YT Industries Capra 27.5 Full Suspension

Strengths:    - suspension
- climbing agility
- components (Capra 2): RS Pike & Monarch, SRAM & Raceface drive. SRAM brakes

Weaknesses:    - E13 wheelset

Bottom Line:
I upgraded to the Capra 2 from my trusted Ellsworth Moment with a 170mm coil Lyric upfront. the Moment was a blast on the downhill but a real pig on the uphill, and I'm not getting younger or stronger. so I figured I needed a bike that can be much better on the uphill, even if I need to tune back the speed on the downhill.

5 rides later the Capra smashed all my uphill Strava Personal Records (as expected, it is a dream to climb compared to the Moment). More interesting it also turned into mincemeat all my previous downhill records, and I was already one of the fastest on those sections. the way it rides compared to the Moment is like comparing a tank to a butterfly. on the Moment I used to smash through sections using brute force and the capabilities of the RS Lyric, on the Capra I float over them, as simple as that. it feels so much less dramatic that in many sections I had to turn back and make sure that someone didn't streamline the section and take out all the boulders while I was gone. all the heavy landings that rattled my teeth seem to be gone somehow...the Capra just floats over everything.

two points to notice: the BB is lower than the Moment (I guess lower BBs are all the rage right now). which means that if you take exactly the same lines as your old and higher bike you will smash the peddles once or twice. no biggie if you are ready for it. because taking the bike airborne is much simpler, then after a while I stopped noticing it.

the E13 rear wheel lost alignment after 2 aggressive rides. I aligned it by myself but the spokes started coming apart again after one more ride. I took it to professional alignment and so far so good, but I hope it holds. this is very disappointing for a bike that is built to go down fast over brutal jumps. if eventually I need to replace the wheel-set it will still be a great value.

Similar Products Used:   - Ellsworth Moment

Bike Setup:   Capra 2 factory set up. I haven't changed a thing besides making the wheels tubeless. I might need to change the E13 wheel-set if they keep losing alignment

Submitted by slcquadzilla a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2015

Strengths:    Climbing.
Descending!!!!

Weaknesses:    Have yet to find one? Maybe a swap on the wheelset a little ways down the road.

Bottom Line:
Right out of the box I was blown away by the quality of the bike. YT had the whole thing tuned down to the derailleur so that all I needed to do was put on the wheels throw a leg over and head to my local trails!

Knowing that I bought into one of the lower models I was initially a little concerned about component specs, but YT decided even their entry level needed top end Rockshox components (Monarch Plus RC3, Pike RCT3 and a REVERB!?) and nothing lower than X9 in the drive line.

Very impressed on how well it climbs (granted I am coming from a Santa Cruz Nomad) but even more surprising is how it descends! Absolutely blown away at how well the suspension was thought out and once I had everything dialed in this thing became more fun that my Nomad ever was.

Awesome customer support out of their Reno office as I preordered my Capra AL 1 back in February, they kept me updated through the whole process. Ended up in a pretty decent crash just rolling a canyon road with a friend after a ride, clipped bars right around 40 and went down on the pavement. Little to no damage to the bike (rear wheel did need trued) but no frame damage. I did however snap a derailleur hanger, gave YT a call told them I had a race the following weekend and that I was worried about shipping time. The agreed to send one out priority! Awesome bike and awesome company. I'm sure this is the beginning of a long relationship between me and YT.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest