Felt Edict Nine 1 29er Full Suspension

Designed to burn up XC courses and trails of all types—from short-track to marathons—the Edict Nine 1 highlights the legendary performance of Felt carbon fiber racing frames. Featuring an all-new FAST suspension adapted to the 29in wheel platform, the Edict Nine 1 delivers speed and confidence on all types of trails. A Fox 32 fork with 100mm of smooth, predictable travel and lightweight, dependable Shimano XT complement the Edict Nine 1’s abilities to climb, corner and descend faster than you ever thought possible.

Submitted by Ian

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2013

Strengths:    Great handling, effective geometry, smooth efficient peddling and climbing but rails on descents.

Weaknesses:    Spec wheels were heavy - frame could be a little stiffer through the front end - would like to see a through axle in rear

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the Edict Nine 2 as sold in Australia (as pictured above with XT build and Reba fork). I have been riding this bike for about 2 months. Overall I love it. It's my first 29er and compared to my old 26ers I am riding way faster through technical and down hill sections. I replaced the spec wheels (Mavic Cross Ride) with some Hope Hoops (Crest rims). This, combined with going tubeless immediately dropped almost 1kg off the wheel set (upgrade worth considering if you are looking at buying - or weighing it up against the Edict 1. Also installed a Tompson post and Fiziks saddle - otherwise riding as spec. Very happy with the new XT shifting - love the ability to dump 2 gears at once. The Reba has performed faultlessly although I have managed to bottom it our a couple of times at correct riding pressure. I'd be interested to ride an evolved version of this bike with a 120mm fork as the bike really does invite the rider to push hard through all sorts of terrain and hence - give the fork a solid workout. I have noticed a slight amount of flex through the front of the frame however I am being very picky here. I can't say it effects handling on trail, nor can I say its greater than any other frame in this category. Ideally I would like to see a through axle in the rear just to stiffen everything up (that applies to any 29er). Overall I can honestly say I love riding this bike. I've gone from not keeping up with my mates on my old 26er (they were mostly on Giant Anthems 29er) to keeping up and even opening gaps on them. If you are looking for a race worthy 29er for (XC or enduro) which is also a lot of fun to ride - I can highly recommend this bike.

My Edict Nine 1

Check out the details on my blog, I think it turned out pretty well. I've got a few rides in on it and am very impressed. [url=http://www.raceofattrition.blogspot.com/2013/04/and-done.html]RACE OF ATTRITION: And Done[/url]Read More »