KHS SixFifty 3500 27.5 Full Suspension

• Rims: WTB Speed Disc l19, 650B
  • Chain: SRAM PC-1051

Submitted by Big dude a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2015

Strengths:    Strong and steardy built with good components!

Weaknesses:    Does squeak and creak from various areas, seat post, crank, rear suspension.

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for over 2 years now and typically get acouple rides in a week. I live in Arizona so our trails can get rough and dusty to say the least. I'm 5'11" and 230lbs! I've only had to do regular maintenance if that! I think I have had the bike adjusted once since i've owned it. My buddy has a cannon dale scapel 29er and we pretty much have the same components. I love the color and that not to many KHS bikes are around in my area. At the time I bought it the 650b craze was just starting. KHS had already been in the game of 27.5 for a while and they where affordable. I too came across this bike as a close out demo model! If you can stand not riding a big name bike like Trek or cannondale. KHS is a very respectable company and I have been very happy with the quality and build of the bike. You have to keep on top of the moans and groans of the bike tighten bolts grease when needed but other than that a pretty reliable bike! I owned a 29er first before I bought this! I will never go back to a 29er, 650b are to much fun!

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2015

Strengths:    27.5 wheels, 120mm front and rear, 69.5 head angle, looks good, leftover model was discounted, so affordable.

Weaknesses:    weighs 30 lbs, geared a little too high. suspension not Fox

Bottom Line:
Nice bike for the money. 30 lbs ready to ride. squeaky noise from rear area was from fasteners loosening. Blue locktite fixed problem. Fairly quick handling. Rock shock/x-fusion not as good as Fox. This review for 2013 model.

Duration Product Used:   still in use

Purchased At:   Certified Bikes, Pay

Bike Setup:   70mm stem, XT shadow +, wtb pro gel saddle, cut seat post 1.5 inch, installed 22-36 front chainrings, SLX shifters.

Submitted by Leighton Rockafellow a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2014

Strengths:    Value - this bike gives you so much for so little.

Weaknesses:    Heavy - like any cheaper bike - you pay with weight

Bottom Line:
I picked this up in July 2014. It appears that KHS built too many 650b bikes in 2013 because my LBS was able to order a 2013 from KHS for a really low price and pass the savings on to me ($800 off MSRP). This is a really versatile bike. It will do everything well - nothing great. It is nimble, supple, and a good climber. As a person who only wants one MTB in his stable, I am very happy with my choice. For the money, I don't think you can do better than a KHS full suspension. As for the tire size. 27.5 might be a fad. The difference between it and a 26 inch are subtle. I have never liked the clumsiness of a 29er when doing technical uphill. I always felt like I didn't have the precision control of the 26 inch. While this could be a matter of the specific frame I was riding, the fact is, I don't have that problem with the 27.5. It's a great compromise.

It's a very heavy bike which makes it a bit slower. Upgrades can always help this problem. The low-end hydraulic brakes work well for now. We'll see how they do with longevity. If value and versatility are your objectives, this is a good bet.

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island, Tucson, AZ