Astrix Sports Monk 29er Full Suspension

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

• 4.5 inches rear travel
  • Top tube bend for additional standover clearance
  • 7005 T6 Aluminum
  • Manitou Swinger 3 Way Air

Read the Pro Review on This Product Here>>

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Saipanda a Weekend Warrior from Saipan Island

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2011

Strengths:    Plush quiet ride, beautiful and durable paint job, well balanced, lots of ground clearance. Forgiving nature but still nimble.

Weaknesses:    Heavy when you pick it up. Seems light when you ride it.

Bottom Line:
    I love it. I put a 12-36 on it to get it up the hill since I am an older large rider (220 & 6-3). While the weight is more than the Hi Fi Pro I tested, it doesn't feel like it when riding. In fact, the weight feels perfect when flattening out those bumps and stumps. It feels like a big old Cadillac has been mated to a Jeep. The incredibly smooth ride just rolls over everything. I own a Supercaliber hardtail converted to a solid fork which weighs a lot less than the Monk. If I'm riding on a nice smooth trail or on the road, the Supercal is light and just jets along. But if the road gets bumpy or you jump off on the jungle/mountain trails we have here on Saipan, the Supercal beats me up while the Monk cradles me and protects me. It has saved my a_ _ more than once from my own mistakes and from unsuspected obstacles. The long travel and the "moto link" suspension work together wonderfully. I don't know what they did over at Astrix, but it works whatever it is. Buy this frame and put some strong components on it and go have a blast charging through the woods or canyons or just cruise along and enjoy the scenery. The bike will take care of you.

Favorite Trail:   Auto Bahn

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar and a Joshua Z,both full suspension 26ers. Gary Fisher Supercaliber 29 (a whole different feel). I own these. I tested a GF HiFi Pro before buying the Monk.

Bike Setup:   Halos laced to Hopes, Manitou Minute 120, BB7 brakes, SRAM drive train. Large size fits my 6-3, 34 inseam just right. Plenty of standover.

Submitted by Blatant a Weekend Warrior from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, strong, nice-looking, near-perfect geometry. Simple single-pivot design.

Weaknesses:    I suppose it's a bit heavy, but I don't really notice. The paint is gorgeous, though I wish there were more color options. I'm nitpicking.

Bottom Line:
    I ride pretty technical AZ trails. The Monk is the finest bike for these trails that I've owned ... and I've owned several nice bikes. I was through with 29ers after a mediocre experience with my Inbred. Thankfully I gave Astrix a try and am extraordinarily pleased. The geometry is spot-on for technical riding, particularly paired with a 120mm fork. I'm 6'2" and the L size fits me perfectly. Great tech support from Astrix, helping get the build fully dialed. Great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Phoenix Mountain Preserves

Purchased At:   Astrix direct

Similar Products Used:   On*One Inbred HT 29er. Yeti 575.

Bike Setup:   Manitou Minute 120, Hope M4, SLX 2-ring setup, Stan's Flows with Maxxis Ardent tubeless

Submitted by Randy a Cross Country Rider from MI

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2007

Strengths:    Plush single pivot design,stiff frame,good tire clearance.

Weaknesses:    The frame could lose one pound.

Bottom Line:
    Plush ride,stiff frame,great geometry,I just rode Tour De Dump in SC.The trail is tight,tech and very rooty. I first did a lap with my Blur LT and then with the Monk.
    The 29er was way smoother on the roots,turned as good as the Blur and seemed to climb as good as the Blur. I did one long hill over 3 times because I could not believe that the Monk could climb as good as the Blur,but it sure does.Great for a big guy. You will spend less time going over the bars and you will leave your budds on the decents.
    I'm sold

Favorite Trail:   Poto

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Prophet,Santa Cruz Blur LT,Giant Trance. No 29ers

Bike Setup:   Reba 100,Stan's rims with Hugi 240 hubs,Avid mech disc.Twist XO,XTR crank,Bontrager 2.2 tires

Submitted by Kyle Asel a Weekend Warrior from Peoria, AZ, U.S.

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2006

Strengths:    Stable, affordable, love those 29er wheels over the rocks. Manitou spv rear suspension.

Weaknesses:    Could be a little lighter.

Bottom Line:
    Great bike! With the combo of 29er wheels and 4"+ suspension really smoothes out the trail. Go see Scott and the guys at South Mountain Cycles- they know their 29ers!

Favorite Trail:   Trail 100

Purchased At:   South Mountain Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Surly Karate Monkey, Gary Fisher Rig

Bike Setup:   Rock shok Reba fork, Easton carbon fiber bars and seatpost, XT components.

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Columbia, SC

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff rear end. 29" wheels roll over anything. Surprisingly efficient suspension design. Great geometry, for me anyway. Durable & gorgeous paint job; nice finishing work, too - BB threads were perfectly clean.

Weaknesses:    Heavy (in XL size, anyway). Only one pivot uses sealed bearings. Slightly wonky cable routing near the headtube; required liberal application of frame-savin' sticky patches.

Bottom Line:
    I wanted a squishy 29er, but couldn't afford most of the options out there. This puppy fits the bill nicely. All-day trail geometry with 4.5" of rear wheel travel feels great on smooth rolling stuff. It feels like the headtube angle with a Reba on the front is just a bit too shallow for twitchy tree-weaving (esp. with 29" wheels), but you can safely assume anything coming will be easily rolled over and look further down the trail as a result. It might also just be me coming off an 80mm travel Italian race hardtail. It works out. At 6'3" the XL size fits me like a glove; friends comment that when I'm on the bike it looks (proportionally) like a normal 26" bike.

Here's where I should complain a bit about weight. It's standard 7005 aluminum - no fancy scandium or anything. The extra little linkage and groovy head tube gusseting probably add up to a couple hundred grams. In all honesty, however, it's a good-quality Taiwan frame, and I'll probably never be able to break it. I'm happy to deal with not having the raciest 4.5" bike out there... and it's still right at 30 pounds, so that works fine for me.

If you're a taller person and want a squishy 29er, this is definitely worth a good look. Five burninated peasants.

Favorite Trail:   Schaeffer Farms, MD

Purchased At:   Astrix Direct

Similar Products Used:   First 29er. Rode a Bianchi Grizzly hardtail for five years and a '98 FSR with 4.5" of travel in there for a while too. This feels nothing like either.

Bike Setup:   Reba, XT, BB7s, Laserdisc lite laced to Speed disc rims with Sapim spokes, Thomson & King & Truvativ cockpit. 30 pounds on the dot.

Have you guys seen this? Monk Cycles Dirt Drop

These are very cool: [url=http://www.monkcycles.com]MONK CYCLES | info[/url]Read More »

US to open first Trappist monk brewery outside Europe

US to open first Trappist monk brewery outside Europe [url]http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/12/13/america-gets-its-first-brewery-manned-exclusively-by-trappist-monks/?intcmp=features[/url] [IMG]http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/fn2/travel/spencerbrew.jpg[/IMG]Read More »

Remember Thelonious Monk?

Better, ever heard of Thelonious Monk? A true genius at the piano. I don't know how this will go over here but I listen to this all the time. You need the time to have it play in the background as you are sitting quietly, no distractions. Every time I play this I think I should link those who wo ... Read More »

Chromag Monk?

I bought a Trek Marlin to get a taste of the SS. I love it! But obviously the Marlin is an absolutely horrible DJ'er. I like the geometry and the 29er aspect but the frame is incredibly ridged and it's not a very forgiving bike. I think it will soon see a transformation into my street pounder as I m ... Read More »

Monk's Café Flemish Sour Red Ale

Looking forward to trying some Monk's Café Flemish Sour Red Ale today.... [URL="http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48/10482"]http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48/10482[/URL]Read More »