Turner Flux 27.5 27.5 Full Suspension

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

The Flux 27.5 has been completely redesigned from the ground up to take your pursuit for exceptional trail riding further & faster than ever before. Now featuring 27.5 inch wheels to get that perfect balance of trail dominating control and the playful agility for technical twisty singletrack. With a slacker head angle and lower bb for a package that will eat up every foot of trail without sacrificing the nimble traits of its xc lineage.

Submitted by josesanchez89 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2015

Strengths:    Durable, Stiff, Simple

Weaknesses:    Cable routing.

Bottom Line:
This is my second Turner frame I would still be riding my first one if it hadn't been stolen. The Flux is the quietest bike you'll ever ride. The grease ports make maintenance a breeze. The pivots are very easily replaced. Turner takes pride in their welding so the bike looks as good as it performs. The flux can handle it all. It climbs like a scared monkey and descends like an all mountain bike.

Favorite Trail:   Squirrel Gap Pisgah NC

Purchased At:   Turner Bikes online

Similar Products Used:   Turner RFX, Specialized XC

Bike Setup:   MRP Loop fork, Profile Racing Hubs, Spank rims, raceface cranks

Submitted by mtbmitch2

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2015

Strengths:    American made, DW technology which equates to the best climbing FS system out there. One can get the frame painted or anodized in just about any color you want. Still uses a threaded bottom bracket. Great balance of bottom bracket height, chain stay length and head angle. The bike requires very little input. High quality welds and a beefy derailleur hangar which is of course replaceable. I had a 09 dw Flux and currently also have a 2012 Sultan. The new 3.0 Flux is much more like the old 26er flux for the fun factor and at the same time it is stable like the Sulltan.
Running a Manitou Marvel Pro which is a good match for the Flux. Bottom bracket height is 13.1 with a true 2.3 size tire on the front and a 2.25 rear tire. Another plus for the new Flux is the additional clearance for a large water bottle. My frame came with the new one piece dw link which is supposed to reduce flex by about 19%. With the current inventory reduction pricing, this bike is one heck of a deal. My built up at 24.65 pounds with a 3x10.

Weaknesses:    though it is not a real issue, wish the front derailleur cable tab welded on the seat tube had this tab oriented a bit more in line with the open cable. Would like to see zip tie cable holders (old school and lighter)

Bottom Line:
The bike feels like it has more travel than the 120mm it has. Great buy and great customer service, you can even get the owner on the phone. Join the Homer crowd

Submitted by MikeDeee

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2014

Strengths:    Climbing, stability, descending, technical, pounds/dollar, American designed, American made

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I own a 4-bar 2008, 26'er Flux, and just replaced it with the Flux 27.5. The bike feels similar to my old Flux, but does everything better. Everything.
I was worried that my new flux would be tougher to muscle through switchbacks because it has a longer wheelbase, and I was worried the front end would slide on the uphill switchbacks because of the slacker head angle. Not the case at all. I am just grinning at the ease of carving down, and dicing up, switchbacks vs. my old Flux.And, my old flux was a great climber and very nimble.
Climbing is amazing. The larger wheels combined with the DW/Fox suspension allows me to just roll up and over stuff I usually pick my way around. I am just faster on the new Flux.
Descending is very familiar feeling, and my Flux allows me to feel comfortable railing turns, leaned over and committed. The suspension tracks and the frame is stiff. I have the TALAS fork, and the 140mm is awesome for descents. I do climb in the 120 length, however.
I have the XL, anodized frame. I have the Turner XT kit, with Enve XC wheels upgrade.
I am 6'2", 175lbs. The bike fits me well and I like having the TALAS to bring the hand position up. THe kit comes with a flat Thomson bar and 0 degree rise, 80mm Thomson stem. If I did not have the TALAS, I would probably fly a riser bar or 10 degree stem, because I have long legs that would leave me with a 3" drop from saddle to stem. But, with the TALAS, I have a reasonable drop, and can lower the front for the extended climbs. I took about 3/4" off each end of the bar and may take some more off, and go to a 100mm stem, since the new style of super-wide bars is just not for me. The bar is 720mm stock. It is a trend that I am not totally down with. But, I am going to try it the way Dave and crew spec it.
I did not have a chance to demo the bike because no local shops stock it. But I decided to trust that Dave Turner created a better version of my beloved Flux, and bought it on faith.
Lastly, this bike was not only designed in the USA, but also welded by men and women in the USA. It matters to me that in the creation of my machine, a wage was earned in the USA. I would love a carbon Turner, and one day I might get one. But I was able to get an XL, aluminum, hand-made, sexy-welds frame that weighs a hair over 6 lbs. 6. Many/most? XL carbon frames weigh almost as much or more. AND, I don't have to sweat every frickin' time I raise a wrench to it on the trail, fearing the dreaded carbon crack of over-tightening.

Submitted by NarrowPath

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2013

Strengths:    Light and spry.
Really fun to ride
Shoots up hills
Rips down trails

Weaknesses:    Not for serious bombing
Not as forgiving as the new Burner or 5-Spot

Bottom Line:
I had the opportunity to demo a Flux. I ride an 09 5-Spot. If the Flux and Burner existed then as they do now, I would have selected one of them over the 5-Spot. Note: I LOVE the 5-Spot.

I would say the 5 Spot is for super chunder, Burner is for loving the down more than up, and the Flux is for loving it all. The shallower HT angle on the Burner makes the down a little less sketchy. All in all, the flux is a great all-mountain bike for those of us who are really all-mountain. That is, I don't do big rock rolls or try to clear the doubles, or even try the doubles.

I am trying to envision what would make the Flux a better bike, given its purpose, and nothing is leaping to mind, sans the fact that the one I rode had no dropper post, and I really, really enjoy having the dropper.

I just saw a deal from my LBS that you can get a complete Burner or Flux for $3500. Awesome.