Devinci Atlas Carbon 29er Full Suspension

• Bottom Bracket: SRAM PressFit BB92
  • Cassette: Shimano 10s 11-36T

Submitted by Ken6503 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2015

Strengths:    Among many strengths are cost, stiffness, light weight, and handling for a bike that treads the fine line between a Cross Country and Trail bike. Backed with a lifetime warranty from Devinci. LIFETIME.

Weaknesses:    Few. Cable routing is my only minor complaint. Other Devinci bikes have internal routing, but the Atlas is all external. This might be by design, but I'm surprised it hasn't found its way to this model after a couple iterations.

Bottom Line:
I'm a 43-year old CAT 3-equivalent MTB rider/former racer happily bouncing around trails with my former racer friends i.e. I'm interested in fast, comfortable fun. I would recommend this bike to Cross Country or Trail riders looking to get into a full suspension 29er that can do it all. It's not set up to be the best XC racer, or for that matter crush the All-Mountain scene, but if you're looking for one bike that can to a little of everything very well, consider this.

A thrifty buyer can get this get this frame well cheaper than a Tallboy or RDO, and aside from the aluminum chainstays (which I'm debating are on this bike for a reason, or Devinci is still working on fabricating a lifetime warranty-worthy carbon equivalent) I would be hard pressed to justify spending several hundred dollars more for another manufacturer's premier carbon product.

Granted, the others are full carbon and a half pound lighter, but the Devinci's longer travel (10 more mm matters), short chainstays (16.9 in), and 29 in wheels combine to form a Jack-of-all-trades on the trail with amazing handling. My bike weighs in at 25.4 pounds with pedals, but mine has all mountain wheels (1750 gr) and heavier, tubeless ready tires. I've seen some builds with a medium frame, carbon hoops and lighter parts come in at 24.1. I built mine to be light enough for my frame (193 lbs) but ready for anything, anytime, anywhere.

So it's relatively more affordable, turns on rails, and is the MTB equivalent of a swiss army knife, but what does it do poorly? Like anything, there's give and take. My opinion is that the short chainstays cause the bike to sometimes lose traction on steep, loose climbs. I've compensated for this by changing my technique; I now lean more forward and get out of the saddle to force the back tire into the dirt. I don't have to do that on my brother's Tallboy. But that Tallboy can't hop, manual, or get into turns near as well as the Atlas. Cockpit geometry tends to lean a little more towards Devinci's Trail heritage, and maybe that's because it's designed and made in Canada. Core XC riders will want a little more stem.

Devinci is quick to answer emails and give excellent recommendations on parts and setup. Chalk one up for excellent customer service. Emails to Santa Cruz and Niner were answered with 'talk to our dealer in your area.' No offense, but the SC dealer in my area is an idiot who primarily reps road bikes. In 3 months I've fallen with what other reviewers have termed as its 'flickability.' That and the price point of the Atlas Carbon made buying this frame an easy choice. If all were priced evenly? Much tougher. Again, give and take.

Favorite Trail:   Dana Peak, TX

Duration Product Used:   3 mos.

Purchased At:   Velorangutan, Austin

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 Carbon w/ XX group, Specialized Epic Carbon w/ X.0 group

Bike Setup:   2015 Devinci Atlas Carbon with RockShox Monarch shock, RockShox 120mm SID RCT3 fork, SUNRingle Charger Pro SL wheelset, SRAM XX1/X01 drivetrain, Shimano M985 XTR Race disk brakes, Hope BB, Thomson Elite Stem and Seatpost, Maxxis Ardent EXO Race 2.25 tires, KMC K11SL Gold chain

Submitted by DAVID J a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2014

Strengths:    For the tight rocky technical New England trails I ride this is the best handling bike I've owned in the past 20 years. My previous favorite was a Turner Burner,the Devinci does it one better. I built up a frame and Revelation 130mm and parts from my Stumpy 29 fsr. With the frames designed and built in Quebec and Weagle's split pivot this takes to my local trails like no other.

Weaknesses:    Some of the cable routing could be better but not a big deal. I'll follow up if anything goes sh!tty.

Bottom Line:
Tight wheelbase and enough suspension travel but not too much for me is a winner. Climbs great,accelerates great,corners great,rock crawls great,etc,etc... I like it a lot :) . This is New England not L.A.

Similar Products Used:   EWR 29,GT peace 29,Stumpy 2011 and 2012 fsr comp 29,Turner burner 26,Epic 26,Rize 140, too many others to list.

Bike Setup:   Large,Arches to Kings,Purgatory 2.3 front and rear , 2x10 Sram w/grip shift.Enve DH bar,lousy Elixer brakes soon to be replaced.