Norco Sight Carbon 27.5 Full Suspension

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

• Frame: Sight 27.5, Lightweight high modulus carbon frame with 140 mm travel

Submitted by rdub a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2015

Strengths:    Style, ART suspension technology, standover height, good climber, fantastic descender

Weaknesses:    Stock tires are too light duty for my riding style, Formula C1 brakes are under powered

Bottom Line:
I was looking to replace my 2 bikes (2009 SX Trail and 29r hardtail) with a single, do-all rig. My rides are normally a 45-60 minute climb (varying from technical to fire roads) with a variety of technical, rocky descents or fast, flowy trails.

After trying several new 650b bikes, a friend recommended the Sight. I was a little skeptical that it would be enough bike for my riding style, but after seeing him ride, I was confident the Sight would be able to handle it. I demo'd one and bought it.

I was immediately impressed with the design, finish and build. The carbon frame is beautiful and the graphics are low key. The internal cable routing works pretty well so far and changing cables is pretty easy.

Now for the most important thing, the ride. It is awesome at most things. It is a great climber on technical trails and flies up double-track. The ART suspension technology can be a little too active when climbing but settles down when the Monarch rear shock is set to the climbing mode. When pointed downhill, the Sight is insanely fast on flowy trails, steep technical descents are comfortable and it feels great in the air. The only terrain I’ve found that overwhelms the bike is fast, rocky trails (e.g. rough DH tracks). However, once I changed the tires to Maxxis High Roller II 3C Exo it was a huge improvement!

Overall the build is great, but there are a few shortcomings:
- The Formula C1 brakes are not great. They have mediocre modulation, lever design isn’t comfortable and they feel grossly underpowered.
- The Rockshox Revelation RC is not great on fast, rough, rocky trails. The compression dampening isn’t able to handle the chop like the other forks I’ve tried (Fox 34, Lyrik and Pike) but is good on most other terrain.
- The Maxxis Ardent tires are too light weight for burly trails and the single ply is too unstable.

The rest of the build is great. The bars are flat and wide, stem is short, the drivetrain is crisp and effective, the dropper post works well, the saddle is the most comfortable I've ever used and the wheelset is holding up well.

This is an excellent choice for an aggressive trail bike.

Favorite Trail:   SST

Purchased At:   Cross Country Connec

Similar Products Used:   Norco Range 650b, Stumpjumper EVO 650b, Enduro S-Works 650b, Altitude 770, Altitude Rally Edition, Bronson

Bike Setup:   Small size frame, stock components

Submitted by John F

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2015

Strengths:    Climbing ability!
Descending ability - after Pike upgrade!
Frame finish and frame details
XX1 Drivetrain - any 1x11 really!

Weaknesses:    Stock Stans rims are a bit too narrow and flexy for more technical riding.
Stock tires - love the Maxxis Ardent for more XC trials but not meaty and robust enough for technical trail riding.
Stock Ergon grips are not comfortable at all!

Bottom Line:
I got my Sight LE 9 months ago and I've been fortunate enough to have ridden it on all sorts of trails. From fast and flowy XC trails with lots of climbs to steep rocky technical big mountain trails and I continue to be amazed at the Sight's ability to handle anything I throw at it. I've owned several well respected FS XC race bikes and this trail/AM bike (with 160mm up front and 140mm out back) climbs just as well as any of them, I kid you not! 160mm up front?? Yeah I did swap out the Revelation for a Pike, and man the downhills are so much more fun and confidence inspiring with the Pike out front. The Sight really is a bike that can handle most terrain. The XX1 drive train is incredible in it's preciseness, ruggedness, versatility and overall aesthetics. I also love the attention to detail on this bike, right down to the cool 3 piece internal cable ports (with different sizes for shifter and brake cables) to keep water and dirt out of the frame. A stark contrast to some brands which just have a hole in their carbon or alloy frame and a cable running through it.The only component or part I can really complain about is the stock Ergon grips, but then that might be personal. For the riding I like to do (a mix of XC and very technical trails) I wanted a trail bike with a very All Mountain attitude, so the Pike and a set of wider and stiffer rims and tires were a necessary change. If you just want a super fast and crazy light trail bike that can handle most trails, then the stock Sight will not disappoint!

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2014

Strengths:    Great value, well specked stock bike. Very nice curb appeal as well. Climbs very well, descends even better.

Weaknesses:    Only complaint is the nibs that hold the internal cables in place pop out often. And should have come with a better specked cassette.

Bottom Line:
After riding my 30+lb 2009 Altitude 50 for the past five years I decided to upgrade. The Sight carbon turned out to be the answer. Note: I did make some mods; Tubeless wheel set with Hope Pro2 Hubs, Easton carbon bar, Truvative carbon seat post, XT cassette/discs, XTR peddles. Final weight with Mavic Ikon 220/235 tires was just over 26.5lbs. This is the Sight 7 1.5 model.

Right away I noticed how much smother the bike was just coasting on the street in front of my house before my first ride. The bike glided as though I had a never ending tail wind. This was a good sign of things to come. My rides usually start with an hour+ climb. I would say this bike was shaving a few minutes off every hour of climbing I do due to its lighter weight and efficient drive train. I find the Trail mode on my CTD is good for pretty much all of my climbs unless I want to stand and hammer then the Climb mode is good for getting rid of any unwanted compression of the suspension. Even having the shock wide open is quite nice as it really helps on tecky climbs as the rear end just grabs. I find the 27.5 rolls better over obstacles and of coarse running 25lbs in my tires doesn't hurt either.

Once the grunt climb is done this bike shines even brighter on the descent. I couldn't believe how fast this thing is,, once I let go of the break it accelerated at a whole new level,,,,,,,, faster than I have ever experienced before. I had set my sag at approx. 30% and for me was pretty bang on. I found myself able to carry more speed through obstacles, rollers, corners than ever before. I'm still trying to catch up to this bike as far as my ability goes and having a permagrin doing so. So far I'm not finding the 27.5 is reducing my technical ability and just find every time I ride this bike it surprises me with how easily it does what I want it to,,, and for me that's great as I'm no pro. I could go on and on, but I wont. All I can say is this is one great bike and I love this thing, Norco hit this one out of the park.

Favorite Trail:   Half Neilson/ Angry Midget

Duration Product Used:   Two months

Purchased At:   Republic

Similar Products Used:   Norco Bigfoot, Specialized Rock Hopper, Marin, Altitude 50.

Bike Setup:   2014 Norco Sight Carbine 7 1.5, Stans Tubeless hoops with Hope Pro2 Hubs, Easton carbon bar 720mm, Truvative carbon seat post, XT cassette/discs, XTR peddles.

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2014

Strengths:    Build quality, fit, and finish, style and functionality

Weaknesses:    Availability to the public.

Bottom Line:
I got a frame a month or so ago. I can say that the quality of this frame is beyond expectations. Very beautiful fit and finish, and from riding the aluminum version, I'll save 25% on the frame weight alone. Build weight will be in the 27lb range with 1 x 11, and Fox Float 150mm. I'll report back with a full review, but so far so awesome.

Favorite Trail:   Skaggs