Ventana Zeus 27.5 Full Suspension

650b wheels are back in a big way at Ventana for 2013 starting with our newest trail god Zeus. With 140/160mm adjustable rear suspension travel, tapered head tube, 30.9 seat post and geometry and suspension optimized to take advantage of the new crop of big travel suspension forks and meaty tire offerings on the expanding 650b horizon Zeus is poised to dominate.

Submitted by RC

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2013

Strengths:    EVERYTHING

Bottom Line:
This is my first Ventana. I was previously on a Motolite, which I loved. But, wow, what a difference! I'm going both uphill and downhill much faster and little effort. I can clear routes I could not before. I feel like I'm cheating. There is no significant brake jack. Pedal bob is absent in the climb mode. I know there are many 650B bikes out there now, but I've tried most of them, and this was the best for me. Because of technology, the differences between bikes are small, but for me, this bike is the one!

Submitted by Wipp a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2013

Strengths:    Very "tune-able" and responsive to the CTD Fox shock adjustments. After riding a DW Sultan for three years with 18.2" chain stays this bike feels VERY playful. The Sultan had a fierce straight line mentality with the big hoops and the long chain stays where as the Zeus begs to pop off of root sections, grab air everywhere and steer with the rear wheel through hairpins. Way more woods friendly on the tight trails than my former bike. Great tire clearance, fit and finish is excellent. The 27.45 wheels are bit slower than the 29ers on flat/rolling tech trails but you can also feel the gain on quick punchy climbs. The 27.5's also feel much better in the air than the 29ers that I've been riding for the last 10 years and the smaller wheels easily feel strong enough for 5' drops. I no longer pre-visualize a taco'ed wheel when I have to land a less than perfect jump.

Weaknesses:    Some might think that the single pivot design is a weakness, but after riding a DW for a few years I am happy to have the simplicity, tune-ability and rigidity back in my frame. So far no major weaknesses to comment on, except the loss of some rolling inertia that the 29er wheels had.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been a welcome change from the 29ers that I've been trying to dress up as all-mountain bikes. I always felt a sense of compromise on 4-5' travel DW 29ers that I don't feel on the Zeus. It weighs less, is more tune-able, stronger and way more fun to goof off on.

Favorite Trail:   Angry Midget & Crazy Ivan