BH LYNX 4.8 29er 29er Full Suspension

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The link between the suspension's kinematics and the frame's geometry have allowed BH to use smoother angles in the head tube and place the bottom bracket at a lower height than other brands. Lynx frames are one-piece carbon frames, which provide homogeneity throughout the entire frame and eliminate critical areas because there are no joints or welds between tubes.

Submitted by mountainbyte a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2017

Strengths:    Super light. Well specd. Great Customer Service. Very fast. XTR der. Climbs unreal. Balanced. Nice low toptube saves nuts. Feels more than 4.85 inches travel.

Weaknesses:    Strange position for rear shock. But the beauty is that it is not attached to the front triangle in any way. Genius. So many levers on my bars...dropper, rear shock remote... Might have to go 1x11 soon... The house-brand parts are sub-par, but they are the parts I'd replace anyway. They are offset by XT brakes, shift and front der. and XTR rear der.

Bottom Line:
This bike flies. I snapped it though.... New frame was warranteed. This is my long term review as I added one when I first bought it. Since then, I was running a short Reverb and managed to snap the seat tube as it was not inserted to the depth the bike expected, (even though it was below the min insert recommendation of the reverb). So I was worried about warrantying the frame because pricepoint.com is out of business. BH fed-exed my a new frame in a week, complete with new rear shock and remote. Great service. Now I put in a kind shock with a 425mm seatpost base. It will not snap again.

Favorite Trail:   Rockland

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com -miss

Similar Products Used:   Many ranging from Jamis XLT to Heckler to Tallboy to Nomad to what have you.

Bike Setup:   Stock parts, XTR der, Fox Kashima rear 125mm, New Parts: Xfusion Trace front fork 110-130 (130 makes this bike plush). 24 ardent in front, 2.2 in back. Kindshock Lev DX so the cable doesn't move up and down, (later years can take a stealth not this). Upgrading stem and seat this month.

Submitted by madpixl a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2016

Strengths:    Oddly great climber for geometry, Killer component spec, Short chainstays, faster than it feels, great design.

Weaknesses:    Support is sketchy, never got a reply from BH on several requests for info. BB is low, which is good for speed, but get a lot of pedal strikes in rocky ungroomed New England trails and goat paths.

Bottom Line:
Bought this to replace my Blur LTc. It is nearly as light, had one glitch on the factory assembly, but now is dialed in. The bars are heavy and narrow. Get rid of those right off. The seat is okay. The rear chainstays had an immense amount of play. Downloaded the Catalog and found an exploded view in the back. I discovered that the dropouts were side specific and reversed, but the Torx 60 screws that go into them were right.

So I reversed the dropouts to match the screw length and all the play disappeared. The very night I did this, I KOMd a hill on my local trail system, which was surprising for a trail bike. The back wheel is tucked way underneath and the fork is raked out. I might swap the Fox 120mm front with my Xfusion 130mm off my tallboy as it seems like the Fox 32 gets a little flexy when opening it up. But the suspension does not bottom on reasonable drops. The remote is useful from the rear shock because it is a far reach. At first I didn't think it did much since the climb mode isn't super locked, but it is effective, and you feel it if you forget to unlock it on the DHs. It feels almost like a DH or enduro bike on the DHs and is super smooth. Not sure about durability yet too soon, but the shock does look like its in a percarious positon with the Kashima shaft close to the rear wheel... I trust Dave Weigal though, and if he loves the design, then it should be okay. If I can think of a way to customize an unobtrusive shield I will. I installed a 31.6mm Reverb on it, and that crowds up the bars with levers somewhat, but it fits no problem. The Stans wheels and 180mm XT rotors are a bit heavier than I would have expected, but Overall it is super light and fast, and is everything I hoped for. There's nothing I can't live with or change so far. Nice bike overall.

Favorite Trail:   Westwoods - Guilford

Duration Product Used:   8 hours so far

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Blur LT, Heckler, Stumpjumper, 575, etc.

Bike Setup:   XTR rear der, then all XT. Upgraded bars and added a reverb.

Submitted by Matt

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2014

Strengths:    Geometry - 'New School' head angle and the shortest chainstays I've seen on a 5" travel 29er. Top tube is the right length allowing use of a short stem and standover height is outstanding.
Suspension - The split pivot works as intended. The concentric rear axle placement through the rear suspension pivot isolates braking forces and allows the shock to be tuned for supple initial travel and some ramp-up / progression to handle the bigger hits.
Genuine All-rounder - 5" of travel, <12kg (<27lb). Climbs like a mountain goat, loves descending, nimble handling. Good enough for all-day epic trail rides, marathon racing, XC, and even the odd enduro. It even has room for a bottle cage!
Components - XT w/ a XTR shadow clutch rear deraileur and Stans Crest ZTR wheels are quality items.
Looks - Call me superficial, but this bike looks a million bucks! Swoopy, curved tubes but somehow classic looking (follow the top tube - seat stay line) and nice graphics. This bike seems to attract attention wherever I go.

Weaknesses:    To acheive travel & chainstay length, the seat tube angle is very pronounced and the shock placement leaves it vunerable to wear from mud and crud. Mud isn't so much of a problem in Australia though and at the right extension the saddle placement was perfect for me (I'm 175cm, size M, 80mm stem).
Can't run a stealth-style dropper post and internal (top tube) routing for the dropper post, while great because it has internal cable guides, isn't large enough to accept the Reverb hydraulic line.
In-house bar, stem and seatpost went straight to the spare parts bin to be replaced with Thompson bar & stem and a Rockshox Reverb.

Bottom Line:
For years I've been looking for the perfect '1 bike to do it all' and I reckon this is it.
Sure, it won't tackle a serious downhill run and probably won't make it to the podium in an A-grade XC race for that matter, but it will be competitive in club XC, even more so in a long-distance or a 12+ hour event and is more than capable of tackling an enduro (so long as the hits aren't massive).

After sitting on the 29er fence for a long time and having ridden many trail-oriented 29ers (Stumpjumper, Fuel EX, Mach 429, Trance, etc.), my main critisism was the extra weight (yeah, yeah, it's overcome by reduced rolling resistance... whatever) and long chainstays resulting in a ride that could flatten out the bumps and hits, but was somewhat shall we say... Vanilla.
By comparison the Lynx is cookies n' cream with macadamia nuts and a rasberry swirl; the Lynx 4.829 is a blast to ride! The only bike I've found that can hold a candle to it is the Niner RDO, which at my LBS was another ~AUD$2K. At under 12kg and with suspension that's very active in intial travel to stick the rear wheel to the ground on steep technical climbs I have cleared sections of my local trails on this bike that I've never cleared before in 20 years of riding! The short chainstays have you looking for every dip to manual through and every lip to pop off and the slack head angle, paired with some wide (aftermarket) bars inspire absolute hooliganism on the descents. The progressive rear suspension has a tendency to resist bottoming and handles hits like a much larger bike. Add a dropper post for the cherry on top and you have the perfect treat!

I spent a fair bit of time getting my setup right. Note: If you're planning to run a dropper post, get the left-hand lever as the internal top tube routing won't handle the larger sized hydraulic line. I ended up running the dropper post via the routing intended for the rear shock lockout remote which meant (unless you want to mess around cutting cables etc.) I ended up routing the hydraulic line around the headtube and mounting the lever upside-down on the left side of the bars. The integrated XT brake/gear level mounts mean the placement of the dropper post lever isn't ideal. However, routing the rear shock lockout internally actually works better as it allows the cable to slide through the internal routing instead of kinking with movement of the rear suspension.
I also found that many of the suspension pivot hardware wasn't greased or loctited. This was probably more of a build issue via my LBS, but the suspension started creaking very early on. I should point out that it's stayed creak free now for 4 months after some TLC.
The only area's for improvement I can see are further weight reductions. An XTR or X11 drivetrain would shed some grams, as would some carbon wheels. Also, if you ride in mud a lot, I'd be looking to buy or fabricate some form of protection for the rear shock.

If you're looking for a bike that's a blast to ride, can handle some XC, marathon and even some enduro events and is a genuine head-turner, buy the BH Lynx 4.829. For my money, it's the pick of the bunch!
Thank-you BH and Mr Weagle ; - )