Trek Remedy 27.5 27.5 Full Suspension

Remedy is the ultimate technical trail bike. Light frame, plush suspension, and precise handling all add up to a stellar ride that goes up, goes down, goes everywhere.

Submitted by provin1327

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2014

Strengths:    Price, weight, climbing ability, descending ability

Weaknesses:    Rear suspension limited at times

Bottom Line:
I have put about 300 miles on my 2014 Remedy 8 and I can say with confidence that this bike is amazing. It climbs up everything and descends down anything. I've taken it on long XC rides, short technical rides, and even bike parks and jump lines. The Remedy handled everything with ease. Comparing it to the Slash, I feel that if you are the type of rider that does 70% climbing and 30% downhill the Remedy is the perfect bike. It handles the downhill but is a bit more suited for pedaling. If you ride more aggressive terrain most of the time go with something that has a bit more travel like the Slash. The only weakness I have found so far is with the rear suspension. It seems that it is aired up to handle bigger hits but is rough on the small stuff or it is aired at the right pressure for the small stuff but is then limited on the bigger hits. That can be fixed with a Push Industries DRCV volume reducer insert. All in all this bike is the perfect trail bike. It can do it all right out of the box, I don't feel the need for any upgrades other than possibly the Push Industries DRCV insert for the rear. The components that come on this bike for this price just make it an awesome bike.

Submitted by Lou a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2014

Strengths:    Snappy, responsive, relatively lightweight, climbs well, silent descender.

Weaknesses:    None at this time

Bottom Line:
I just bought this bike one week ago. I love it! I had been looking at the Santa Cruz Bronson and the Pivot Mach 6. I settled on the Trek because the price was very good and I loved the DRCV shock setup. First time riding a dropper post. Not sure how I road without one before. Climbing is slighly easier than my ALU FS bike but the downhill - this thing is a hell of a ride and it just wants to rip and shred! I am riding flats on this and will move to clipless but on my old Marin prior to giving them a shot on the new Trek. PS XT components rock!

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim/WesternStates

Duration Product Used:   one week

Purchased At:   Sumit Bikes, Los Gat

Submitted by mark59

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2013

Strengths:    Stiffness in the BB , strong climber, braking while descending is very smooth, agile handler, traction, XT components, and XT brakes,the rear feels endless and very plush , dropper post, smooth over bumps while pedaling

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any worth mentioning

Bottom Line:
I was lucky enough to spend the whole day demoing this 27.5 Remedy 9.8 , thanks to Shawn at Epicenter Cycling.

I can say I had expectations of this bike's suspension because I had demoed a Remedy 26 inch bike earlier in the year and it was also very plush and had an endless feel to the rear so I knew the characteristics of the Remedy's suspension. After Shawn set the sag I rode off headed for the most technical trails I knew in Santa Cruz.

The first thing I noticed was that the bike fit me like a glove. Which is rare, I have been demoing bikes for some time and that does not always happen. I was fit on a medium and I am 5'8", I was very comfortable on the bike. Pedaling on the streets before I even arrived to the trails I also noticed how well it peddled very smooth and stiff with good acceleration, it felt lively even in the high gear on the street.

When I got to the first climb I locked the fork out and kept the rear shock in trail mode I thought for sure I would not like the rear shock in trail mode because all the bikes I currently own are 29er hard tails and I like to climb out of the saddle allot. I didn't expect this bike to climb well out of the saddle boy was I in for a big surprise.

I never needed to adjust the lever for the rear shock for the entire climb. Just a note it was a steep climb with roots, no heavy rocks, the top gets a bit more technical and there are more roots to climb over. What I started to notice was how agile the bike is to maneuver around the roots much more flickable then the 29er. I don't move my front end much when I ride the 29er, its more of a point and shoot approach. The Remedy 27.5 still went over the roots fine not as easy as the 29er but I was able to lift and put the front tire anywhere I wanted it with ease. Another feature I also liked about this bike is the front end is easy to manual but not so much that on a steep climb it comes off the ground, it stayed planted on the steep climbing sections and tracked well.

When I wanted to lift the front tire over roots or log crossing it was very light and agile. I think the bike is balanced very well.

When I arrived at the top I put both levers in descend mode and dropped the seat, the dropper post worked like a charm all day long and the internal cable routing is pretty sweet. The descending on this trail is fast steep and rocky with jumps, in one section its very steep, and the turns have huge ruts in them you can carry lots of speed on this trail the Remedy performed flawless I took the harder lines which I usually avoid on my hard tail. The first thing that I was thinking was I could have taken it even faster. On the jumps when the bike is in the air it feels light and the landings are plush. The rear shock was set more toward the stiffer side so there was about 20 pounds to work with if I wanted to go softer which after riding it I did let some air out for the last rocky decent and boy was it smooth. At this point in the ride it comes to a super tight single track with lot of ruts you can get stuck in a rut or you can pick a line to smooth it out. Now I just let it fly in the ruts out of the ruts it didn't matter I was really seeing the capabilities of this bike. You could let it go and get over your head and it would find its way out. At the end I hit the pavement back to the shop and put both the rear shock and front fork in climb mode it was like riding my hard tail. I can say all my goals were met and surpassed. All the Shimano Xt shifters and brakes worked very well I had no issues with the 2x10, I just demoed bikes this past weekend with the 1x11 and it is nice but not a huge deal for me. What is very important for me was the XT brakes the other bikes that I tried had Avid brakes, that I am not a fan of. The Remedy is perfect for a rider that likes Shimano.

There are a few other things that are hard to ignore if you buy this bike:

Lifetime warranty on the frame,

Trek Care Plus, which is wheel to wheel coverage that includes wear and tear for 3 years ( this is an option)

Life time tune ups from the dealer. I do most of my own work but its still nice to have this support.

Favorite Trail:   Toads

27.5/650b Remedy and Slash?

Check out this tweet. [url]https://twitter.com/ilikesushi/status/357545735874543616[/url] Credible? dunno. Reinvent Top Fuel with 650b? Curious.Read More »