Diamondback Sortie 2 29 29er Full Suspension

Weapons grade aluminum Sortie 29 4.5" trail frame w/ knuckle box suspension platform, taper head tube, 142X12 thru axle drop outs, Fox 32 Float 29 RL 120mm 15QR fork, Fox Float RP23 XV rear shock, Shimano FCM-552 2PC crankset, Deore FRT and XT rear derailleurs 10Spd, WTB speed disc 29 double wall rims, and Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes.

Submitted by aboutface102

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2013

Strengths:    1. Great groupset, at least for what I've been used to
2. Well built, hefty frame. Can take a beating comfortably
3. Low center of gravity gives amazing control through banks and turns, for a 29er
4. 120mm fox suspension

Weaknesses:    1. It is a bit heavier
2. Not the best for steep climbs (could just be me)
3. Brakes are a little weak

Bottom Line:
This bike was a great choice for me because I like to be able to climb long distances for the long downhills. This bike does both well, especially the downhill part. I rode my friend's $5,000 Niner just to try the 29" wheels. I will admit that uphill the Niner was astounding. Light with a great pedaling geometry. But downhill the Sortie blows it away. 1" more travel, Low center of gravity, hefty frame. Not to mention for me it was $3200 cheaper! Not the best groupset but I didn't even notice, it shifts great. Only bad thing is the brakes, I will probably upgrade those next to XT. If you want a fun 29er and are poor, this is an excellent choice!

Submitted by Greg Mayer

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2012

Strengths:    The Fox Suspension, SLX/ XT shifters and Derailers, Coupled with Shimano hydraulic disk braks and thru axle make this a fun bike to ride..

Weaknesses:    A little heavy but not overly noticable.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike for the past 8 weeks on a variety of different trails, cross country and roads. It is a blast to ride and very comfortable. I would definately recommend this bike to anyone looking for a mid range awesome bike that will make you smile every time you ride it.

Submitted by bballboy388 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2012

Strengths:    Price, thru axels front and rear, slx and xt shifters and rear derailleur, and Fox front and rear suspension.

Weaknesses:    Wheels are a heavy and the brakes are a little weak in my opinion

Bottom Line:
First off I had never ridden a 29er before this bike. My previous perspective is all coming from previous experience riding a few different 26" trail bikes and my background is primarily in Downhill.

I loved this bike! My first ride was a demo at my our local xc trails the day after doing a 30 mile mtn ride for my friends bachelor party on my soul matador. My legs should of been tired and I didn't really feel like riding but this bike just kept making the trails more fun then I had remembered. At first I figured the ride was just easier because the bike has a little steeper head angle and is lighter then my old bike so it was easier to climb. Then we started to descend and I was hitting the same lines I do on my old 26 that was set up with a 160 Rock Shox lyrick. The suspension design was really active and ate everything up but when we were climbing I hardly noticed it. On long steep climbs on extended road sections I sometimes use my pro pedal but not often. After that ride I knew I had to get one and I loved it so much I just convinced my wife to drink the 29" kool aid and we just purchased the 2013 model of this bike for her.

I think Diamondback is a company that is easy to overlook but over the past few years they seem to really be putting out a much higher quality product and investing back in the bicycling community and I am really glad I got the chance to demo this bike and now own it.

The stock build on this bike is on the heavier side and might turn off someone looking for a bike specifically to race but if you are looking for a bike that will be really fun and you can take anywhere I think this is worth taking a close look at.

Favorite Trail:   Gambrill State Park, MD and Patapsco State park MD