Breezer Supercell 29er Full Suspension

Supercell redefines big wheel handling and full-suspension efficiency. Supercell features 29" wheels and 120mm of MLink suspension travel.

Submitted by Patrick

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2015

Strengths:    Ride quality, Components, Cornering, Descending, Climbing

Weaknesses:    Heavy-ish

Bottom Line:
Im a biker of moderate skill and technical knowledge. So far Ive logged about 35 miles in 4 rides and I love this bike. I paid $1400 for it and I think its one hell of a bargain in a full suspension bike at that pricepoint. At $2600, I would have considered other options

The bike took about 15 min to unpack and 15 min to assemble and hour for me to adjust the shifting and suspension. I kept thinking how heavy it was during the build. Pricepoint and Breezer did a nice job setting up the bike up and packing it

On the trail I forgot the bike was heavier than my hardtail (Gravity 29.3)

The Gravity weighed 31#. The Supercell is 33.2#. I can feel the extra weight cranking up hill but it just doesnt matter because the traction from the rear tire just drives you right up whatever you have to get over. First ride at Pontiac Lake I PR'd Little Puke which is a fairly tough hill by Michigan standards. The Supercell rolls, climbs, and corners better than my previous ride and I end up using less total energy during a ride. It also descends with a sweet confidence that Im not accustomed to and seems to have no limits to its top end speed. It wants to go as fast as I want it to. The suspension really smooths out the trail and the bike goes down whatever line you choose.

My only beef is the weight. Why is this bike 33#? Didnt they optimize the frame using FEA? The frame seems overbuilt but perhaps they are targeting larger riders? On the plus side it is well built and high quality and will take years and years of abuse.

If they could knock down the weight to 27-28# this would be a world class bike. My buddy has a carbon Anthem that is probably the best handling bike Ive ever rode. ( I do have somewhat limited experience) This bike would be in that class if it shed some weight!

So Im putting on a CF handlebar, seatpost and lighter seat. Im also going tubeless. This should knock it down to 31# so we will see if this makes any difference

I gave the Supercell 4 chilis for value. Its really a 5 at $1400 but not at $2600
4 Chilis for the overall rating just because nothings perfect.

Overall its a great bike and I cant wait to ride it again!

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Submitted by Doug_J

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2015

Strengths:    Value - Got this via Pricepoint at 46% off for the 2014 (1st year version)
Design - Joe Breeze input! Great geometry.

Weaknesses:    I bought the Expert, the base model. We'll see how the X-Fusion suspension does. So far so good, but it's only been one ride.
Weight- If you're a weight weenie this may be a couple of pound heavier than you like. I haven't bothered to actually weigh mine yet, it rides light so I'm loving it.

Bottom Line:
A little background first:
I didn't know anything about the Supercell or Breezer bikes in general before I saw the 2014 Supercell on sale at Price Point. I read as much as I could and learned a great deal about Joe Breeze and the long history of Breezer bikes. In 1977 Joe's "Breezer 1" was the first frame built specifically for what became mountain biking, it's resides in the Smithsonian.
So the pedigree is there, the geometry and handling from years of experience is there, and Breezer bikes collaboration with the Sotto group for the suspension design brings that final element to the table.

This review is for the Supercell Expert. Purchased during a sale, the bike shipped very promptly and arrived with the Breezer box packed inside another box with the additional small items I ordered, very well protected. After assembly I did a torque check of all fasteners, adjusted the brakes, derailleurs and installed my pedals. (BTW, it doesn't come with pedals, so if you don't have a favored set already you'll need to buy some) I set the sag 25% or a bit less and she was ready to ride.

This is my first 29er, and even though the reviews mention the handling I was concerned it would feel sluggish coming off my lefty equipped Cannondale Rush. Not at all. The Supercell felt great right away, and after a couple of ergonomic adjustments I was ready to go. Took the bike out to the San Joaquin River trail near Fresno, CA. The point I entered the trail starts off with a steep, rutted single-track downhill and the bike performed superbly. The brakes were broken in and working great by the time I got to the bottom. The only thing that held me back on the rest of the ride my my own weakness, since i haven't been riding my legs and lungs were not cooperating.
I realized quickly that I should have set the bike up with a bit more sag, since it was a bit stiff and chattery over the light hack on the trail. However, it climbs great, is very flickable in the switchbacks, stable and precise downhill, rolls over and through the rocks FAR better than the Rush. X-Fusion suspension worked well, and the interesting mLink rear was very compliant but didn't waste any of my meager energy in the climbs. Yay!
It's very new, and only time and miles will confirm my initial ride impressions, but it rides great, it's a good looking bike and the build quality appears to be excellent, I'm very pleased with the purchase. I gave it 5 flamin' chilis for value. I only gave it four overall since my experience is limited and I don't want to overdo it. Really more of a knock on me than the bike.

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!