Breezer Supercell 29er Full Suspension

Supercell redefines big wheel handling and full-suspension efficiency. Supercell features 29" wheels and 120mm of MLink suspension travel.

Submitted by Doug_J

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2015

Strengths:    Value - Got this via Pricepoint at 46% off for the 2014 (1st year version)
Design - Joe Breeze input! Great geometry.

Weaknesses:    I bought the Expert, the base model. We'll see how the X-Fusion suspension does. So far so good, but it's only been one ride.
Weight- If you're a weight weenie this may be a couple of pound heavier than you like. I haven't bothered to actually weigh mine yet, it rides light so I'm loving it.

Bottom Line:
A little background first:
I didn't know anything about the Supercell or Breezer bikes in general before I saw the 2014 Supercell on sale at Price Point. I read as much as I could and learned a great deal about Joe Breeze and the long history of Breezer bikes. In 1977 Joe's "Breezer 1" was the first frame built specifically for what became mountain biking, it's resides in the Smithsonian. http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1419571
So the pedigree is there, the geometry and handling from years of experience is there, and Breezer bikes collaboration with the Sotto group for the suspension design brings that final element to the table.

This review is for the Supercell Expert. Purchased during a sale, the bike shipped very promptly and arrived with the Breezer box packed inside another box with the additional small items I ordered, very well protected. After assembly I did a torque check of all fasteners, adjusted the brakes, derailleurs and installed my pedals. (BTW, it doesn't come with pedals, so if you don't have a favored set already you'll need to buy some) I set the sag 25% or a bit less and she was ready to ride.

This is my first 29er, and even though the reviews mention the handling I was concerned it would feel sluggish coming off my lefty equipped Cannondale Rush. Not at all. The Supercell felt great right away, and after a couple of ergonomic adjustments I was ready to go. Took the bike out to the San Joaquin River trail near Fresno, CA. The point I entered the trail starts off with a steep, rutted single-track downhill and the bike performed superbly. The brakes were broken in and working great by the time I got to the bottom. The only thing that held me back on the rest of the ride my my own weakness, since i haven't been riding my legs and lungs were not cooperating.
I realized quickly that I should have set the bike up with a bit more sag, since it was a bit stiff and chattery over the light hack on the trail. However, it climbs great, is very flickable in the switchbacks, stable and precise downhill, rolls over and through the rocks FAR better than the Rush. X-Fusion suspension worked well, and the interesting mLink rear was very compliant but didn't waste any of my meager energy in the climbs. Yay!
It's very new, and only time and miles will confirm my initial ride impressions, but it rides great, it's a good looking bike and the build quality appears to be excellent, I'm very pleased with the purchase. I gave it 5 flamin' chilis for value. I only gave it four overall since my experience is limited and I don't want to overdo it. Really more of a knock on me than the bike.

Breezer Supercell -Any thoughts?

Anyone familiar with this new line of bikes by Breezer? I've been looking at them for a while now, and haven't seen a lot of reviews on this new line by Joe Breeze. They have an M-link suspension and 120mm travel front and rear. They look interesting, but not that much info. out there. Here's the li ... Read More »