Fuji Outland 29 RC 29er Full Suspension

• New Shimano SLX components

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by jhc a Cross Country Rider from Portland, ME, USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2011

Strengths:    Price to Performance Ratio. The thing retailed for $4500 when it was made in 2009-2010. You can get one complete for 2K on eBay.

Weaknesses:    Just like any FS, it isn't light, but does climb well when you lock out the rear susp.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great bike. I've beaten the hell out of it these past 6 months after purchasing it almost brand new from a guy on eBay who never rode it. I slapped some new rims on it and it was good to go. Very responsive and fun to ride. Finished my first race with it recently as was very impressed with how it performed. Overall, you get really high end components and a great suspension system with this rig. If it was a touch lighter and had an RP2 or RP23, she'd be perfect for me.

Favorite Trail:   Bradbury

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher, UJ.

Bike Setup:   All SRAM XO, Elixr CR Brakes, Stylo 2x9 crank, Sun Ringle Black Flag Expert rims.

Submitted by tomboyjr a Cross Country Rider from Burlington CT

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    First 29er, but loving the way it hooks up for climbing.

Weaknesses:    Maybe weight, which isnt even that bad

Bottom Line:
    I bought this frame on ebay and built it up with stuff I had laying around. Wanted to try the 29er thing. Dont see it as better or worse than my Yeti 575, just a bit different. More XC maybe. Its a stiffer ride than I am used to but not much. But in the first few ride I've climbed short steep hills and rocks that Ive only done a few times on the Yeti.
    I'd like it more with lighter parts I'm sure. But it convinced me that 29ers have their place.

Bike Setup:   5" fork, good wheels but many parts are a bit heavy. Stock shock is a RS Monarch 3.3, 4" travel.

Submitted by jphope a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight cross country niner that can handle anything in the cross country relm. Great stability in the rocky terrain. Handles big rocks with ease like all niners yet there is little drawback in weight.

Weaknesses:    Not quite enough travel for an all around trail bike.

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike and would recommend it for cross country riders who want the advantages of 29ers. Minimal suspension means great energy transfer and the ability to power through anything. a great price for a bike that comes great out of the box. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Starr Pass

Bike Setup:   full X.O, elixir CR brakes, crossmax wheels (now stan's arch with ZTR hubs), reba team fork

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Wellsboro, PA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Strengths:    A dual suspension 29'er is an amazing combination. I'm delighted how often I'm in the big ring and cruising through sections that used to require a lot more effort. It rolls over all trail "noise", floats over/powers through mud, handles tight,rooty/rocky technical sections with ease. Climbs are easily handled seated (I appreciate the 34 tooth granny!), and for the few times you need to stand and power up, it's very responsive. Downhill sections of single track are ear to ear grins! The handlebar located lockout for the front forks is a nice touch. Brakes, shifting, suspension--everything works precisely and felt comfortable from the first time I rode it.

Weaknesses:    The adjustment on the shock (full, 1/2, locked out) is not easy to find in the heat of battle. However, I found that even for extended climbs the middle position is fine. For everything else I leave it in the softest setting. Properly set up it's compliant and smooth with minimal bob. The lockout isn't really needed.

Bottom Line:
    At a little over 27 lbs. this bike has everything you'd want for a trail bike: 4" of very tunable, compliant suspension front and rear, good handling in switchbacks (with the 23" bar) and the "roll over everything" 29 inch wheels. I highly recommend it to anyone who's still riding a hardtail or a 26" bike. This is a super bike for day-long rides or for a 1 hr. workout on my technical practice trail.

In terms of who shouldn't buy this bike, I guess if you're a big hit downhiller or super competitive cross country rider you wouldn't want it.

As this was Tom's personal bike, I had a chance to buy it used at a great discount off of $4700 MSRP. As a result I think it's an awesome value and everything about the bike works together for an outstanding ride. There's certainly no buyer remorse here!

Favorite Trail:   Laurel Classic Mtn. Bike Trail