Diamondback Sortie 1 29 29er Full Suspension

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)
MSRP : $1999.99

Weapons grade aluminum Sortie 29 4.5" trail frame w/ knuckle box suspension platform, taper head tube, 135X10mm vertical drop outs, Fox 32 Float 29 RL 120mm 9mm QR fork, Fox Float RP23 XV rear shock, Shimano FCM-522 3PC Octalink crankset, Deore FRT and Deore rear derailleurs 10Spd, WTB speed disc 29 double wall rims, and Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes.

Submitted by David

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2013

Strengths:    This thing is a TANK. With the weapons grade aluminum frame, Fox Full Suspension 29er you can roll through anything.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding this bike for about 10 months now and it is still as much fun today as the day I bought it. I have been down the some technical trails as well as fast fire roads and this bike eats it up. If your in the market, its a good buy, you wont be dissipated.

Submitted by PhxChem a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2012

Strengths:    Solid bike. Able to set-up stock suspension for a 270# rider. Stock wheels seem to be strong enough for heavy riders also. Rear wheel stays stuck to the ground during rocky ascents, giving great traction. No noticeable chain feedback from the suspension. Stock 180mm front rotors (the minimum for heavier riders).

Weaknesses:    Trying to find a bottom bracket for the 2012 model after breaking one. My left foot foot ever-so-sightly rubs against the rear "seat stay" (it' probably by bodies fault for that. A little tape made sure I wasn't rubbing off the paint.). Trying to adjust the front derailer stop crews while it was on the bike (interference with the "seat stay"). You'll need the stubbiest of stubby screw drivers to get in there. I have hit my chain ring (converted to bashgaurd) quite a bit on bouldery sections. Seems to happen (obviously) more often when I'm moving lower in my rear travel.

Bottom Line:
Since the is my first full suspension bike, my review might be biased toward the "Wow, gee, I can rip through the chunk!!" factor.

The amount of bike for the price made this a great deal (bought the 2012 around the time the 2013's were coming out.

Coming straight from a hard tail, this bike feels like I'm cheating on rocky Arizona trails. It took some time to dial in the suspension settings since I'm not used to ANY pedal bob, but the Pro Pedal switch on the RP3 takes most of that out. Initially, I also felt that maybe there was a little flex in the rear. But since getting used to the bike (and checking the suspension bolts on a regular basis) I have not noticed the flex.

Within a week riding, I started to forget it was even a 29er. I ride in all the same rocky technical places as before and I don't feel like I've had to adjust my riding style to fit with the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Black Canyon Trail

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Submitted by Graybiker

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2012

Strengths:    Good standover for a 29er.
Fox fork and shock
Sturdy frame with lots of nice design features

Weaknesses:    Heavy frame - almost 7.5 pounds for a medium
Low bottom bracket - prepare to smack lots of rocks with your cranks
Heavy wheelset

Bottom Line:
I live in Western Colorado and rocky, technical trails are standard fare. With the stock Fox Float 120 fork, the bottom bracket is only about 12 and 5/8 inches high. This really hurts your confidence in tight rocky sections as you anticipate banging your cranks on numerous rocks. I even swapped out the fork for a White Bros Loop 140 for raise the BB a bit. The tapered head tube and zero stack height headset keep the front end low enough that a 140 mm travel fork does not hurt the bikes climbing ability at all.

DB made some nice design moves with the frame: all the pivots can be tightened from the non-drive side, the cable routing is great with bolt on guides for all housing on the down tube and the geometry is spot on except for the bb height.

I find the rear suspension works well and don't have issues with bobbing, but I do switch on propedal for climbs and flats. I generally like the bike, but the low bottom bracket is almost a deal breaker if you ride tight trails with obstacles. I've swapped out almost all the stock parts for SLX/XT level parts and a Stans Flow tubeless wheelset. Bike weight now is 30 lbs 4 oz.

Submitted by marc a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    Climbs well
Descends prowlessly
Take abuse well

Weaknesses:    Heavy
Slow moving wheels

Bottom Line:
Besides the weight and wheels the bike is a great ride. Live Park City, Ut. Bike handle everything from tight wind trails, lift served trails and long endurance rides(40+miles). The Sorti has not let me down. Getting it set up took a bit time, but once I got the sag set correctly. It rode great. I'm 6' 215lbs expert rider who been riding a hardtail 29er for the past 4 years, it did take some getting use to the rear suspension bob by adjusting my pedal stroke. Since I bought the bike 2months ago I've changed out the wheels and crank and drop a amazing amount of weight and it rolls much quicker now.
Overall the bike. is good-great out of the box. Change wheels and it goes right to great. The bike takes a beating and keeps on going.

Favorite Trail:   PRINCESS DI

Purchased At:   ONLINE

Similar Products Used:   Niner RIP
GT 29ER Hardtail

Bike Setup:   FOX FLOAT29
FOX FLOAT RP2
DEORE DRIVETRAIN
WTB WHEELSET(ORIGINAL). SUN RINGLE CHARGER(NEW)

Submitted by flyingsqrl a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Rolls fast in the big ring
Rails medium and fast corners
Good at negotiating tight corners
Rolls over root and rock gardens
No front wheel flop on steep climbs
Fork stroke is great once past the compression damping
Rear suspension is plush
No Brake jack
Bottom bracket is a little low at 13" if you ride where pedal strikes are an issue
Good fit for longer torso, shorter torso may want shorter stem
WTB Vigo Saddle is good
Shifting is very good
Tires are very good in loam
Many of the negatives are easily addressed, tires and grips can be changed, wheels upgraded as budget allows

Weaknesses:    Fork has a little too much compression damping
Single rock and root hits are no different compared to a 26er
Heavy wheels and tires 10 plus lbs complete including cassette. WTB Speed and Wolverine.
Feels slow to get up to speed due to wheels and tires
Tires slide off embedded rocks
Grips are like holding onto a metal file
M445 Brake levers lack reach adjust, despite DB website claim
More pedal induced bobbing than others, up to 0.38 inch of shock stroke
Pro pedal reduces bobbing by about 33%, but harshens the ride noticeably
Loses the line at high speed on trails with consecutive hits, needs a thru axle fork

Bottom Line:
Diamondback Sortie 1 29er
Rider is 6 ft 1 inch, 182 lbs, 32.5 inch inseam, 32 years of mountain biking.
This Sortie was a demo, ridden 50 miles or 80 km. Loaner from Outspokin Cycle in London, Ontario.
A friend rode the Sortie once, and mentioned most of the same pros and cons.
Review is accurate as of posting date, specs may change
Recommendations:
Get the Sortie 2 for the thru axles
Bend the dog end of the front derailleur cable forward so it does not get caught between the tire and cross brace.
Get folding tires fit for your trails
Convert to tubeless

Favorite Trail:   WCC Trail in Waterloo

Similar Products Used:   Ellswoth Epiphany, not a 29er, and 5 pounds lighter.

Bike Setup:   Size large, 33 pounds total weight, 72 psi fork, 145 shock, 3 clicks of rebound