Pivot Cycles Mach 6 27.5 Full Suspension

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

With both mid-sized wheels and enduro being the buzz-worthy topics of the year, it comes with little surprise that the Pivot Mach 6 has garnered so much attention. With a lightweight carbon fiber frame, and enduro-tuned DW Link suspension, it has everything that you could ask for to haul the mail...

Submitted by phantom beef a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2014

Strengths:    - DW Link quiver killer
- Top tier materials, progressive design, and quality build
- Very proficient climber - efficient pedaling with excellent power transmission and no pedal bob/feedback
- Bomber on descents - geometry/slack hta inspires confidence on steeps and 650b wheels roll easily through the chunder

Weaknesses:    - Cable routing - a little messy and requires some attention if you're ocd
- Anemic kenda nevegal / honey badger tires
- No factory spec'd dropper post at this pricepoint

Bottom Line:
To give a little background I started mountain biking in '97 on a Schwinn Homegrown, and in '06 i bought my first full suspension bike - an Ibex Ignition Sport (internet brand which basically copied the geometry of a Trek Fuel EX) which I rode till the wheels fell off. So in going to the M6 I basically upgraded from an '06 Hyundai Elantra to a '14 Lexus LFA.

I live in the Denver metro area along the front range, and ride 3-4 times a week mostly consisting of local trails (LOTB, apex, buffalo creek, indian creek, waterton canyon, mount falcon, ridgeline) and average rides are in the 10-15 mile / 1k-2k ft. range. I also own a '13 Spesh Status 2 strictly for DH lift-served riding at Trestle/Sol Vista/Keystone, and while I choose not to subject the M6 to that kind of abuse, it can easily handle all of the DH terrain I ride while being a very efficient pedaler.

The M6 inspires confidence on the ups and downs, and leaves a $#iT eating grin on your face. Before the M6 I was intimidated by some of the more difficult climbs along the front range (Mount Falcon, Apex, Waterton Canyon on the CO Trail section), but ever since I bought the M6 not only have I conquered those climbs on numerous occasions but I'm also finding that I'm confident enough to explore new trails without feeling like I might be getting in over my head; and I'm riding much more than I ever have because it's just an all around blast to ride. I'm even setting new PR's on Strava - without being a Stravahole of course - beating old PR's sometimes in the order of minutes. To date, I've owned the M6 for four months and am proud to say I have already logged over 400 miles and 50k feet over 50 hours of riding (Moab, Fruita, Sedona, and the front range) and the M6 continues to push me to progress my skills and ride harder and faster every minute I'm on the trail. If you have the means I highly recommend

Favorite Trail:   captain ahab, ups, lps, zippity do-da, joe's ridge, el corte, lotb

Duration Product Used:   50 hours / 420 miles / 50k feet

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Bike Setup:   rear shock: fox float ctd kashima
rear travel: 155 mm
handlebar width: 755 mm
grips: odi rogue
stem: syntace megaforce 2
saddle: spesh henge
seatpost: ks lev dropper post
wheelset: dt swiss 350 spline one xr xd tubeless
axles: [front] 15mm thru-axle, [rear] 12x142mm thru-axle
tires: [front] spesh butcher, [rear] spesh slaughter

Submitted by noish

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2014

Strengths:    DW Link, lightweight, excellent uphill handling.

Weaknesses:    Flexy rear, fox CTD float x

Bottom Line:
Switched from Ibis Mojo HD to a Pivot Mach 6 this season. Both 650b. While very similar, I have to say that the Ibis rear triangle is significantly stiffer. The Pivot rear is fairly noodley/flexy. Sometimes the rear tire will hit the seat stay on a ride. While both sport the DW link rear suspension, the Pivot is a bit more bobby with pedaling than the Ibis. Maybe its the CTD float X. Descend mode has zero compression dampening, and Trail1-3 offer a dead feeling. I don't know how else to describe it. The shock wallows a bit in the midrange.
I do appreciate the fit of the Pivot. BB height is just right. Steering and uphill handling are great. While I think it's a great bike, these my impressions after coming off a similar bike. In fact, I moved all components and switched only the frame and rear shock. So a pretty even comparison. The 650b trail bike concept is a great idea and a lot of fun.

Please note: I am just a guy who rides for fun and do not get any deals from any of these companies. Yep, I pay retail.

Submitted by DiamonDave a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2014

Strengths:    Super stiff, climbs like a goat, destroys the downs, happy in the air - makes me a better, more confident rider in all situations. I guess you can read that as the bike makes up for my mistakes...

Weaknesses:    Pricey, pricey, pricey... Not S-Works pricey, but still a hefty chunk of change. As others mentioned - the cable routing is pretty rough. Not a single component or ride issue though.

Bottom Line:
I'm a short, fat, bald little man that looks (and probably rides) way more like Danny Devito than Steve Smith, but the Mach6 rips - no questions about it. I'm a better rider on it than on any other bike I've ridden - way faster on the ups, way faster on the downs, and more smooth all around. It always puts a big stupid grin on my face when I'm riding it.

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach6 - Stock XT/XTR set up w/ KS LEV Integra dropper post, Loaded AMXC Grips.

Submitted by Stupordave a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2014

Strengths:    Biggest strength is the tremendous bike control over a variety of terrain. Been riding for 17 years and this is the most versatile bike I've ever ridden. Amazing how plush the ride can be when bombing dhill over rocky/rooty stuff but still climbs very well. It's made me faster on just about every trail I ride while still retaining the fun factor. The Fox 34 and Float X are perfectly matched.

Weaknesses:    As mentioned by others, the cable routing is a bit tricky. Have to remove the shock to change to cables. Put a little Loctite on the rear shock bolt as mine came loose after a few rough rides. Did swap out the front tire for a Nevagal for better traction and the DT Swiss rims took a while to get holding air in tubeless mode. Not much else to complain about.

Bottom Line:
Hands down the best all-mountain bike I've ridden. Has convinced me to sell a few of my other bikes as it's hard to grab any other bike for trail riding. Two thumbs up.

Purchased At:   South Main Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Nomad Carbon (great bike and still own but set-up fairly beefy), Intense Uzzi VP, Nomad Al, Pivot Firebird, Giant Reign

Bike Setup:   Stock XT/XTR build with Lev dropper. Did swap out the stem for a 65mm for more control in the air.

Submitted by mustleaveplanet a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2014

Strengths:    -Amazingly composed on gnarly descents.. Makes up for my vast lack of bike skills!
-Light, Stiff and Quiet
-DW link stays active but still cancels out pedal Bob
-Somehow still climbs surprisingly well despite slack geometry

Weaknesses:    - It's one of the most expensive frames in the category
- Cable routing is messy (in Pivot's defence, there's not many options with the suspension layout)

Bottom Line:
Got this frame just before Xmas and built it up with a set of 160mm Rockshox Pikes up front and 1x10 Shimano XT group set. The finished bike is just over 12kg with pedals!
It pedals very well for a 155mm Travel bike. On the downs it gets better the harder it is pushed with a very forgiving nature. It doesn't charge up hills quite as quickly as a Pivot Mach 5.7 but it's not far off (even with a 66 degree H/A and q60mm forks). In every other situation it's a complete beast and can handle DH work as well as all day trail rides. Amazing machine.

Favorite Trail:   Split Enz, Rotorua, NZ