Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29 29er Full Suspension

4.24/5 (25 Reviews)

• Frame: 6011 hydroformed butted aluminum mainframe & stays, cold-forged dropouts, G2 29" Geometry, top swing magnesium link, E2, ABP
  • Wheels: Shimano M525 hubs, Bontrager SSR 29 disc rims, Bontrager XDX tires
  • Componentry: Shimano SLX Direct Mount front derailleur, SRAM X.7 rear derailleur, SRAM X.5 shifters, Shimano Deore M590 crank, Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: Fox F100 RL 29, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 51mm offset crown; Fox Float RP2, 110mm travel, 2-position Pro Pedal

Submitted by Chris

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2013

Strengths:    Good...when it actually works, which is rare.

Weaknesses:    Brake and shifting components are constant problems. Wheels and saddle are terrible as well.

Bottom Line:
Apparently I got a lemon after looking at other reviews. I purchased two Trek bikes (Superfly and HiFi plus) and both have been nothing but problems. On the Superfly I ended up replacing the frame (components worked fine). On the HiFi the frame was solid but of the approximately 30 trail rides that I have taken it on, I have walked the bike out of about 50-75% of the rides. The bike has been to over 10 respected bike shops and no one can fix the problems. Mostly the problems are with the shifting, breaking chains, ect. Needless to say I will never buy a Trek bike again.

Anyone want to buy a 2011 Trek HiFi plus for cheap??

Submitted by Jeff

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2013

Strengths:    Downhill stability! This bike creates confidence and will deliver you home safely.

Weaknesses:    Saddle is terrible, replace it immediately. Juicy 3 brakes are okay but you could certainly improve your braking power.

Bottom Line:
I'm a big guy, 6'3" 245 lbs. If you are in that range (6'1" to 6'5" or bigger), than this bike is for you. At just over the 2K retail price...Affordability is reasonable and you get a lot for your buck!

Submitted by davidshabat a Racer from Toccoa, GA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2012

Strengths:    G2 Geometry, Fox fork, easy to modify

Weaknesses:    Heavy as purchased, sluggish handling, seems low at the BB.

Bottom Line:
It is VERY predictable everywhere I take it. And I take it everywhere. I don't know whether to rate the bike as stock or as I ride it. If I rate it as I ride it, I'd give it 5 chilis because it feels like part of me when I'm on it. But, when I bought it, it felt sluggish and heavy like a school bus, especially with that 700mm steering wheel and heavy hoops.

Favorite Trail:   GIHP Conyers - Granite Side

Purchased At:   Biketown USA

Similar Products Used:   GF HiFi Deluxe 26" (2007)

Bike Setup:   EC90 flat bar, Stans ZTR Crest wheels/Stans hubs, x9 2x10 shifters/crankset, X.0 FD/RD, PG-1070 rear end, stock Fox Fork, Fox RP23 rear shock, Noir aluminum 0 setback post, Giant cheapo 15 degree down 70mm stem, elixir CR 160 f/r, stock saddle, Candy2 pedals

Submitted by CbadClyde a Weekend Warrior from Carlsbad, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2012

Strengths:    Frame size/Geometry for a big rider (6'4", 210lbs)
29" wheels roll over everything
Dig the black and grey paint with black rims
Suspension is very nice, smooth, and climbs great (with Pro Pedal on)

Weaknesses:    Tires are weak. They seem to slip pretty easy, particularly the skinny rear tire.
Brakes (Juicy) are OK, much better than my old linear pull bakes, but the front brake squeals consistently.
Seat is marginal...not the most comfortably, but not high on my list of future upgrades either.

Bottom Line:
I'm a big rider (6'4", 210lbs) and had been riding a 1994 Specialized Rock Hopper with front suspension only. This bike makes riding, particularly steep climbs, rocky loose trails, a much more enjoyable experience. But the real fun is downhill or cruising at speed. This bike flies downhill and seems to accelerate on it's own. Suspension is very nice for XC absorbing most rocks and bumps with some feel, but not disruption. This was a steal at $1500.

One thing I am struggling a bit with is the positioning of the shifters and the brakes on the bar. I have relatively big hands (XL gloves) and I sometimes hit the shifter with parts of my hand inadvertently. Also the brake level position I can't seem to get completely comfortable because the shifters are in the way. It's a minor thing, but it is gripe. Not sure other bikes are any different as I really didn't pick up on this until I had ridden 10+ hours...

Anyway, I highly recommend this bike as it is a great value.

Favorite Trail:   Rancho La Costa

Purchased At:   Trek Superstore Vist

Similar Products Used:   I tested the Specialized Camber 29er. Very similar suspension design and geometry. The Trek was $150 less and just seemed to fit better.

Bike Setup:   Standard out of the box setup

Submitted by Bikin Fool a Cross Country Rider from Calistoga, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, nimble quick

Weaknesses:    Exploding chain stays

Bottom Line:
I was truly blown away with the phenomenal handling. Despite what people say about 29ers, this bike accelerates and climbs well. What I like the most is the huge increase in stability with the faster speeds. The big wheels and clever geometry allows one to blow over technical challenges that rival a downhill bike. This one bike has improved my riding 200 per cent. Unfortunately it is a lightweight and is prone to breaking. This one has failed at least twice.

Favorite Trail:   Wild Lilac

Purchased At:   Craig's list

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Superlight, Nomad

Bike Setup:   Joplin seat post, tubeless tires, stock Sram components

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Keene NH

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2010

Strengths:    Overall comfort, rolls great, fun to run downhill, seems quick.

Weaknesses:    Shifting? (Chain hops- could be just an adjustment?)

Bottom Line:
I went from an old Jamis (1996 vintage) to this bike, OMG!!! Love it... I'm a big guy, 6'1", 210, very comfortable both climbing and downhills. Still getting used to the bike overall, 29" tires and such and the full suspension. I have nothing but good things to say about this bike-

PS- The seats seems ok by me?

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Norms Ski & Bike in

Bike Setup:   Still tweaking it

Submitted by cottonball a Cross Country Rider from PA.

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2010

Strengths:    Very nice ride, climbs great, everything worked great, shifters, brakes, wheels.

Weaknesses:    The stock wheels are heavy but can be built tubeless to lighten them up, Narrow bars.

Bottom Line:
I got a 2009 Hi Fi Plus and had to first change the bars to something wider and a riser. I used the stock wheels for a couple rides and then used a set of lighter wheels set up tubeless. Everything else is stock. This is a great bike. I have had several hardtails and a GF Caliber and own a Niner Rip 9. This bike feels light, climbs great and handles like the 26 inch wheeled bikes I have had. After the brakes broke in they work very nice. I can't believe how nice this bike rides and the handling is great, must be the G2. Fox fork is nice and the Fox shock is all I need. I don't now why anyone should buy a frame that cost as much as the entire bike.

Favorite Trail:   Local

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Caliber and Niner Rip 9

Bike Setup:   This is the 2009 model. Changed bar to a wider riser and used a tubeless Bontrager race wheelset.

Submitted by mefistofeles a Weekend Warrior from Diamond Bar, CA., United States of America

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2010

Strengths:    The suspension is dialed so well. Not can is this bike capable on the downhills it can actually climb

Weaknesses:    Although the Juicy 3 brakes are adequate on this bike,in fact the 2010 Juicy 3's feel far better than the 2009's I had on my XTC 29er 1, I feel that they are a weak point. This bike is so capable on the downhills that if you're not careful you'll could definitely overpower the brakes. The saddle is awful, this was the first thing to go on my bike!

Bottom Line:

The Hifi Plus 29er is a great bike. On the straights it's possible to keep with a hardtail 29er. Although this bike is good on the climbs and exhibits very little pedal bob, it's just not quite as good as a hardtail 29er. The difference is small but noticable.

On the downhills this thing is an absolute beast and inspires incredible confidence. Although I haven't taken the bike into the rock gardens it seems to have handled every other descent with impunity. Steep sharp,high speed drops no problem! Downhill runs on this bike are almost boring it has so much high speed stability that you really never worry.

Descents that felt scary or sketchy on my XTC 29er1 hardtail feel uneventful on the Hifi Plus 29er. The only real weakpoint is the saddle, the saddle is awful and I had to replace it immediately when I bought this bike, I couldn't stand it.

Gary Fisher has done an outstanding job on this bike and has built a suspension system that can climb and descend well. Just go into any bikestore and look at the suspension on this bike,its monstrous and looks like it can take anything.

Although the Hifi Plus 29er isn't quite as fast on the climbs as a hardtail 29er I think it's a far more complete package. You get most of the benefits of a hardtail 29er and amazing downhill speed and controllability.

The Juicy 3's should also be switched out, they're not bad brakes( at least the 2010 Juicy 3's) but they're really outmatched by this bike. The Hifi Plus 29er is truly in it's element on a long high speed descent and you need brakes that can handle what this bike can do.

Overall I am very pleased with this bike,it won't be the best at any one thing but it can do so many things well that you'll probably find yourself turning to it more often than anything else. The Hifi Plus 29er is a true do it all bike.

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC 29er 1
Gary Fisher Rig
Trance X1
XTC Advanced
Dahon Fuego

Bike Setup:   Persons Leather Saddle
Shimano Saint Brakes ,they're being installed.

Submitted by adamhopper a Cross Country Rider from Royal Oak, MI.

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    Ground clearence, Downhill bombing, rolling momentum on 29s.

Weaknesses:    2008 was a weak frame (mine broke), stock tires, rock shox reba fork, stock fox rear shock has a useless propedal function and terrible bobing on a standing or sitting climb.

Bottom Line:
After 1.5 years on the ugly green bike the frame broke in two pieces at the drop out on the derailer side. I came down off of a small jump at only 15 mph and heard a snap and then the tire was rubbing against the frame. (I weigh 230lbs geared up) Tires were at 40lbs each and the shocks were set to the firmest. The store I bought it from handled the warranty. To my delight the frame was lifetime warrantied. After three long weeks of wondering how I was going to get screwed by Gary Fisher on the warranty the store called me to say my new frame was in. 3 days later I picked it up. Screwed? Not at all! A new Chilli Red 2009 HIFI PRO frame and the longer travel Fox rp23 rear shock to go with it. The bike was beautiful and the shop ate the $175 labor for building it. Thankyou Jesus!!! Rode it today and it was a much better ride than ever before. The new shock made a world of difference, hardly any pedal bobing. I'm enjoying the trail again and thrilled with my new 2009 HIFI pro/plus. As for the reba fork, it is leaking oil liberally out of the top by the lockout dial. It has already been rebuilt twice, once by rock shox and once by the shop. I'm switching to Fox if RS doesn't send me a new upgraded one for my troubles.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Purchased At:   American Cycle & Fit

Bike Setup:   Specialized Captain Control tires (love em), Switched to sram X9 rear derailer (quicker and cleaner)

Submitted by mcompton a Weekend Warrior from Saint Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, rolls well, comfortable

Weaknesses:    Seat smashed my nards, tires slick, rear derailleur hops periodically

Bottom Line:
This bike makes me look better than I am. It seams real good to a average rider. She fly's down hills. Rollercoasters are great! I found a need to stay in the seat to keep the rear planted. I am over the bars in the corners to cut down on washout. Switch-backs are improving with seat time.

Favorite Trail:   Berryman

Purchased At:   Alpine Sho

Similar Products Used:   GF Cobia

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by tcapri87 a Racer from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2009

Strengths:    Good climber. Good weight for being a 29er. Greatly improved my climbing, downhill, and technical ability since I got the bike. Seems to hold up pretty well. Put over 1100 miles on it. Just changed out the drive train after 1000 miles. All the shifters and brakes are doing well, havent had any issues with it.

Weaknesses:    Not 100% durable. Bent both wheels, had to replace the front wheel. Broke the chain stay. Not the first Gary Fisher bike that I rode where I broke the frame.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Only thing is I do ride alot and do ride hard. Have bent both wheels and broken the chain stay. No issues from Gary Fisher replacing it. Will probably not go back to 26 inch wheel. Love the bike, hope to have it for a while.

Favorite Trail:   Loch Raven

Purchased At:   Bike Stop

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Procaliber

Bike Setup:   Other then the core components, I added a WTB Dual Duty 29er front wheel and an upgraded stem.

Submitted by Tom Branton a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2009

Strengths:    Very stable, maintains mometum well, climbs over obstacles better than 26er, smooths out ride, lightweight (29 lbs.) for the size and price. Lower to mid range components are working fine so far. The hydralic brakes are a big improvement over v-brakes.

Weaknesses:    Seat was uncomfortable. Had a lot of flats initally. Tubes too thin. Doesn't corner in tight places as well as my Epic did. Slight pedal bob when compared with the Epic's brain.

Bottom Line:
As a Clydesdale, I wanted a more comfortable ride that would maintain momentum better, climb obtacles and inclines better, and increase my overall speed. And I didn't want a heavier bike that cost an arm and a leg. Mission accomplished. I loved my Epic, but I like this bike even more. Now my rides are faster, smoother, and more fun. If I had the $, I'd get the hi-fi pro, but I got a great deal on a 2008 hi-fi plus in Feb. and have no regrets.

Favorite Trail:   Potowatami, Pinkney, MI

Purchased At:   Wheels In Motion, An

Similar Products Used:   First 29er. A definite improvement over my 26ers.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except I replaced the seat with a Softail and had LX trigger shifters installed, so I could use my XTR rapid rise rear deraileur. Also added ergonomic grips.

Submitted by jt a Cross Country Rider from Cherry Hill, NJ

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2009

Strengths:    first 29er I've ridden and thought it would take a bit to get used to it. Nope, the setup was comfortable right out of the gate and I had to look at the wheels to see that they were larger than those on my Santa Cruz Superlight. Corners well, climbs over crap like a goat, not bad downhill either. I was also surprised (pleasently) how well it it handled tight & twisty and accelerates.
I've had about 70 miles on it in 6 different locations and so far nothing has really given it a hard time.

Weaknesses:    Sadly, most of the components are from the bottom and next to bottom shelf adding weight. A mix of Deore and LX, as well as bottom of the barrel Bontrager stuff. The wheels seemed a bit flexy and the seat is already self destructing. The stapled on cover has come loose around the nose. On the second ride, the rear derailleur cable housing blew apart though no sign of anything hitting or catching on it. As with everyone else who's reported, the Avid brakes vibrate and hum terribly.

Bottom Line:
OK, everything is a compromise, so while this is a comfortable bike to ride and handles very well w/o being exceptionally heavy, they used some lower end components to keep the price point down. It worked. You can always go for a higher end model that will naturally cost more up front, be lighter, stronger and most likely go further before having to replace parts. Or, go for the + and upgrade as needed. It's still a very good bike for the buck.

Favorite Trail:   Middle Run/White Clay, DE.

Purchased At:   demo bike

Bike Setup:   Stock HiFi+ See Gary Fisher site for specs

Submitted by wyodoc86 a Cross Country Rider from Montrose CO

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2009

Strengths:    efficient , great climber , ride all day and still have the energy to kick it up a notch.

Weaknesses:    not a plush downhiller. The brakes ( avid 5) vibrated and howled terribly for the first several months but the LBS worked it out.

Bottom Line:
I rode this for a year and loved the 29er concept. Decided I might need a higher end 29FS , so demoed a Turner Sultan DW for a week. It is a great bike, totally smoothes out the big and the little hits. It is efficient if you sit and spin but by the end of a 4-6 hr ride you can feel the price of the 5" DW link. The hi fi is no where as plush but it's climbing and xc performance is outstanding. Also tried the Lenz moth and it is somewhere between the two.The hi fi has some frame breakage reports on the blogs but I have riden in sw Colorado , fruita , moab , Crested Butte etc for 1.5 yrs now w no issues and there is a lifetime guarn. So every bike has its plus and minus but for an incredible xc 29er you can spend more but the hi fi is a screaming deal and just plain fun to ride.

Favorite Trail:   aspen loop

Similar Products Used:   turner DW sultan , lenz moth , blur SC 26er.Moots ybb 26.

Bike Setup:   stock deluxe. Fox fork.Bonti rythm wheels.

Submitted by ZGOZZ a Weekend Warrior from Edison NJ USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2009

Strengths:    Good Riding bike,Great climber,Fast downhill on or over anything, confident high speed handling,fox fr and rr, carbon parts, light weight for FS. Hydraulic disc brakes are strong, fox shocks smooth out the ride. First 29er and I will never go back.

Weaknesses:    1st is the saddle, terrible. The brakes howled at first but but bike is still breaking in. Handle bar sweep uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
This is my first FSB, and a 29er.
Bike is great, love it.