KHS SixFifty 3500 27.5 Full Suspension

• Rims: WTB Speed Disc l19, 650B
  • Chain: SRAM PC-1051

Submitted by Leighton Rockafellow a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2014

Strengths:    Value - this bike gives you so much for so little.

Weaknesses:    Heavy - like any cheaper bike - you pay with weight

Bottom Line:
I picked this up in July 2014. It appears that KHS built too many 650b bikes in 2013 because my LBS was able to order a 2013 from KHS for a really low price and pass the savings on to me ($800 off MSRP). This is a really versatile bike. It will do everything well - nothing great. It is nimble, supple, and a good climber. As a person who only wants one MTB in his stable, I am very happy with my choice. For the money, I don't think you can do better than a KHS full suspension. As for the tire size. 27.5 might be a fad. The difference between it and a 26 inch are subtle. I have never liked the clumsiness of a 29er when doing technical uphill. I always felt like I didn't have the precision control of the 26 inch. While this could be a matter of the specific frame I was riding, the fact is, I don't have that problem with the 27.5. It's a great compromise.

It's a very heavy bike which makes it a bit slower. Upgrades can always help this problem. The low-end hydraulic brakes work well for now. We'll see how they do with longevity. If value and versatility are your objectives, this is a good bet.

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island, Tucson, AZ