KHS SixFifty 6500 27.5 Full Suspension

• Avid Elixir 5 Hydraulic brakes 160mm rotors

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Nurse Ben a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2014

Strengths:    Price, Quality, Performance

Weaknesses:    Factory specs are good, but a shorter stem, wider bars, a smaller chainring (30t), and a longer travel fork really make it shine

Bottom Line:
    I purchased the KHS 6500 as my first FS bike after years of riding 29er rigids and mountain unis. I wanted a bike that reminded me of my Kona Honzo (downhill stable and playful), but more agile at low speeds, a better climber, and having some cush in the back end to keep the wheel in contact with the ground. I chose a 27.5 for all the reasons we know well ;)

The KHS 6500 falls into the new frame paradigm: long TT, slack HA, and short stem; though it comes with a long stem (scratched my head on that one).

I tried many bikes from all the big names and in the end I found that the KHS rode as well as the best of them and better than most. What sold me on the KHS 6500 was the overall fit and finish, the excellent XO1 group, and the willingness of my LBS to upgrade the fork to a 150mm Pike. The fork came from a Troy :)

The KHS in factory form with the 140mm Revelation feels like an XC bike with a lot of travel, so a tad twitchy on the downs at speed, not quite an enduro and not quite an XC. In factory form I'd give it four thumbs up. By upgrading to a 150mm Pike, changing the gearing, and adjusting the fit (stem and bars), I got a slightly more slack front end, an additional 10mm of travel, a super plush ride, and a balance of performance.

With the fork upgrade, 740mm bars, and a 45mm stem, the KHS 6500 is a great all around bike for fast downhills, technical riding, rough terrain, gettiing air, and it doesn't compromise on climbing. Granted, KHS is not a big name on the retail side, but the price is also not refelctive of a big name; and honestly it is not rocket science to design a decent bike.

KHS designs bikes for Specialized, so they know what they are doing, but being more of a manufacturer to the manufactureers, they are able to produce a bike with good geometry, a solid parts group, and sell it for thousands less than the competition. If you can overcome the "non main brand" bias, this is a great ride.

If you want a less expensive entre into the 27.5 FS world, take a look at the KHS 5500 which sports a 2 x 10 drivetrain and X Fusion suspension, it's a real bargain and it shares the frame with the 6500.

Favorite Trail:   Technical downs, long climbs

Duration Product Used:   three months

Purchased At:   Ridge Cycles, Wenatc

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpy FSR 26, Kona Honzo, Redline Monocog, munis, tandems

Bike Setup:   X01 1x11 (30-42), 150mm Pike, 140mm Fox shock (stock), HansDampf 2.4's, 740mm bars, 45mm stem

Submitted by Drew Blackstone a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2014

Strengths:    Fast, efficient, climbs amazing, descends great, gives you a ton of confidence, very capable bike.

Weaknesses:    Avid brakes. If you buy this bike replace these brakes immediately with some shimano xt ice techs. I have had many problems with these AVIDS

Bottom Line:
    Overall this bike is great. I love this bikes ability to fly on hardcore xc courses but it also will feel right at home at highland, whistler or your favorite downhill course and you can just ride back up and come down again. This bike is the best all round bike for New England trails. I came in third overall in Maine High School mountain bike series Jv with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Bond Brook in Augusta, Maine

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Toms Bike Boutique,

Submitted by DenVen a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs and handles good. Decents are fun. Great overall -All Mtn bike.

Weaknesses:    Rear tire is awful and was replaced, did not come with tubeless already setup. Has a really low BB which is great for handling but is prone to hit rocks at times.

Bottom Line:
    Great overall bike. Climbs well, handles like a 26er, decends great. I have had this bike for 6 months. Ridden on trails about 30 times. The lock out is great for climbing. You can ride on open, half, or full lockout. Very little bobbing in half lockout.
    Components are full SRAM and are solid. 2x10 is the way to go. Looking for a 27.5? This is a good bike for the $. Besides the rear tire, I've had no mechanical issues.

Favorite Trail:   Not tellin

Duration Product Used:   6 mos

Purchased At:   Mojo Wheels-Denver

Bike Setup:   I have SRAM X-O gripshift but the rest is stock.

KHS Sixfifty 6500 what IF I put a 150mm fork

It comes with a Rockshox Revelation RLT 140mm the headset angle is 68.5 and the BB height 13.3 so what will it happen if I swap that fork for lets say a 150mm PIKE instead or a Manitou Mattoc how is that going to affect the geometry? I know it will make my headset slacker by probably like .5 of a de ... Read More »

KHS Sixfifty 6500?

So I've been on 29ers for the past 4 or 5 years.... I went to a hardtail 29er from a FS 26", and I'm getting that "time for a change" feeling... based on my experience on both extremes, and riding style, I'm really leaning towards a full suspension 650 for my next bike. I was reading what I coul ... Read More »

Details on new KHS SixFifty 6500

Has anyone found anymore details on the KHS SixFifty 6500 and their other new Full-sus Bers that they've got coming out? [url=http://reviews.mtbr.com/khs-interbike-booth]KHS Interbike Booth | Mountain Bike Review[/url] Seems like a screaming deal components wise. If frame stiffness is good an ... Read More »