Banshee Bikes Prime Frame 29er Full Suspension

Banshee recognized that the 29ers on the market are geared towards cross country riding, and there wasn’t anything for the rider that wants more travel and slacker geometry. Banshee also recognized that current 29ers are flexy, due...

Submitted by Jwiffle a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2016

Strengths:    Eats up the chunk. Pedals well for the style of bike. A fairly high bb meant few pedal strikes. Adjustable geometry was a nice feature, though I never used it (left it in one setting the entire time).

Weaknesses:    A little heavy (but I had a pre-production model; current models are significantly lighter weight)

Bottom Line:
I had a pre-production model of the Prime as an industry insider. I purchased the bike because I wanted something a little more capable on the descents, and that is what I got! The bike was very confidence-inspiring. I remember one of the first rides I came up to a fairly large drop (about 4-5 feet) that I had never done before. Normally, I would stop and scout it out first. But this bike gave me the confidence to hit it without even scouting it. I rode it for a couple years and had a lot of great times on it. I eventually sold it because I wanted something lighter for endurance races. This bike was great for general all-mountain / trail riding, but 33 lbs was just a little much for doing 100 mile rides with tons of climbing.

Similar Products Used:   Niner RIP9, Giant Reign

Bike Setup:   Fox 34, carbon rims on Hope Pro 2 hubs, SRAM X9 drivetrain, Hayes Prime brakes

Submitted by rocketfuel

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs like a goat
Stable and nimble, dont feel the long wheelbase.
No brake jack
Minimal pedal feedback
Good pricepoint for being a "boutique"-ish frame.

Weaknesses:    Pretty porky weight

Bottom Line:
Two rides on my new ride, big difference between this one and my Turner 5-spot from 2004. Bought a frameset and fork from Banshee and built it up with parts I had. Will upgrade with dropper seat post in the future.

Very pleased, much like driving a Jeep. Stable but also nimble in the tight trees.