Banshee Bikes Prime 29er Full Suspension

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The hydroformed 7075 alloy frame has internal ribbing inside the stays to keep it laterally stiffer, particularly important for a 29er. It uses full titanium hardware throughout the pivots. It’s a modified VPP design that ends up pushing the shock pretty straight forward, putting less rotation at the shock mount = less stiction.

Submitted by butthead

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff frame, awesome climber, aggressive geometry, light weight considering the intent of the bike

Weaknesses:    Mine weighs in at 34 pounds, which some may consider heavy.

Bottom Line:
In recent years my "trail" bikes have been 40+ pound freeride bikes. This is my first true all mountain bike. I've only had a few rides on this bike and I'm very happy with my purchase. This bike is awesome. On cross country trails it is simply faster than anything else I've ridden. Compared to riding my Wildcard a few weeks ago, I'm 4 minutes faster on the same 6 mile loop. This bike excells at trail riding. It's smooth over rocky sections, it rails turns, and it climbs like a goat.

In regards to my comment above about the bike's weight, I don't consider 34 pounds to be a heavy bike. If having a sub-30 pound bike is important to you, you might want to look elsewhere. If you want a super fun bike that can handle a lot of abuse give the Prime a look. Let me put it this way. We have a local trail named Roller Coaster. While riding down the ridiculously fun descent, I felt compelled to start singing disco music ("roller coaster....of loooove"). That's how much fun this bike is.

Similar Products Used:   Transition Bottlerocket, Banshee Wildcard

Bike Setup:   Large frame, Rock Shox Revelation, Avid Codes, Specialized Command Post, Stan's Flow rims laced to Azonic hubs, Shimano XT rear and SLX front derailleur

Submitted by MartinS

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff and solid, great quality suspension, eats baby heads like an ogre, XL frame is a true XL. Interchangeable drop outs are adaptable to most current standards (including 150mm) plus allow you to fine tune the geometry to your riding preference.
Bushings of old design are gone, easy to replace common sized bearings are used throughout.

Weaknesses:    Proto is heavy, but it is a proto - production version is significantly lighter but still not a light frame - it will take everything you can throw at it though. If you are an XC rider look elsewhere.
Wheelbase is on the long side in the XL, but the TT is roomy - catch 22...

Bottom Line:
I've been riding the 'pre-production' version for the last year and it seems like any issues have been addressed in the production version. The new KS link suspension works really well, climbing is a treat and descending keeps a smile on your face, the faster you go the more stable it feels. This frame, like most Banshees, is extremely stiff laterally, it seems stiffer than the older VF4B suspension design and the bike cuts through the rough stuff like a knife.
The Prime is probably the most robust 29er frame out there, and good news for big clydes, the TT of the XL is plenty roomy. I'm 6'4" with short legs for my height and run a 60mm stem, I'm pretty sure this will fit riders up to 6'7" at least.