BMC speedfox SF29 29er Full Suspension

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)
MSRP : $1942.00

The long awaited 29er from BMC is finally here! The full suspension Speedfox SF29 is sure to become your favorite mountain bike, combining proven attributes of 29" wheels with a new design that will keep you coming back for more. The Speedfox SF29 is due to be a revalation to the 29er market, utlizing the shortest chain stays of any 29" wheeled bike on the market, it will both accelerate and handle faster than any other of its kind. BMC have also choosen a tapered head tube to allow for the stiffest possible front end, and very short head tubes, assuring the best riding position. The new bike will utilize 100mm of travel front and back to provide the best tool for all of your singletrack needs. Specification: -Frame: BMC SF29 iSC 100mm -Fork: Rock Shox Recon Gold 29 100mm -Rear Shock: Fox Evolution RL -Crank: Shimano SLX 42-32-24 -Cassette: Shimano HG81, 11-36 -Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX -Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT -Shifters: Shimano SLX -Brakes: Avid Elixir 3 -Handlebar: Scor MKII Low Rise -Stem: Scor MKII -Seatpost: Scor MKII -Saddle: Scor -Wheelset: Shimano SLX Hubs, Alex XD-Comp Rims, DT Swiss Spokes -Tires: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25

Submitted by Chris

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2013

Strengths:    climbs well out of the box

Weaknesses:    the stem was too short and the bars weigh a ton!

Bottom Line:
I bought the slx version and it needed a lot of upgrading to get the thing to react well. After the upgrades (seatpost, stem and bars), it seemed to radically change the way it handled. No, with the changes, it is happy to motor over virtually anything and I love the way it tackles almost any down hill.

Submitted by psuthe

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2013

Strengths:    Nimble, agile, great climber.

Weaknesses:    Tad bit of flex on decants (but I'm a clydesdale and get flex from many frames.)

Bottom Line:
I am very pleased with this bike. I got the XO build for $2800 - even though I didn't know much about the frame, I decided to take a chance. The bike climbs excellent, however, with a 22" in the front and a 36" in the rear, most bikes would probably climb well. (I don't climb with the rear 36" that often, but it's nice to have when I need it.) I swapped out the flat Skor bar and stem to give myself a better fit in the cockpit, but that's a personal preference. My only two complaints with this bike: 1) the Elixir 7 brakes. These brakes are complete garbage! I swapped them out for Shimano XT 785s and couldn't be happier. 2) The Schwalbe Rocket Rons - particularly in the front - they do not give me a good sense of confidence in downhill turns, however, this is an easy fix.

Overall, I got this bike as a second bike and have to say I am having a lot of fun riding it. Although, it is still not my primary bike, it holds its own nicely and could very easily be the primary.

Submitted by Anthony a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2013

Strengths:    Rolls over everything like a tank in a predictable kind of way and makes the big bumps not as bad. It's a stiff frame, strong. the engineering is well thought out. a stable rig. The paint job is nice and glossy.

Weaknesses:    It drives like a tank with slow response and stands tall. A medium feels the size of a large. the SLX version in the 2012 has heavy components but no worries, most people will start upgrading and before long the pounds come off. Start with the wheels and cassette for the biggest reductions. the seat is uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
Great starter bike. if you are 5'7.5" get a small. 5'9" to 6' get a medium. I have enjoyed this bike and have seen a lot of trail time. climbs great til you lean too forward at slow speed then you break traction. Descents are cake, you fly down what appears to be scary with ease. Highly recommend rigging up propedal shock and fork lockout levers, made life so much easier. go tubeless asap, the schwalbe tires will do nicely for that just buy the stan's kit.

sf29 speedfox sizing

I was looking at the specs for the SF29 Speedfox and I see two different specs relative to the same frame. BMC's site has it a tad larger than other sires selling the bike. I ride a trek large 19.5 now and it fits great. I am 6-0 tall, and inseam of 32.5-33". The ETT of the Trek is at 24.5 where as ... Read More »

BMC Speedfox SF29

Haven't seen very much discussion about this bike at all. Anybody ridden/riding one? Did see a couple of posts on twentynineinches about them, just wondering about other experiences.Read More »