Santa Cruz 5010 27.5 Full Suspension

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

When the 5010 dropped, the world got an up-close-and-personal look at the next generation of mid-wheeled trail bikes. In that spirit, Santa Cruz offers 5010 X0-1 AM complete bike. With its 27.5 inch wheels and proven FOX suspension, it'll make short work of hairy trails and all-day rides. The...

Submitted by sandyeggo a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2014

Strengths:    Snappy, fast, agile, and fun.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket is a touch too low, leading to pedal strikes - even on midwest singletrack; Fox fork

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the 2013 SC Solo C (prior to the 5010 rename) in Rescue Orange.

This is my first carbon mountain bike and my first dedicated 650b bike. Previous to this I owned a Cannondale Rush 650b.

Overall, I love this bike! It is light, fast, and most of all fun.

Climbing: climbs great in all suspension modes. The pedal platform is very firm and very little bob in Trail mode. This the default mode I find myself in although on fire road climbs I sometimes put it in Climb mode.

Flats: this thing rails on the flats. It turns fast and accurate and you can really 'carve'. This is the benefit of the low BB. On the downside, be careful because if you don't pay attention you can clip a pedal on a rock or root.

Descending: fantastic! This bike makes going downhill so much fun. Granted, my only other experience with a full suspension bike was one with 110mm of travel so some of that may have to do with the travel, but I suspect a lot of it has to do with the more relaxed geo.

Other notes:
I did not get the lowest end carbon build as this is to be my dream bike. As a result, I had to compromise on the build. With the exception of the Fox fork, everything works great, but could be a little lighter - particularly the wheelset. With a lighter wheelset, this thing will get even better.

I did not like the Fox fork. In did not soak up small bumps and didn't seem to handle the big ones well either. Then it developed some play and made a clicking noise. To Fox's credit, they replaced the legs and upgraded to Kashima free. In the end I replaced it with a RockShox Rev, which I like much better. Someday I'll throw a Lefty on it (my favorite fork).

I also did not care for the stock tires. They seemed heavy, slow, and did not grip on the rear. Part of that may be that they are overkill for the trails I ride. I now have a Neo Moto front and rear and love them.

Changes I've made: I went to a 1 x 10 drive train using a Wolf Tooth chainring. Highly recommended! I do not miss the front derailleur (which on every bike I've ever owned has always been fussy). I also upgraded to XT brakes (best brakes I've ever had!).

Overall:

I would highly recommend this bike to anybody looking for a very versatile trail bike. You can lighten up for cross country race duty (granted, not for serious racers); or beef it up and you can really challenge it.

Favorite Trail:   Matson Hill

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Rush, SC Chameleon

Bike Setup:   1 x 10, XT brakes, Neo Moto tires; rest stock

Submitted by DiveDoc

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2014

Strengths:    Handles like a dream in the rough/tech stuff. Climbs well. Surprisingly, it even handles the stunts and features.
Incredible all around bike. Great for all occasions.

Weaknesses:    125mm of travel is just a little light for flat landings.

Bottom Line:
3 Rides over a week. 2 in the Soquel Demonstration Forrest and one on the trails around UC Santa Cruz. Anyone that says this bike is "just" an XC bike lied to you.

The 5010-C handled every trail and every feature in the Soquel Demonstration forest (Demo), mostly 4'-6' log drops and jumps, a few (2) bigger hits, and some pretty gnarly and steep tech sections. The geometry is great for hard riding. A slightly longer toptube and low bottom bracket lets you really get low in the bike. It's surprisingly stable going through meaty sections of trail and fast open angle turns at high speeds (I took me a second to get the feel for her, and I over turned a few times). It also is very responsive in tights turns.

I'm pretty loyal to the 26" wheel based on the style of riding that I do, but I expect the 5010-C will be my next purchase. It's a great bike for all occasions. Only once in the UC Trail System did I wish that I had my normal 160mm 66 Degree HA bike, feeling that the 5010-C was really at it's limits.

First time I've used the XX1 Drive Train, but I was pretty impressed with that also. The XTR Breaks performed excellently as expected.

Favorite Trail:   Braille: Soquel Demonstration Forest

Duration Product Used:   1 Week

Purchased At:   Borrowed from MTBR

Bike Setup:   XX1 Drive, XTR Breaks, ENVY AM Carbon Rims, Havoc Carbon Bars.

Submitted by t0pcat a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2013

Strengths:    Great climber,descends well,rolls fast, great breaks

Weaknesses:    front derailleur swapped to xt to stop rubb and shift better

Bottom Line:
Have a superlight 29 and the solo is better everywhere for me. Snappy and lively feeling everywhere compared to the sl29.
My fastest strava time up the dike was with the solo over the sl29 and a fargo doesn't make sense but ? I've made climbs easily on the solo that i barely made on the sl have yet to feel like i'm going to go over the bars like on the sl much easier to get on top of the gear on the solo. Really loving this bike and don't think i could have had a custom built bike that fits and works better for me. I'm 6' 230lbs old faurt on a large