Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29 29er Full Suspension

4.47/5 (32 Reviews)

• Frame: 6011 hydroformed butted aluminum mainframe & stays, cold-forged dropouts, G2 29" Geometry, top swing magnesium link, E2, ABP
  • Wheels: Bontrager Alloy, Shimano M525SL hubs, Bontrager Duster 29 rims, Bontrager XDX tires
  • Componentry: Shimano SLX Direct Mount front derailleur, SRAM X.9 rear derailleur, SRAM X.7 shifters, Shimano FC-M542 crank, Avid Elixir 5 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: Fox F100 RL 29, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 51mm offset crown; Fox Float RP2, 110mm travel, 2-position Pro Pedal

Submitted by Brad Hammon

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2013

Strengths:    Not many, seems how I can't get trek to fix the warranty issue with all the pivots and headset freezing up. The bike was great for the first 3 months, after that a huge piece. Trek is not concerned with good customer support, they don't stand by the bikes they make. Third trek I have owned, never again, going else where.

Weaknesses:    Warranty; the fact that trek will bull sh!# all day about how its fine; really hurts during riding season.

Bottom Line:
I would not recommend this bike for anyone who likes to ride, it will disappoint you. The sad thing is that this company that my family has been loyal to, sucks! Buy a bike from a company that will support you when they send you a messed up bike. I understand that some bikes are just not right, what I don't understand is why trek is not standing by their product.

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2012

Strengths:    light, nice balance, fast

Weaknesses:    rear triangle

Bottom Line:
Loved the bike, but common problem with rear triangle breaking. I am a 57 yr old intermediate rider and there is no way that the rear triangle should break. It breaks in the lower arm near the welds. My buddy's hifi pro broke in the same place. Trek does not have any replacements available.

Favorite Trail:   western pa

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   none yet, but probably switching to specialized epic

Bike Setup:   mostly stock, sram, WTB seat, Specialized grips, monkey lite bars

Submitted by moorecolorado a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2012

Strengths:    Great suspension, solid components, good price point, love the color scheme (and the satin-finish / non-glossy paint job), as light as my old hardtail, 29-inch wheels roll over everything.

Weaknesses:    I've read it in other reviews, but believe me... the tires really do stink.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike... granted, it's the first full-suspension bike I have owned (been riding the same hardtail for the past 10-years, so anything is going to be an improvement), but I still think it's a great bike. Aside from the dual suspension, I love the 29-inch wheels... I have ridden Ute Valley & Palmer Park for many years on 26-inch wheels and I am now going over obstacles that used to be troublesome. I like the lock-out feature on the rear suspension and use it frequently on climbs... minimal bobbing on the ups & it eats up the downhills with ease. It turns well, even around the tightest corners and shifts wonderfully. The only downside is the tires... the Bontrager sidewalls are already wearing out... I've even developed an eraser-sized hole in one of the sidewalls already... in the first 100-miles! They are crap & I fully intend to upgrade to better tires as soon as these go (which shouldn't be too long).

I got a great price on it because I got an employee discount at the vendor, plus they happened to be offering $100 of in-store credit if you bought a 29-er... it was too good of deal to pass up. I bought it rather impulsively and have ZERO regrets. I'm a pretty aggressive rider and feel it's the perfect bike. Plus, I'm relatively beefy (6-foot, 215-lbs) and it holds up great... the geometry is great, the frame size is great... I will be happy with this bike for a number of years.

I'm looking forward to taking it to Moab this fall during our annual guys weekend away. I'm certain I'll love it.

Favorite Trail:   Palmer Park

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Bicycle Village

Similar Products Used:   Have demo'd an Ibis Mojo SL (in Fruita, CO) & a Niner Rip 9 (at Moab)... have ridden an old-school Schwinn Homegrown Comp for years! I hated to give it up, but after trashing the rear-derailleur at Moab this past fall, I was hesitant to put any more $$$ into it... might as well spend that $100 towards a new & modern bike!

Bike Setup:   Stock... no modifications (yet). Will replace the tires soon...

Submitted by trail topher a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2012

Strengths:    G2 geometry works great for me. Great frame and fork for the $.

Weaknesses:    Tires are terrible. Swap out handlebar for something with less sweep. Brakes were tough to get set up.

Bottom Line:
The 2010 HiFi is a really well balanced trail bike. I've been on a Fisher Rig since 2008 and really like the steering of the G2 front. The HiFi is perfect for the Colorado front range, enough travel for techy trails but still can hang with the xc racer crowd. If I could only have 1 bike it would be a 4" travel 29er. I looked at the Tall Boy and Epic 29er but for the $ the HiFi had exactly what I was looking for. Before leaving the shop I would upgrade the tires to something like a Nobby Nic front and Racing Ralph rear. I think in it's current build my HiFi weighs in around 27lbs and is incredible at climbing steep and technical trails.

Favorite Trail:   Monument, CO

Purchased At:   Old Town

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Gary Fisher Rig,

Bike Setup:   XT cranks, Bonty carbon bars and seatpost, 990 cassette, ESI grips, eggbeater SL, Bonty Race X Lite wheels, Nevegal front and Crossmark rear

Submitted by Tim Reilley a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Maine, USA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2011

Strengths:    Nice geometry, flies down hills and rolls over most anything. Good in tight turns for a 29er.

Weaknesses:    Stupid swept handlebars. Lousy tires.

Bottom Line:
What a great bike. I was still in love with my '97 Paragon HT when the frame froze and got trashed. I had always resisted FS and 29ers but after I rode a HT and an FS side by side on a nice little climbing trails behind the shop I was sold on FS. This bike is just plain fun. It does not feel as spry as the paragon(yet) but I am still getting used to it. I do love how it rolls on the trails. I watch my poor wife pedaling down technical trails on the 26" Hoo Koo E Koo while I coast and need to use the brakes.

Climbing is very good although I am still tweaking tire pressure to find the optimum setup for traction and rolling resistance. Have yet to try some extreme technical stuff that I could always clean on my Paragon.

At first I hated the shifters. I have been using Sram twisters for 15 years. I was constantly up shifting by accident with the push/push shifters. My big thumbs were hitting them and I kept confusing the up and down from each other. Lots of hunting for the right lever. But once I positioned them properly, I had much less mis-shifts.

Some don't like the graphics but I think the bike looks very cool. Although branded as a Trek it does have Gary Fisher signature graphics on the swing arms. Nice touch to add the neoprene chainstay guard.

Favorite Trail:   Bradbury SP

Purchased At:   Trekportsmouth

Bike Setup:   2011 model year. Changed out handlebars to FSA K-Force lowriser CF bar. Installed IRC Fire XC Pro tires. Eventually going tubeless.

Submitted by P. Ross a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2011

Strengths:    Killer geometry and almost no flexy undulations on fast downhills. Awesome climbed thanks to ABP. Works well in tight technical stuff and flies down fast sections without having to watch how far to push it's limitations.

Weaknesses:    Tires and brakes. Could be a pound or two lighter and have a tad bit more front end travel.

Bottom Line:
This bike rips it and will sell any skeptic on a life as a 29er. Has attributes of a cross country racer, all-mountain stomper and can handle some pretty radical DH for fun. ABP really works as it allows for out-of-the-saddle climbing. Have not found limitations on this bike yet. The faster you push this thing....the smoother the ride. This includes rim eating rock gardens and drastic wash outs.

Similar Products Used:   Superfly

Bike Setup:   Full Easton graphite package. 160mm front rotor with Swiss Stop pads. Navangal / Front & Small Block 8 / Rear.

Submitted by Kody a Cross Country Rider from Vermont

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2011

Strengths:    Geometry feels awesome, climbs well, and decends great for a 100mm travel bike

Weaknesses:    Big sweep handle bars, stock tires, x7 shifters aren't great.

Bottom Line:
This bike is sweet. Its my first fully suspended bike and is a absolute blast to ride. It climbs almost as well as my old hardtail (I actually like it better on really technical ascents, just make sure the propedal is on with the shock), and I can crush people descending. Its definitely not a big travel bike but if you keep those wheels turning fast you should be able to go over almost anything. I also love the geometry. At first it felt a little weird because i was sitting farther forward, but now I love it.
There are definetly a few weaknesses but nothing that makes me regret getting this bike. I swapped out the wheels for some bigger tread immediately and put on some handle bars with less sweep. The stock ones arent too terrible but I prefer the ones I have now. I also put on a salsa bash guard, mostly because it looks bad ass but also so i dont rip my right calf off. My biggest complaint so far is with the shifting. I dont have a lot of experience but the X7 shifters require much more frequent adjustment than the X9 ones that were on my old bike.
When I was buying this bike I was choosing between it and a Specialized Epic comp 29. The geometries were different ( the HIFi sits farther forward, so it feels like you can put out more power) and the epic had the brain, which I really liked. In the end the HiFi was much cheaper and I didn't really need the brain... If I was racing a lot I would have chosen the epic because the brain gives you more rigidity on uphills, but for what I am doing with it it wasn't really necessary.
Overall, I would recommend this bike to anybody. With a few modifications, it could be amazing.

Favorite Trail:   Lynx

Purchased At:   Trek employee purcha

Similar Products Used:   Redline D660

Bike Setup:   Stock w/ crank brothers 6 degree bars, Salsa tooth fairy bash guard, KMC gold chain, and Purgatory tire in the front, captain in the back.

Submitted by zackalope a Cross Country Rider from Gunnison, CO

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2011

Strengths:    This is my first 29er, and my first full suspension bike that fits me well. I haven't noticed any of the standard complaints about either of these or the combination, so...

Climbs well, rolls through rock gardens, soaks up 1-2 foot drops just fine, comfortable on long rides.

Weaknesses:    The stock wheelset goes out of true way easier than I'd like. The elixir 5 levers are flimsy as hell. The tires aren't my favorites.

Bottom Line:
This bike is fun.

Favorite Trail:   Hartman

Purchased At:   Alpineer

Similar Products Used:   K2 Zed team and Razorback team

Bike Setup:   stock, replaced front tire with a 2.3.

Submitted by Gabe S. a Cross Country Rider from GBO NC USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2011

Strengths:    It's a nice bike for the money ,on the races what I do it's well hang with the high $ bikes...Stable ,good handle bike ,rolls over anything...

Weaknesses:    Tires ,Bontrager Duster rims get out of shape easy...

Bottom Line:
If you only have max 2500 $ ,this bike going to do anything what a 3500$ specialized epic does....By watching the rims (keep it trued and tensioned),and changing the tires you will be a competitive rider on club level races ....Nice bike for the money!!!

Favorite Trail:   Owl's Roost NC

Purchased At:   From a friend when t

Similar Products Used:   Giant Talon2 29er

Bike Setup:   Cross country ,handle bar dropped low for better centre of gravity ....pretty much stock only changed tires for better traction ...

Submitted by msr2061 a Cross Country Rider from Erie, PA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2011

Strengths:    Climbing, descending and surprisingly cornering. Well balanced bike-track stands easily. Its not that it's forgiving...its more that it doesn't get into trouble

Weaknesses:    Wheelset a bit heavy. Big ugly ass swept back truck bars from the factory

Bottom Line:
After doing my test ride at the shop I thought "hmmm this is a nice ride". After getting on the trail, my thoughts are "holy shizzznit this bike is amazing". I have to brake through rock gardens...because I keep riding up on people who slow me down. It climbs once impossible rooty loose stone hills> It doesn't descend. It throws itself downhill and carries you gently along. The G2 geometry works in that I corner like my 26...except I roll log piles like my 29. I don't ride dips anymore. I just jump over them. If it had boobs and a vajayjay we'd be married having kids by now. Who should buy it? I'd say high end beginner to just under elites-or if you want to endurance ride/race. Great intro bike if you want to start the gf riding and she's tall enough. Final word: hell yeah I would tell anyone asking about FS bikes to buy this.

Favorite Trail:   Dupont State Forest

Purchased At:   Competitive Gear

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Crosstrail 29, Klein Adept Race XTR/XT

Bike Setup:   Stock except swapped out bar and stem immediately for an easton carbon straight bar

Submitted by muddytire a Cross Country Rider from Memphis, tn, usa

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2011

Strengths:    Light, nimble, fast, did i mention light? Great suspension.

Weaknesses:    Handlebars...the y have roughly the same wingspan as an Airbus. I dont know what they were thinking making the bars this wide...there are frequently places where i have to stop because i cant fit the bars through...that will be my first mod.

Bottom Line:
This might be the last bike i ever own. The bike literally leaves me wanting for nothing. It is fast, nimble and smooth...it is faster than i am.

Keep in mind that all of my riding is cross country stuff...fast single track with some rough, rooty drops and small technical stuff, a few small drops.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by photodog a Racer from SLO, CA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2011

Strengths:    Good suspension, 29'er, stiff frame for a 29'er XC bike

Weaknesses:    Parts are pretty weak for a $2500 bike, X7 shifters are terrible and stock crank/cassette are HEAVY!

Bottom Line:
At 29.7 lbs (XL), it's a very portly bike for XC. With the drivetrain and wheel changes I'm down to 27lbs which is still pretty heavy considering my Nomad is only 2 lbs more even with it's big heavy tires, Joplin post and robust parts. So that takes the HiFi out of the competition as an XC race bike. As a epic ride bike it's pretty good on more tame trails as it rolls very fast, climbs extremely well (propedal on for non-technical climbs, off for rocky/rooty climbs) and is fun on the way down. On the very rocky technical stuff we have here it gets overwhelmed pretty quick but a competent rider can still have a great time. The stiffer fork option on the Rumblefish would have been pretty good, as would the slackening of the head angle as it get's kind of twitchy when things are very steep or at high speeds. I'm actually ordering new lowers with a 15QR from Fox as the fork flex is so bad on the stock fork. Push side to side flexing the front end and you can watch it move an inch and a half side to side! Even as it is, on smoother trails it's a very fun and fast bike. That's probably what it's designed for and I'm pushing it beyond it's intended use but at it's weight I kind of expect more.

The HiFi is a weird bike. I already have a Nomad and a 29'er hardtail and wanted something for XC races and epic length rides where the hardtail was too painful but the Nomad was too heavy. In retrospect, I think the Superfly would have been a better choice as it would have performed the same but been far lighter. For the record, I'm 6'1", 175lbs.

Bottom line: For riders with mostly non-technical trails where flex isn't going to be an issue it's a good bike that's quite capable if you don't want to spend the cash on the Superfly. I imagine that mid-western riders would appreciate what the HiFi has to offer. I do think most trail riders with more aggressive riding styles or with more technical terrain would be better served by the Rumblefish (or RIP 9, Tallboy etc) and anyone wanting to focus on XC racing should save up for the Superfly or Tallboy.

Setup notes: the parts pick on this bike is pretty terrible. I didn't want the "Pro" as I didn't want the race tuned RP23 that comes with it so I accepted that I'd have to do some upgrades. But really, the wheels are pretty bad, the cranks and cassette are crazy heavy, headset doesn't include seals so has to be taken apart and cleaned constantly and the X7 shifters are absolute crap. Because of that, I have to give the value rating a pretty big knock.

Similar Products Used:   I've had lots of bikes

Bike Setup:   Upgrades: X0 2x10 cranks, Thomson Stem, RF bar, Stans Arch/ZTR wheels, X0 cassette

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Little Rock, AR, USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2010

Strengths:    Rolls obstacles 26ers can't, you feel much fresher after a long ride, rolling momentum is much higher, descents are less treacherous

Weaknesses:    Tight switchbacks require you to slow down a little bit more, requires a little more upper body strength to pull through tight turns and get going again

Bottom Line:
After going 29er, I would not go back. I have become much more confident on the trail and hit obstacles without hesitation that I probably would have thought twice about before. However, that is also a drawback because it make you a lazier rider in a sense. You don't have to pick your lines as carefully because you can roll most obstacles, which can get you in trouble if you're not paying attention. I would also say the stock tires aren't the best. They're fast, but they slip quite a bit in tight turns and off-camber sections (that's an easy fix though). It has enough travel that you feel fresh after long rides, but not so much that you're wasting a ton of energy on XC rides. I got my 2010 right as the 2011s were coming out, so I got a good deal (-$800). Gary Fischer was ahead of the curve on the 29er movement, so I feel like they have a design advantage over a lot of the other FS 29ers.

Favorite Trail:   Cedar Glades so far...

Purchased At:   Chainwheel