Cannondale Scalpel 29 29er Full Suspension

• Shifters: SRAM X7
  • Brake: Avid Elixir 5, 180/160mm

Submitted by Shaun a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2014

Strengths:    The Lefty fork is so, so smooth. The rebound dampening and the pop-top lock out work great.

Weaknesses:    I'm not crazy about the brakes, but they are functional and I can't complain to much about them.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2013 Cannondale Scalpel 3 29er. I would describe myself as a longtime technical xc rider who loves the challenging, technical climbs. I rented this bike in fall when I was on a mountain biking trip in Moab. I have been interested in this bike and renting it gave me a chance to test ride it for a week. This was my first experience with a 29er and I haven't been on a full suspension rig in quite a long time. The first thing I noticed was how freaking fast it was. It just rolled and rolled and I felt like I couldn't ride it fast enough, and I'm pretty fast. It climbed like a dream and took everything I could throw at it. It handled Captain Ahab like a champ, along with all the other classic trails there and in Fruita. I was so impressed with this bike that I bought one when I got home. I ride in the north-east and the trails and terrain are very different than Moab (wet roots compared to dry slickrock). I had no problem adjusting to the full suspension 29er from my 26" hardtail that I have been riding for about 12 years on all my local trails. The Scalpel has a short wheel base which makes it turn on a dime and handle tight singletrack like a dream. I had a Titus Motolite a few years back and I just couldn't get into the bike. I wanted to like it, but just didn't and I gave up on full suspension until I rode this. In short, if you are considering buying this bike it is highly unlikely that you will be disappointed in any way. This bike is everything it is advertised to be and more. I would recommend the Scalpel for a xc rider who wants a bike that can climb fast and float over the technical features...and can handle a 3 foot drop every once in a while :)

Favorite Trail:   It's a secret

Purchased At:   Grey Ghost, Glens Fa

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC (custom build), Titus Motolite

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Ron Shuler

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2013

Strengths:    Handling, it only took me 5 min to be comfortable on this bike, this bike is very stable but still turns great. Suspension is amazing this is my 4th full suspended bike and it works like a dream. Brakes are very good tires are good everything on this bike is good

Weaknesses:    I couldn't think of one negative thing to say about this bike

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike because my last bike was scary to ride, every time out I would have a few crashes and many near crashes. The Cannondale Scalpel is what I call as Advertised meaning it dose what they say its supposed to, this bike was a little more then I wanted to spend but after riding it I was glad I had spent the money to get it.

I would recommend this bike and the 29er is defiantly the way to go for me

Submitted by Kenny Siegler a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2012

Strengths:    Great looking bike, very comfortable in turns with stock tires (running tubeless) suspension is amazing feeling, great shifting and stopping power.

Weaknesses:    Should have been 3x10 instead of 2 x 10.

Bottom Line:
The bike is an amazing machine, I cut a lot of time of a couple of different trails that I ride simply because of this bike. I would recommend it to anyone that is looking for their next bike. The stock gearing is a 2x10 and would be a plus if it was a 3x10 but it does just fine.

Favorite Trail:   North shore in Grapevine Texas

Duration Product Used:   2weeks

Purchased At:   Fort Worth Cycle

Submitted by Andy Wang

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2012

Strengths:    Nice Looking, Great Handling, Comfortable Riding & Downhill.

Weaknesses:    No major complain. Just felt 29" is hard a bit while climbing up to the hill using the original groupset (2x10)

Bottom Line:
Because of 29' I change the original groupset from Sram X9 (2 x 10) to Sram XO (3 x 10).

Submitted by Speerboy

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2012

Strengths:    This bike is like no other bike I have ridden - it is just a blast carving up the single track through the trees. I know what it means to truly go "play bikes". Its as smooth and agile as can be and climbs and descends with ease. I have no regrets investing in this rocket. It looks amazing and is a head turner. All I can say is go buy one.

Weaknesses:    None so far! I have been having too much fun! Oh - maybe two things. Its hard to fit on my Thule quad bike rack. And theres not much room for a large water bottle. I just have to get used to my camel pak.

Bottom Line:
I ride a Trek Madone road bike but just recently got into off road. I live in the Mississipi Valley of Eastern Iowa where we ride valleys not mountains. We are fortunate to have some really nice trails for all types of riders. This bike can go almost anywhere. My last mountain bike was a 1989 Gary Fisher hoo-koo-e-koo that I used to ride out in Vail. I was close to getting a Fisher but didn't really care for the color scheme. I test rode Trek, Salsa and Scott but ended up buying this bike blind. The reason was the Scalpel fit my eye perfectly. I am so glad I did too. I like it better than all the others I rode. For the single track i ride, it makes the experience better. It corners with confidence and shifts without delay. I am impressed.

Submitted by Marty a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    Very good steering, super responsive and agile comparing with other 29'ers I tried. Lightweight, Lefty works very smoothly comfortable lockout, back wheel keeps perfect contact with gtound also. XL very comfortable for my 194 cm heighth. Climbs well, accelerates amazingly good. Fizik sadle for the medium level riders - sporty but not too hard.

Weaknesses:    biggest chainring (I think it's 39) too small - for higher speed bigger would be much better, but that's adjustable.
Deraileurs and other components could be higher level

Bottom Line:
BIke topped all of my expectations - handles better than my older 26'er FS bike. Good value for money - lightweight, but at the same time still reasonably priced.

Favorite Trail:   Lithuanian MTB trails

Purchased At:   Umarai

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance 3 26'er, Norco Shinobi 29'er, Trek Fuel

Submitted by Pine Cone a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    The best handling mountain bike I have ever owned. Lefty fork is amazing, great contact with the road at all times. Great climbing bike with the fork and frame shocks locked. Great fast descending bike with the shocks unlocked. Fast and precise steering. Very light for the price for full suspension. Very quiet on the trail, no annoying creeks and squeaks. Shifting is precise and brakes work better than any I have used in 55 years of cycling.

This is my first 29er and I am sold on big wheels.

Weaknesses:    Nothing significant. I hate that you have to take the front brake off the fork to get the wheel off, but that's a minor annoyance. Wouldn't mind a better gruppo, but everything seems to work well.

Bottom Line:
A great bike for going fast and making you want to go even faster. I need to ride a mix of pavement, forest roads, and singletrack and this bike does that combination better than any I've tried.

Bottom line... this bike puts a smile on your face when you ride it!

Purchased At:   Silverdale Cyclery