Gary Fisher Rumblefish I 29er Full Suspension

4.69/5 (16 Reviews)

• Frame: 6011 hydroformed butted aluminum mainframe & stays, cold-forged dropouts, G2 29" Geometry, DRCV shock mount, E2, ABP
  • Wheels: Bontrager QR15 front hub, Shimano M529 rear hub, Bontrager Duster 29 rims, Bontrager 29-3 tires
  • Componentry: Shimano SLX Direct Mount front derailleur, Shimano SLX Shadow rear derailleur, Shimano SLX shifters, Shimano FC-M542 crank, Avid Elixir 5 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: Fox F120 RL 29, 120mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 51mm offset crown; Custom Fox Float RP2 with DRCV, 110mm travel, 2-position Pro Pedal

Submitted by boiler 1220

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2012

Strengths:    Great climber. I just bought the bike after breaking the frame on my 97 schwinn S-20. The bike climbs really well. I find myself doing less work and more riding then when on my old 20

Weaknesses:    Seams very unstable when going fast downhill. The front shock leaks air and i will have to return it. Ive had the bike one week

Bottom Line:
Very nice bike, i still need a little time with my first 29er but like the bike alot. I find myself having to work alot less to get over things. And can enjoy the ride a little more. The bike has improved my climbing 100 percent. A very nice bike

Submitted by xc_rumblefish a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, Virginia, USA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2012

Strengths:    Confidence inspiring on the downhills, climbs well for such a large bike (pro pedal), rips through rock gardens, active breaking pivot is very much appreciated especially on steep and twisty descents, precise steering (15mm Thru-axle), keeps your line no matter what by which I mean it completely ignores < 4" rocks, roots and ruts.

Weaknesses:    Fox RP2 DRCV shock is almost a total showstopper because it has leaked air since day one resulting in inconsistent performance between rides. Too bad the bike's rear suspension is 6.75" which means you'll never find a replacement unit. Compared to that everything else is just nit picking but I will say low speed cornering could be a hair tighter. (yet maintains its precision) Additionally, I wouldn't recommend the bike for people that spend more time airborne than on the trail on account of the slightly awkward "rear cockpit" setup (could be aliviated with a shorter stem or even a smaller frame in some cases) as well as its tendency to want to endo landings, something the large wheelbase doesn't help with in this case. Another small issue is the front shock doesn't use the last 10mm of travel. No name Shimano crankset is disappointing (albeit durable) for the price range. Nearly impossible to wheelie for extended distances. Can't bunny hop this bike as easily or as high as most.

Bottom Line:
Gary Fisher & Trek have made something special here - the G2 geometry is as close to perfect as you'll find on a 29er and the ABP braking is phenomenal. While the price felt slightly inflated for the SLX/no name grouping and relatively heavy weight after converting to tubeless and a bout of upgradiitis the Rumblefish turned into one hell of a trail slaying beast! You'll consistently find yourself taking straighter lines through rougher terrain with less and less effort giving you the confidence to lay of the brakes and rather hang onto the trackless roller coaster for dear life. You won't regret your decision to buy one.

Purchased At:   East Coasters

Shimano XTR RD-M985 Rear Derailleur
Shimano M552 22-32-42 Crankset
Shimano XTR PD-M985 Pedals
Shimano XT BR-M785 Brakes w/ 203mm/160mm IceTech Rotors
SRAM XG-1099 Cassette (11-36)
KMC X10SL Ti Chain
Stan's ZTR Arch Ex / Industry Nine / Sapim Polyax / Sapim CX-Ray Wheelset
Maxxis Ikon Exo Tires (Stan's Tubeless)

Submitted by jon stecker a Cross Country Rider from mt pleasant sc usa

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2012

Strengths:    very stiff lateraly, attention to detail,comfort

Weaknesses:    suspension has durability issues. I would steer clear of drcv anything unless you live next door to the fox factory. Supposed to be serviced every 130 hours, thats four times a year for me. With at least two weeks wait every time. I cant find anyone else who likes to work on these. GF put a 6.75 shock on. Nobody makes a 6.75 anymore. cant even replace with a rockshox. I noticed in 2012 they changed to a 7.25. the fox fork uppers are about shot too.

Bottom Line:
The bike is great. Best ive every had. I will replace the suspension with rockshox, and probably have to have a custom shock 6.75 made for the rear.

Purchased At:   trekstoremountpleasa

Similar Products Used:   2006 gary fisher paragon
2008 trek 69r ss

Bike Setup:   bike specs (dimensions) are way off on the shop floor compared to the brochure (short). solved with a setback set post.

Submitted by DG a Cross Country Rider from San Diego,Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2011

Strengths:    repectable weight(28lbs/21"), mostly decent spec, climbs surprisingly well, decends wickedly. 29" wheels are well matched to this suspension.

Weaknesses:    Hmm, crankset-generic shimano.
Wheelset-ditto(numerous flashy stickers aside)but after riding a couple of months they do seem strong and functional enough... we'll see.
Finish;white's not my favorite color for a Mt.bike, and there's a lot of white on this bad boy.
All in all nothing major, it's just that at this price point I kind of hoped to see a higher end crank etc.

Bottom Line:
This is a big, tall bike, and it took a little getting used to, but once I did I can now barely stand any of my old 26ers. As I said, it climbs surprisingly well, is nimble on single track, and really-really comes alive on descents. Even though I listed the mediocre crank and wheelset as negatives, everything on this bike works well together. The Rumblefish platform is stable. When I like a bike, I tend to hang on to it for a long time, and I really love this bike. It has that combination of stoutness to nimbleness that feels right. If someone is looking for a bike in this price range I would say you won't be disappointed. Just buy it, set the sag, air up the tires and get stoked.

Favorite Trail:   not telling

Similar Products Used:   a plethora of 26ers

Bike Setup:   stock/tubeless/Easton EC90 riser bar.

Submitted by Casmp a Weekend Warrior from Yucaipa, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2011

Strengths:    Size DOES matter!

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This bike has more ability than I do. It feels like the bike has a mind of its own when I am riding. Especially the technical stuff. I am more hesitant coming from a lefty fork that was not right for my size. After this upgrade, I no longer have to hesitate. The Fox front fork is more than sufficient. The 29er is absolutely amazing. This bike climbs easier and I feel each pedal stroke is more efficient. Obstacles are no longer as problematic as they used to be on my 26 inch wheels with a lefty fork. I am 6'3" 225lbs and this bike serves me well.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail anywhere...Tahoe Rim Trail is awesome though

Purchased At:   Yucaipa Bike Center

Similar Products Used:   Just upgraded from a Cannondale Prophet Lefty

Bike Setup:   Stock with tubeless tires

Submitted by Tuckerman a Weekend Warrior from Tolland, CT

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2011

Strengths:    This thing rolls over everything, climbs very well, corner nicely. Very sure footed on technical downhills - especially when cornering

Weaknesses:    Color - who would make a mountain bike white? I guess it looks ok - kinda mean like a great white shark.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks the rocks - buy is now and have some fun this summer

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere at Grayville

Purchased At:   Pedal Power, Vernon,

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert, Giant AC Air, ProFlex 957 and GT RTS-1

Bike Setup:   Stock except I cut 1 inch off both sides of handlebars, rock ring and switched out to SRAM 9 shifters and rear D

Submitted by fesch a Cross Country Rider from Springfield, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2011

Strengths:    Suspension is plush even eating logs and roots, I love taking drops and catching air with this bike. Excellent breaking, with the ABP. Thru-axle 29" wheels keeps steering precise. A fun bike to ride.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager 29 2.25" tubed tires.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, it is fun to ride, taking drops is a joy. I haven't found anything annoying or any problems in 6 months.

I think Trek should put better stock tires on it and I would have preferred GF style paint instead of the Trek paint. Mechanically this bike has been great, I have only replaced the chain and the tires. Two thumbs up.

I would suggest that anyone considering a full suspension 29er try one of these bikes on their favorite trail.

Favorite Trail:   Accotink

Purchased At:   Bike Lane

Similar Products Used:   GF HiFi Deluxe.

Bike Setup:   Stock +
Nobby Nic 29 x 2.25 tubeless
Joplin 4 R drop post
Time ATAC carbon pedals

Submitted by TX-BoneDigger a Cross Country Rider from Tyler, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2011

Strengths:    Good mix of components, sturdy and well designed frame, through-axle hubs, tapered headset. This bike is a blast!

Weaknesses:    For the price, none to speak of.

Bottom Line:
As a Clydesdale (240 lbs), I wanted a well build and beefy FS 29er. I am not as young as I used to be (43) and my back often hurts on my hardtail after a couple of hours. The bikes I seriously considered locally were the Specialized Camber 29er, the Fisher HiFi Deluxe, and the Rumblefish 1. After spending some time on these bikes in demos, I decided on the RF 1. I really like how this bike rides. It climbs well and descends like no bike I have ever owned. With a lifetime on the frame and 2-years on the pivots and swingarm, this bike should last for a while. From all that I have read, Fisher/Trek has fixed the frame breakage issues it once had. I have no doubt this bike will be a keeper for many years of riding. If you are looking for a good sturdy bike built for fun, this is the bike for you. It probably wouldn't serve very well as a racing bike but for trail use and XC riding, it's a blast. I have not noticed any flexing of the wheels or frame. It seems to be a really well put together package.
Go get one... NOW!

Favorite Trail:   Tyler State Park

Purchased At:   Simpsons Adventure S

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Camber Elite 29er, Various 29er hardtails

Bike Setup:   Stock (for now)

Submitted by joebreez a Weekend Warrior from CT,USA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2010

Strengths:    Decent mix of parts, good value, bike does everything I need it to do.

Weaknesses:    Generic Shimano cranks(minor complaint), lack of available wheel sets.

Bottom Line:
Overall an exceptionally good bike. I weigh 210lbs and I wanted a bike that wasn't going to break constantly. I wanted a through axle front fork and at least 5" up front. The dual rate shock in the back works very well. Do yourself a favor, when you get the bike home D/L the shock pressures sheet from the Trek website,well worth the time. I've ridden sections of trail I'd never made before, rough rocky climbs that I used to get hung up in on my old 26er. The Rumblefish hooks up very well while climbing, a small amount of bob but so much more traction. A decent parts spec overall except for the Generic cranks and I didn't like the Elixer 5 setup. The infamous rear brake noise, poor rotor design?
So far I'm very happy with this ride,smoother ride over roots rocks etc, great traction climbing, rips on the downhills and has enough travel to do some light drop ins.
As for lack of wheel sets available aftermarket, I think the stock set that the bike comes with isn't half bad. 1900 grams total is decent for a 29er wheel set. The rear wheel is the one that is hard to match, 10mm through axle X 142mm spacing. A bit odd but you can find hubs aftermarket.
Overall I love this bike, a real work horse that gets the job done. Very capable and comfortable riding.
Also the bike weighs in at 29 lbs stock.
I think it's a great value

Favorite Trail:   Monster at Blue Mt NY

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Did some demo's of Rumblefish 1($2900), Superfly 100($6200)Pivot 429($4500).
You do the math...

Bike Setup:   Stock except for upgrade to Formula RX brakes

Submitted by Bad Bob a Weekend Warrior from phoenix

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2010

Strengths:    Great Bike will go over anything. With the correct tires and the rear shock in Pro it will climb very well! great suspension! Great brakes!

Weaknesses:    The tubeless ready tires it came with were a joke.Both self destructed. Replaced them with the same tires but that are really tubeless, what a climber now!
Seat sucks replaced it.Put Deity Pedals on it, Love them!

Bottom Line:
This was a great purchase. I have had months of fun on it and so far it has been bullet proof. The stock tires were bad the front one came apart at 20mph, not fun, but that was really the only major problem.I have gone over rocks that I knew were going to kill me with no problem. The bike is a blast!
The Bontrager team issue tubeless tires, the real ones, work great and I like them a lot. I was thinking of replacing the rear shock the RP2 with a RP23 but it works so good I'm not sure I want to do it.

Favorite Trail:   Squaw peak

Price Paid:    $2060.00

Purchased At:   Slippery Pig

Similar Products Used:   Stump Jumper, Great bike

Bike Setup:   Stock shock setup. 30 lb in tires. Rear shock in pro most of time, works great that way.

Submitted by gsutk1 a Weekend Warrior from Chattanooga, TN

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2010

Strengths:    Geometry is great! Full-suspension 29er is very plush and plenty nimble (coming from a hardtail 29er). Brakes are excellent, used SRAM in past, but am really liking Shimano shifters. Didn't feel heavy and climbed very well.

Weaknesses:    maybe BB clearance, but worth the trade-off to get 26" feel and nimbleness. Also would have liked lock-out option on rear shock but pro-pedal is nice. Not sure how well the paint will hold-up, may be prone to cable rub, etc.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a plush riding 29er this is a great option. I'm not a Fisher or Trek fanboy, I just really liked the product. I would have probably been just as happy with a Stumpjumper FSR 29er. If your primary metric is weight, the Hi-Fi or Tallboy are probably better options. If you want plush, you’ll want to take a Rumblefish for a spin.

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mountain

Price Paid:    $2050.00

Purchased At:   Trek Store Chattanoo

Similar Products Used:   Own a Diamondback Overdrive (great entry-level hardtail 29er); Demoed Giant XTC 29er (not nimble!) & Giant Anthem (Loved!)

Bike Setup:   I'm 6'1" 195lbs, sized for a large but went with a Medium (for nimbleness) with a 20mm setback seat post and may extend the stem from 90mm to 100mm in the future. Also went tubeless mainly out of curiosity. Shimano M540 pedals (although M520’s are just fine). Otherwise everything is stock - Shimano SLX, Fox front and rear.

Submitted by taz047 a Weekend Warrior from bend, oregon,bend

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2010

Strengths:    good handling, plenty of travel, rolls over everything

Weaknesses:    saddle may want to be replaced

Bottom Line:
Great bike, have ridden it for two days and like it the more i ride it. A bit heavy, but a great bike for the money. suspension works great so far. Even does good on climbs....a first for a 29er full suspension. Would recommend to a friend.

Favorite Trail:   new river gorge

Purchased At:   pinemountain

Similar Products Used:   specialized stumpjumper,expert

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by SR92 a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2010

Strengths:    36 tooth cog in the rear end lends help taking 29" tires uphill.
Fox DRCV Shock provides two modes of rebound, soft then harder.
Fox F29 120mm fork is very solid and performs well under load.
QR15 front quick release provides stability and strength.
Frame is oversized, solid and comes with a lifetime warranty.
SLX two way shifters allow for shifting under braking.
Active Braking Pivot (ABP) allows for braking during suspension flex.
Wide front handlebar and Bontrager grips are very comfortable.
185mm Shimano front brake and 160mm rear are very capable of stopping the bike.

Weaknesses:    Stock seat was not very comfortable. Other than that I have found no other weaknesses not attributable to the rider!

Bottom Line:
Wow! My wife ordered the Rumblefish for me after I raved about it during a demo in November. (Cool wife huh?) After riding the first 150 miles on it, I am very impressed with everything about how the bike handles. I find I am much more confident due to how well it handles large obstacles and drops (29" wheels help here). The shocks are particularly pliant for small bumps and then firm gradually (GF calls this Dual Rate Control Valve or DRCV) and allow a lot of flex without giving up that they have a limit. The 36 tooth cog makes hills much easier, even considering the 29" tires. I love the two-way Shimano SLX shifters and have found that the bike can easily shift or brake or flex its suspension under load. Frequently I tackle steep (25+ degree) uphills in low gear in the saddle. Trek's ABP allows a lot of control when braking and the 29-3 tires keep me planted in traction (except in deep mud). The only modifications I made to the stock offering were to swap the saddle (for comfort) and the pedals (to match my current shoes). Overall, I highly recommend the Rumblefish One to XC riders looking to take their game to the next level.

Favorite Trail:   North Park

Purchased At:   Trek of Pittsburgh C

Similar Products Used:   Rode Gary Fisher Tassajara. Prior to purchase tested G-F Roscoe, G-F HiFi, Trek Remedy, Trek Fuel EX8, Pivot Firebird.

Bike Setup:   Bone stock as purchased with addition of Trek Incite ACH computer, swap to WTB Pure V saddle and swap to Shimano SPD pedals.

Submitted by DownbeatDave a Cross Country Rider from Hood River, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2010

Strengths:    (1) 36 tooth max rear cog
(2) 15QR thru-axle
(3) DRCV rear shock
(4) a bit more front travel (not so important)
(5) better stock tires for my home in Hood River, Oregon
(6) Active Braking Pivot
(7) totally neutral handling
(8) VALUE!

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy

Bottom Line:
Very impressive bike. Handles like a 26er, but has the sure-footedness of a 29er (shorter wheelbase, G2, front thru-axle). Mid-range componentry works well even if a bit heavy; Fox RL fork doesn't have FIT like the RLC, but it is simpler and does have 15QR (a big plus); and the DRCV shock effectively adds another 1" of rear movement by making the most of the travel available. Price point is just right. Cost would jump up another $1000+ (Rumblefish 2) to get a few ounces of weight savings and a few more features in the fork and shock (which can always be upgraded later). The Active Braking Pivot REALLY WORKS! It's like the anti-lock brakes of mountain biking. Also, I found I don't even bother with Pro Pedal and fork lockout when climbing. First thing I replaced was the saddle with one that has a padded front end. Just sit forward on the saddle and the RumbleFish will climb ANYTHING! The bike has great climbing ability (even though, since it's a bit heavy, it takes slightly more work), plus unreal downhill speed and control. All-in-all, it's everything I've ever wanted in a mountain bike. I would recommend this bike to my friends, but only at the end of the season... I'm having too much fun blasting by them on the mountain right now!

Favorite Trail:   Post Canyon (daily ride 3 blocks from home)

Purchased At:   Bike Gallery (downto