Canyon Spectral AL 29er Full Suspension

Even at first glance, the Spectral AL 29 is a machine to behold with its pure all-round capabilities. A superb chassis, 130mm of travel and 29“ wheels allow it to generate unbelievable traction for awesome trail kicks and transfer power efficiently up long climbs. This entirely newly developed frame combines simplicity with innovative technology and revised geometry.

Submitted by Andrew

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2015

Strengths:    Value for money,specs,look

Weaknesses:    Bashguard does not comes oem,tall front end makes it lighter.

Bottom Line:
As a die hard Spedialized aficionado I've had to take a leap of faith to swap to another brand. Glad I did ! I can honestly say so far this is the best mtb I've ever owned,and trust me I've owned some fancy stuff. Put aside the bang for the buck Canyon thing, I'm talking how the bike rides,and this bike rides perfectly. Ok,I've missed Specialized's Autosag feature at first so it took me 3 rides to set the sag properly,other than this everything else was spot on. The bike rips downhill ! She's on the smaller side ( size L hub to hub you're looking at 9 centimeters less over a large Stumpy fsr) so instead of beaving like a typical longish 29er ( grab it by the horn and throw it in the turns) the bike needs to be piloted like your typical 26e,but like your typical 29er it rewards you greatly. Front end is tall !! Be prepared to keep it down on the climbs !
One thing surprised me : the missing bash guard. This is a supposedly hardcore trail machine, a bash is a must imho. A friend of mine has a 2014 Spectral 29 and he already busted 2 teeth. Not good.
Bottom line it's a great bike, I still have a road bike from Spesh but nothing wrong in swapping to a Canyon roadie in the future.