Cannondale Scalpel 29er Alloy 4 29er Full Suspension

• Hubs: Formula 20mm front, 142x12mm rear
  • Brake: Avid Elixir 3, 180/160mm

Submitted by Michael

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2014

Strengths:    The overall ride is perfect for my body type. This is a FAST bike and does surprisingly well with cornering. The tires are not THAT bad. For me, I i found replacing the front tire with a stickier tire was the trick. Kenda put their XC tires on the bike...which are still fast. Most people just run them at the wrong pressure. Ive been running mine between 20-25psi (in accordance with my weight).

Either way....Its a fun and durable bike!

Weaknesses:    The brakes are the worst thing about this bike! I know cannondale has a good relationship with SRAM... but my god.....theyre terrible! Shimano XT are long due for this guy! its nice however, that this is a quick fix.

Bottom Line:
Just get out and ride!

Submitted by zenkem a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2013

Strengths:    Strong performer and super responsive with 20mm thru axle fork and 12x142 rear hub setup....this bike does not flex. Acceleration is pretty good for 29er and it climbs really well then floats on the downs.

Weaknesses:    Brakes were weak, swapped 'em out the next day after purchase. The rest of my upgrades were personal preference not really necessary. Also, the BB is not a true BB30 but can be coverted if you wanna spend the money. Rapid Rob tires are fast tires but not good for railing it.

Bottom Line:
Experienced brake fade on my first ride...made a deal with the LBS and put XT's on, problem solved. Heard bad things 'bout going Tubeless with the Inferno rims so I swapped 'em for a set of Flows with Hope Pro hubs. Then I wanted 2x10 after I found out the 3x FSA Comet Crank weighed in at over 1100 grams, now I'm thinking 26/38 is a little too much gear for my area...24/38 coming soon. Installed a carbon bar for comfort and now the bike is almost 2 pounds lighter. This bike has been a pure joy to ride from the day I got it. A little on the heavy side (coming from a Hardtail) which tends to wear on me during the longer rides but I think it's more of a conditioning thing.

Favorite Trail:   Any I'm riding

Similar Products Used:   Huffy Rigid, Avalanche 3.0, Jamis Parker I, Cannondale F4, Access 29er, Niner EMD

Bike Setup:   Stans Flow wheels with Hope hubs w/Tioga Psycho Genius 2.25, 2013 SLX 2x10 crank w/XT 11-36 cassette-XT shifter and RD-M786D rear derailleur, Ritchey Cabon bar the rest is stock.

Submitted by glebas a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Strengths:    An all around great handling bike, jock of all trades and master of some! Feels like you are floating over the rocks and roots of the northeast trails! Looks and rides great.

Weaknesses:    Next to the tires, which are great when you are pounding the pavement to get to the trail, the only weakness would be me! I landed a jump, locked the wheels in mud and the bike slid out from under me as I slid into a tree branch. Seven stitches, doh! Not the bikes fault!

Bottom Line:
I compared it to a few Giants and this one just felt better. For some reason I like Cannondale better than Giant. Can't explain why.

Favorite Trail:   Gregs pond, Hilltop, Mills reservation

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Purchased At:   Diamond Cycle

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Ivan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2012

Strengths:    1. Cornering
2. Weight
3. Gear mix
4. Geometry
5. looks !

Weaknesses:    Tires... BUT do yourself a favor and exchange them at the dealer for some Schwalbes and your set. - My set up is Hans Dampf on the front and Racing Ralph on the back.

Bottom Line:
The bikes rides amazingly smooth and very quick. The rockshox are great and best of all, after all my research (over 3 months comparing, Scott, Specialized and Trek) came up winning solely in the fact that are dependable, less maintenance and no complaints online as to breaking parts, rear shock behaves very well and has nothing to shy on in front of any Fox.

Like I mentioned above, the tires were replace to my riding preference and to respond better to Florida's sometimes WET and MUDDY trails, the Schwalbe Hans Dampf sticks to mud like glue !

Over all, Cannondale has done a great job putting a bike together, finally, the only reason I didn't give 5 stars on value rating was based on tires but that has been taken care of…

Purchased At:   Bike America