Santa Cruz Bantam 27.5 Full Suspension

125mm of single-pivot suspension and a robust collet pivot axle system create a rock-solid trail tool that's as awesomely simple as it is tough. 27.5" wheels deliver those fabled rolling benefits without comprising maneuverability, leaving the Bantam ready to go the distance if you are.

Submitted by Greg L a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2017

Strengths:    Simplicity, burly, great looking, value

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest

Bottom Line:
I've been mountain biking since 1993 and have owned a lot of bikes. I have a Blur original that I beat on for 12 years before building up this Bantam. SC are tough and logically designed bikes - i.e. threaded bottom brackets, please SC don't get rid of them. After riding VPP for so long I decided to go with a SP because of durability and cost (I built up this bike XT, custom ARC30 wheels, and Fox 34 140) for around $2K (had a few random parts already); you can't get into that level of quality for a multi linkage bike for less than ~$3500 + tax.

Here are my observations after about 200 miles on the Front Range of CO. If you want a durable, near maintenance free trail bike that can take a lot of trail abuse go with this bike. If you have work, family, life commitments that require you to ride hard and put away wet, this is a great choice. The travel of SP feels slightly different than VPP. Essentially there feels like there is less travel due to the lack of a progressive spring rate, but it feels more lively and poppy. Not better or worse, just slightly different. I have clocked significantly faster times over the blur....which is probably due to several incremental improvements (wheel size, tubeless tires, 1x drivetrain forcing harder riding, thru axles). Pedal bob is a non-issue - have not sensed it. I have not experienced any feedback from hard breaking (i.e. brake jack) CTD Lockout works as advertised and I use it on most fire road climbs. I run Maxxis 2.4/2.5 but there is plenty of clearance to run the new 2.6-2.7" generation of 27.5" tires coming online - which I intend to try out.

If you got into MTB in the 80's or 90's, and are shocked at the cost and rapid standard change of the industry this is a great bike to be had in the $2K range - based on the longevity of my blur I expect to get 15-20 years out of this bike. If you can find a gently used/new original stock frame, snatch it up. For sizing, I'm 5'11" and went with the large (after riding medium in SC Blur). Though the frames have gotten longer and slacker, the cockpits have gotten tighter. For SC - I think you need to bring back SP; it's a great way to attract folks to the sport without crossing into the 3K price point.

Favorite Trail:   North Cheyenne Canyon, CO

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Built up

Similar Products Used:   Trek 930, Trek 950, Gary Fisher Supercaliber, Specialized M2 Pro, Specialized Tarmac, Bianchi Vigorelli, Santa Cruz Blur Classic, Gunner Rockhound

Bike Setup:   1x XT, Raceface ARC 30 rims/DT350 hubs, Fox 34 140