Pivot Cycles Mach 6 27.5 Full Suspension

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)

With both mid-sized wheels and enduro being the buzz-worthy topics of the year, it comes with little surprise that the Pivot Mach 6 has garnered so much attention. With a lightweight carbon fiber frame, and enduro-tuned DW Link suspension, it has everything that you could ask for to haul the mail...

Submitted by Throttlemire a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2014

Strengths:    Handling. Climbing. Versatility. Balance.

Weaknesses:    Fox suspension. Stock stem, saddle, grips, tires. Cable routing

Bottom Line:
This frame deserves five chilis. The build kit and cable routing bring it down to four chilis. I bought the X01 kit in January of 2014 (after a two-month wait).

The bike can handle 99% of what you can throw at it on just about any trail outside of a bike park. I have been riding it for a solid ten months, so I've gotten to know the good and bad. I am an expert level rider and charge very hard. The bike is amazing at descending and being able to eat up the chunk. It corners amazing well and is very flickable for how solid it is on the descents. You can either lean back and straight line it and let the DW work it's majic, or zig and zag your way down the trail with incredible ease and confidence. The bike is super forgiving for how capable it is. The geo puts you in the exact right spot for aggressive riding, yet when it gets away from you, the bike somehow manages to save your ass if you can hold on and keep your weight in the right spot. On the flipside of that, you can overcook it pretty easily as the bike is so fast and confidence insipiring.

The problems with the bike are the retarded cable routing - my LBS actually didn't use the "extenders" to keep the cable off the shock mount, so the mount has bad cable rub. You have to remove the shock to replace the RD cable or rear brake line. NOt a huge PITA, but not a good design. The rear axle is too close to the frame and the chain has actually rubbed on the frame in that section. No bottle mount inside the frame is also a drawback.

The bike can get noisy when the rear shock mounting bolt gets loose. The BB and headset have also made a lot of noise and I fixed that with simply removing then and cleaning them up with sandpaper and using lube when re-installing them. THe bike now has a different noise that I need to figure out.

Favorite Trail:   Repo Man

Purchased At:   The Path Trabuco Can

Similar Products Used:   Intense Carbine 275

Bike Setup:   Rockshock Pike at 150mm. Thomson 50mm stem. Avid XO trail brakes. Light Bicycles 35mm wide hookless carbon rims on Maxxis HR II. KS LEV Integra. Volt Saddle. Time pedals.

Submitted by Hank Rowe a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2014

Strengths:    "Balance" - see below

Weaknesses:    Obligatory cable comment - see below

Bottom Line:
I started reading Andrew's review, and thought "Did I post a review already"... then I saw the extensive back ground, and peeled back, so I'll just write my own. Also at 52, and purchased my first bike - Diamondback Ridgerunner in 1983 - and have ridden many, many since - raced some, and even won class twice, but prefer the longer all-day epics (don't we all?). My trail of choice (because I am 5 minutes riding time away) are the 50-Year trail network in Catalina, AZ (North of Tucson) - providing a range of flowing smooth singletrack, to incredibly steep and challenging granite rollers - hard-pack, rocky, chickenheads, sandy, boulders - it has it all, except the benefits of higher altitude in summer ;-)

My last "dream bike" is important - an '06 Titus Moto Lite, the last year of the company headed by Chris Cocalis. The 5" bike did allow me to break into the "all mountain" riding... a wonderful bike, which now - sadly - is relegated to the "back-up". For 8 years, she was not only my primary steed, but my only steed. She has done me more than well in riding nearly every trail system in the southwest to include trails in California, each of the 4-corner states, and a smattering of riding across the country - especially Pennsylvania. She rolled awesomely, and took me to some of the most stunning places that mountain biking can take you. But - like all good things, it was time.

In searching the market - I knew I was leaning towards 27.5", and was determined to find a 6" travel bike right around the 30# mark. And - it had to fit my "style"... while I will always keep my Titus, I pretty much am a monogamous trail rider. The glove had to fit.

Wow - did it. I pulled the trigger for the XT/Pro level, upgrading to a KS LEV dropper post, and OneUp conversion to a 1x10. I won't belabor the others I tried - which were all nice - but my first ride on the shop demo told me "this was it" - and now having taken her out, introducing her to the epics slowly (mostly because my fat ass gained 20# over this summer!)... she fits like that old, worn, glove that you always reach for - yet, with the cool graphic/color, and the ride... oh the ride... you know. I have been able to play a bit, finding that she takes care of my stupid line choice with ease. Don;t try to stand and pedal (unless you need that little boost of body english)... drop a gear and remain in the climb. I could go through all that this bike can do, and will instill in me to do in the future - but bottom line - she is incredibly balanced. I literally feel like I'm in the middle of a well-articulated machine... confidence in the downhill, a steadfast climber, just rides the trails - anything that I've thrown at it so far (in a month or so of riding) - with ease and purpose. Given my past history, I will enjoy riding her in all the old familiar places, and many, many more for years to come :-D Thank you Chris Cocalis and all at Pivot!

Summary:
Incredibly balanced. Shocked not supplied with dropper post (though does allow rider preference). Cabling is awkward, but as one reviewer posted, there just aren't many options. Quick-fix: mechanic-extraordinaire-Dane zip-tied the crossing cables just above the frame shock, I made sure and slipped back to position lock-nub right with shock mount (so as to avoid contact with stansion during movement) - this has worked like a charm. Also - nice plate to cover the missing front derailleur - but now I need something to plug the routing hole for the said derailleur cable...

I'll be honest - aside from the little notes above (cable, etc), this bike is perfection. I cannot imagine a ride being more solid and balanced - and a true-build-weight of under 28# (includes dropper, Stans, pedals...), yeah... it's easy to carry when you have to ;-)

Favorite Trail:   50-Year

Duration Product Used:   Month

Purchased At:   Tucson Endurance Per

Bike Setup:   XT/Pro Build Kit with KS LEV dropper post, One-Up to 1x10 (32 front, 42 rear)

Submitted by andrew a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2014

Strengths:    The obvious..downhill master. Quick turner. Dominating carver. Clean lines. No surprises, just a control machine. Nimble in technical climbing. Light for its travel class. XX1 is clean and simple, almost as good as XTR.

Weaknesses:    Your friends will be jealous forever.

Bottom Line:
At 52 years of age, I have been on a MTB since 1985. I have ridden every style of bike except for a recumbant. I have a strong XC background, and have raced super d and CX. Having lived in Jackson Hole, Hood River and Bend, I have been exposed to all MTB environments out there.
This bike is a dream come true and it surprises you each ride.
My friends say that i have said this about every bike i have owned. True that. But the difference here is you have a true all in one bike. I am very fit and have excellent technical skills that help offset the extra weight and slacker head angle of this 6 inch bike. Yet, i believe it still fits the one bike quiver class.
Every ride exposes more great qualities of this bike.

Favorite Trail:   all

Fox shocks

Submitted by phantom beef a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2014

Strengths:    - DW Link quiver killer
- Top tier materials, progressive design, and quality build
- Very proficient climber - efficient pedaling with excellent power transmission and no pedal bob/feedback
- Bomber on descents - geometry/slack hta inspires confidence on steeps and 650b wheels roll easily through the chunder

Weaknesses:    - Cable routing - a little messy and requires some attention if you're ocd
- Anemic kenda nevegal / honey badger tires
- No factory spec'd dropper post at this pricepoint

Bottom Line:
To give a little background I started mountain biking in '97 on a Schwinn Homegrown, and in '06 i bought my first full suspension bike - an Ibex Ignition Sport (internet brand which basically copied the geometry of a Trek Fuel EX) which I rode till the wheels fell off. So in going to the M6 I basically upgraded from an '06 Hyundai Elantra to a '14 Lexus LFA.

I live in the Denver metro area along the front range, and ride 3-4 times a week mostly consisting of local trails (LOTB, apex, buffalo creek, indian creek, waterton canyon, mount falcon, ridgeline) and average rides are in the 10-15 mile / 1k-2k ft. range. I also own a '13 Spesh Status 2 strictly for DH lift-served riding at Trestle/Sol Vista/Keystone, and while I choose not to subject the M6 to that kind of abuse, it can easily handle all of the DH terrain I ride while being a very efficient pedaler.

The M6 inspires confidence on the ups and downs, and leaves a $#iT eating grin on your face. Before the M6 I was intimidated by some of the more difficult climbs along the front range (Mount Falcon, Apex, Waterton Canyon on the CO Trail section), but ever since I bought the M6 not only have I conquered those climbs on numerous occasions but I'm also finding that I'm confident enough to explore new trails without feeling like I might be getting in over my head; and I'm riding much more than I ever have because it's just an all around blast to ride. I'm even setting new PR's on Strava - without being a Stravahole of course - beating old PR's sometimes in the order of minutes. To date, I've owned the M6 for four months and am proud to say I have already logged over 400 miles and 50k feet over 50 hours of riding (Moab, Fruita, Sedona, and the front range) and the M6 continues to push me to progress my skills and ride harder and faster every minute I'm on the trail. If you have the means I highly recommend

Favorite Trail:   captain ahab, ups, lps, zippity do-da, joe's ridge, el corte, lotb

Duration Product Used:   50 hours / 420 miles / 50k feet

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Bike Setup:   rear shock: fox float ctd kashima
rear travel: 155 mm
handlebar width: 755 mm
grips: odi rogue
stem: syntace megaforce 2
saddle: spesh henge
seatpost: ks lev dropper post
wheelset: dt swiss 350 spline one xr xd tubeless
axles: [front] 15mm thru-axle, [rear] 12x142mm thru-axle
tires: [front] spesh butcher, [rear] spesh slaughter

Submitted by noish

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2014

Strengths:    DW Link, lightweight, excellent uphill handling.

Weaknesses:    Flexy rear, fox CTD float x

Bottom Line:
Switched from Ibis Mojo HD to a Pivot Mach 6 this season. Both 650b. While very similar, I have to say that the Ibis rear triangle is significantly stiffer. The Pivot rear is fairly noodley/flexy. Sometimes the rear tire will hit the seat stay on a ride. While both sport the DW link rear suspension, the Pivot is a bit more bobby with pedaling than the Ibis. Maybe its the CTD float X. Descend mode has zero compression dampening, and Trail1-3 offer a dead feeling. I don't know how else to describe it. The shock wallows a bit in the midrange.
I do appreciate the fit of the Pivot. BB height is just right. Steering and uphill handling are great. While I think it's a great bike, these my impressions after coming off a similar bike. In fact, I moved all components and switched only the frame and rear shock. So a pretty even comparison. The 650b trail bike concept is a great idea and a lot of fun.

Please note: I am just a guy who rides for fun and do not get any deals from any of these companies. Yep, I pay retail.

Submitted by DiamonDave a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2014

Strengths:    Super stiff, climbs like a goat, destroys the downs, happy in the air - makes me a better, more confident rider in all situations. I guess you can read that as the bike makes up for my mistakes...

Weaknesses:    Pricey, pricey, pricey... Not S-Works pricey, but still a hefty chunk of change. As others mentioned - the cable routing is pretty rough. Not a single component or ride issue though.

Bottom Line:
I'm a short, fat, bald little man that looks (and probably rides) way more like Danny Devito than Steve Smith, but the Mach6 rips - no questions about it. I'm a better rider on it than on any other bike I've ridden - way faster on the ups, way faster on the downs, and more smooth all around. It always puts a big stupid grin on my face when I'm riding it.

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach6 - Stock XT/XTR set up w/ KS LEV Integra dropper post, Loaded AMXC Grips.

Submitted by Stupordave a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2014

Strengths:    Biggest strength is the tremendous bike control over a variety of terrain. Been riding for 17 years and this is the most versatile bike I've ever ridden. Amazing how plush the ride can be when bombing dhill over rocky/rooty stuff but still climbs very well. It's made me faster on just about every trail I ride while still retaining the fun factor. The Fox 34 and Float X are perfectly matched.

Weaknesses:    As mentioned by others, the cable routing is a bit tricky. Have to remove the shock to change to cables. Put a little Loctite on the rear shock bolt as mine came loose after a few rough rides. Did swap out the front tire for a Nevagal for better traction and the DT Swiss rims took a while to get holding air in tubeless mode. Not much else to complain about.

Bottom Line:
Hands down the best all-mountain bike I've ridden. Has convinced me to sell a few of my other bikes as it's hard to grab any other bike for trail riding. Two thumbs up.

Purchased At:   South Main Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Nomad Carbon (great bike and still own but set-up fairly beefy), Intense Uzzi VP, Nomad Al, Pivot Firebird, Giant Reign

Bike Setup:   Stock XT/XTR build with Lev dropper. Did swap out the stem for a 65mm for more control in the air.

Submitted by mustleaveplanet a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2014

Strengths:    -Amazingly composed on gnarly descents.. Makes up for my vast lack of bike skills!
-Light, Stiff and Quiet
-DW link stays active but still cancels out pedal Bob
-Somehow still climbs surprisingly well despite slack geometry

Weaknesses:    - It's one of the most expensive frames in the category
- Cable routing is messy (in Pivot's defence, there's not many options with the suspension layout)

Bottom Line:
Got this frame just before Xmas and built it up with a set of 160mm Rockshox Pikes up front and 1x10 Shimano XT group set. The finished bike is just over 12kg with pedals!
It pedals very well for a 155mm Travel bike. On the downs it gets better the harder it is pushed with a very forgiving nature. It doesn't charge up hills quite as quickly as a Pivot Mach 5.7 but it's not far off (even with a 66 degree H/A and q60mm forks). In every other situation it's a complete beast and can handle DH work as well as all day trail rides. Amazing machine.

Favorite Trail:   Split Enz, Rotorua, NZ