Lynskey Performance Designs Pro 650 FS-140 27.5 Full Suspension

The 650b (27.5 inch) wheel platform has quickly gained a cult following because of its optimal balance between a 26" wheel’s surgical trail carving and a 29er's fast rolling, smooth momentum and the Lynskey Pro650 FS-140 is the perfect example of the 650's benefits. It's a pedal stomping, singletrack slaloming, root and rut rolling, bigger hit absorbing and "long day away from the office” wonder. The massive Helix down tube, suspension pivot and horizontally ovalized seatstays create rock solid response. Shimano XT’s drivetrain, shifters and brakes deliver tried and true performance and durability and the highly regarded Stan’s NoTubes ZTR Arch wheels virtually eliminate pinch flats.

Submitted by jamisfoes a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2014

Strengths:    Build quality is outstanding. All the details scream of a high end frame. One of a kind rare bike that you are not likely to come across a bike like yours on the trail.

Weaknesses:    People are going to stop you on the trail asking a bunch of questions about the bike

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in 2014 during a time when carbon bikes are dominating the high end bike market. For the money I spend on this bike, I could have bought a Santa Cruz Bronson or a Pivot Mach 6. But instead of buying a carbon bike, I went against the trend and got a ti bike instead.

I like the fact that Lynskey still makes their ti bikes in house in the US. This can't be said about Santa Cruz and Pivot. Their carbon bikes are made overseas. I want my money supporting US businesses. The fact that a Pro650 FS-140 frame costs about the same amount as a high end carbon frame makes this decision to go US a no brainer.

Initially, I had my reservations about buying this frame. I could not find any reviews on a production frame. The only review I see is a 2012 bikeradar review in which they slammed this bike for it's still in development stage geometry. But I figured the bad review is from 2012 and they've had 2 years to get things right. It turns out my 2014 frame is spot on on the stated geometry. The ride did not disappoint me. The geometry is a blend of cross country and all mountain... perfect for a bike with a 150mm front end and 140mm rear travel. I spec'd mine with a 120mm stem to get more stretched out on the climbs.

The use of the oversized pivot above the crankset eliminated any flex that's the Achilles's heel of ti fullies. Personally I think the Helix downtube is just a cosmetic feature and I don't buy that it adds any stiffness to the ride. The bike feels firm on off the saddle efforts (I weigh 200lbs). The single pivot design is dated however I do not feel much pedal bob especially with the rear shock's climb mode engaged. My other bike has a 160mm travel DW rear suspension design, Pro650's suspension does not feel much worse than my DW bike...with the climb mode engaged that is. Putting it in the downhill mode, the suspension becomes very active and bobing becomes more noticeable. This does not bother me because it can be mitigated by a simple rear shock lever switch.

Another thing I absolutely love about this bike is it's a one of the kind bike. Unlike your run of the mill Treks, Specializeds and Santa Cruzs, people notice this bike right away. The bling factor is further enhanced with the Helix downtube.

Favorite Trail:   South Mountain Phoenix

Similar Products Used:   Pivot Mach5

Bike Setup:   120mm stem, XT 2x10, Rockshock revelation, KS lev

Submitted by Ronin

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2014

Strengths:    Great American build quality, efficient climbing machine, extremely well build, really good feedback.

Weaknesses:    None right now.

Bottom Line:
Ordered the Pro 650 FS-140 full XX1 build with XX brakes in Apr and it arrived a month later. This is a really fast bike, both in the ascend and descend. I love climbing and this build is so easy and efficient in this area even with the 1x11 system (had 32T in front and I didn't lose much gear ratio, was driving a 2x10 system). In the descend, 140mm of travel does it for me. The geometry is well balanced.

To top it off, you get the famed customer service at Lynskey, whom will answer all your queries. Thanks to Don and Michael for making this happen for me. Highly recommend this build-in-USA bike company!