Kona Process 153 27.5 Full Suspension

• Brake Calipers: Shimano Deore
  • Headset: FSA Orbit 1.5 ZS No.57B

Submitted by Keagan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2014

Strengths:    Durable, light weight (I know that's a strong oxymoron) flickable, stable. Really an all around trail killer. I've been thrashing er' pretty hard for the past 6 months or so and it's been holding up like a champ!

Weaknesses:    You'll get a lot of attention from it.

Bottom Line:
I honestly don't think kona could have pumped out a more fun bike. EVERY single time I get back from a ride whether it be a quick lap on galbraith or a day up on whistler this bike leaves me with an infectious smile! I really is a huge confidence inspiring 5.5" travel trail killing whip! It's enabled me to push myself and my riding on it to higher levels and for some strange reason (I actually attribute this to the extremely short chainstays) this bike begs to be twitched, tweaked, whipped and manualed all around the trail, yet if you want it to you can keep it stable and plow through tech like a longer travel bike (this I believe is attributed to the long top tube). But even climbing this thing is soooo efficient! I have my monarch set to about 30% sag when the flood gate is open but as soon as it starts to go up I flip the switch and this thing pedals like a hard tail! And for the price this bike is an absolute steal, YOU WILL NEVER REGRET MAKING THIS PURCHASE!

Favorite Trail:   Any Techy whistler trail

Bike Setup:   process with xtr cranks, raceface cock pit and the rest is stock

Submitted by saltydon a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2014

Strengths:    Very reasonable price in a large field of over priced enduro bikes.Excellent geometry. 27.5 wheels really do make a difference when rolling over roots and rock gardens. The short chain stays and long front end lets you aggressively push the bike through corners rather than the uncomfortable , "just along for the ride" feel you get from taller bikes. Perfect for Squamish trails that require long steep climbs and legendary descents. I almost didn't buy it because of it's weight but it rides like a much lighter bike. Not an issue.

Weaknesses:    KS dropper post with cable control and dirt sucking exposed lever action really does not work. 2nd ride the post sucked air and became a spongy jerky mall pony ride. It went for servicing and I dropped in my 3 year old Reverb which always works. Any body want to buy a nice new KS?

Bottom Line:
Great ride!! Kona is back in the market with an outstanding bike that would sell for twice the money. It is very stiff and robust with large bearings and a broad suspension design. I rode my 2007 Spesh Enduro Expert for 7 years. Nothing excited me enough to justify buying a new bike until the Process DL came along. I will be riding this bike for a very long time. It works equally well for steep technical bashing and fast and flowy joy rides.

Favorite Trail:   Hoods in the Woods

Duration Product Used:   one month

Submitted by AJVW a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2014

Strengths:    Long and low top tube, outstanding price, stiff frame, good looking bike. Maxxis Ardent tires are great. WTB i23 wheels are tubeless ready. Did I mention the price??

Weaknesses:    Wheels needed a few spokes tightened after a few rides. Ho-hum component package. Rear seat-stays stick out a bit and are prone to some shoe contact.

Bottom Line:
Coming off a Santa Cruz Blur LT2 on to the Process, I did not notice a whole lot of difference other than it was heavier, didn't climb as well and had obnoxiously wide handlebars and a low end component build. It wasn't till I got back on a similar cross country bike where I really noticed the night and day differences. To start off, for it's weight, it climbs remarkably well although I do recommend keeping active on the Rock Shox Monarch lockout feature. Great traction on climbs and the front end stays planted even on very steep inclines. It's when the trail goes down where you really feel the standout design of this bike. The slack head tube and 27.5 wheel stick out really far in front of the bars. It takes some getting used to but it allows you to look out further onto the oncoming trail and in your peripheral vision, aim the tire over obstacles, it's really wild. The short stem and wide bars give the bike extraordinary control and the SLX brakes are actually not bad at all. All in all, this bike instills piles of confidence on to anyone who rides it. The SLX setup, although heavier and not as crisp as XT/XTR, I'm sure will last forever and all in all, works very well. For $3,600, this bike is an absolute STEAL! I almost feel bad and want to send Kona another $1,000 for this bike.

Favorite Trail:   El Prieto

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Montrose Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur XC, Santa Cruz Blur LT2

Bike Setup:   Converted to tubeless and an e*13 chain guide installed.

Submitted by kroky

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2013

Strengths:    quick,nimble, amazing suspension. climbs so well for 160mm. feels like a mini downhill when descending

Bottom Line:
finally got to give the bike a good bit of trail time so here is my review.
ive owned a lapierre spicy 916 and a ginat trance x4 and this blows them both out of the water. its the best bike i have ever ridden. it climbs amazingly well, the 27.5 wheels really help when grinding over rocks and the suspension just glues you to the trail. pedalling on flat is also excellent, again 27.5 wheels really help here and help maintain momentum. its descending tough that really blew me away. on one trail that i have done numerous times (a narrow loose rock steep chute) i would usually feel alot of chatter and the bike would be a little hard to control. with the pike on this thing it was amazing and controlled. something i can say about the bike in general actually. it feels poised and controlled in every siuation. this lead me to believe i was invincible, and thats when i got too cocky and crashed. breaking my new sram x7 derailer in the process! that was my fault though not the bike. the pike is the best fork i have ever used by a mile. bottomless yet stiff and plush,just the perfect fork. as good and stable as it was in high speed descents,it was equally impressive in narrow tight twisty switchback sections and flowy natural singletrack. the extremely low standover lets you get right over the bike,i have never got so low! the back end just whips around corners and feels nice and stiff .it can do it all,from flowy xc to gravity enduro(where it will excel) to gnarly downhill. i cannot rate this bike highly enough and am really excited by how much this bike can improve me as a rider. kona have knocked it clean out of the park with this one. 10/10 buy it!!!

Submitted by Tink a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2013

Strengths:    Great handling on the ground and in the air. Smart spec build. Dialed geometry.

Weaknesses:    None, especially at this price.

Bottom Line:
"Playful" is the best word to describe this bike. It is the most fun bike I have owned. The combination of short (16.7") chainstays, long top tube (24.8"), stubby stem (40mm), 68 degree head angle, and of course, 27.5" wheels all contribute to the way this bike dances down the trail. Kona got this bike right! It descends faster and, according to Strava, is just as quick uphill than my Yeti 575. The 5.25" rear travel feels more like 6.5" with the beefy rear triangle and Monarch RT rear shocks progressiveness. The Rockshox Revelation RL solo air 140 forks are stiff and supple. I've ridden Fox suspension for the last 9 years but the new Rockshox equipment is just as good so far. Point and shoot this bike at speed and it will save you if you mess up. I've always been impressed with Shimano SLX components. They are reliable and easily replaceable. The 760mm Kona bars are a bit heavy and a little wide for me. They will probably get swapped out to save some weight. The components are well thought out to keep the price down without sacrificing performance. I will gladly accept the 31.5 lbs weight at this price and the sake of durability. I've had this bike less than a month but all I can think about is riding it. It is a true love affair.

Favorite Trail:   Brown Mtn / El Prieto

Purchased At:   Montrose Bike Shop,

Similar Products Used:   This is unlike any bike I have ridden. For me it best compares to the Pivot Firebird (awesome bike). I have owned an 09 Yeti 575, 04 Titus Switchblade, and 01 GT iDrive. I have demo'd many bikes from full rigid 29ers to 8" travel downhillers.

Bike Setup:   SLX/XT drivetrain. Rockshox Revelation RL solo air forks, Rockshox Monarch RT shock. Maxxis Ardent tires.