Jamis Dakar Sixfifty B2 27.5 Full Suspension

3.88/5 (8 Reviews)

• Fork: White Brothers Fluid 650B-130 with 20mm front axle
  • Headset: FSA ZS3, semi-integrated with 20mm shim stack, 1 1/8”
  • Tires: Kenda Nevegal 650B x 2.35 front, 2.1 rear, folding
  • Chain: Sram PowerChain 971 with Gold Power-Link
  • Cassette: Sram PowerGlide 950 , 9-speed, 11-34

Submitted by Ty a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2013

Strengths:    Rides great

Weaknesses:    Delicate frame. Cracks at welds. Jamis Warranty department leaves much to be desired.

Bottom Line:
Owned the bike for 2 years now and have enjoyed riding it when it wasn't broken. Have heard of others with chainstay problems so I know I'm not alone.

I am on my third chainstay; the first one broke in less than a month at a weld and the second started to crack in the same spot after a year. The shock link on one side also cracked after about a year. Now the top-tube has come loose from the head-tube and has broken on the weld (however no other damage).

Obviously these parts have been a problem as Jamis has redesigned the 2013 model. I wouldn't recommend the early models what so ever.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Similar Products Used:   GaryFisher Sugar, Giant NRS

Submitted by kim a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2013

Strengths:    manuverability, excellent components, great fit.

Weaknesses:    Heavy! With the full suspension, weight comes with it. Also the heavier front end with the through bolt on front wheel.

Bottom Line:
I dumped the Joplin seat post. It took some time to get the suspension adjustments, but finally got it dialed in. Added Stans tubeless and beautiful White Industries hubs. Great ride.

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Submitted by aaroncodling a All Mountain Rider from Burlington VT

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    Nice lightweight frame. Plush Travel. Climbs like a champ. Descends even better.

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet

Bottom Line:
The Jamis is a great build and at the super deal I got on the frame....I WIN!!!
Super stoked. This will be my all mtn ride, xc ride, creeper ride, etc..
Maybe some day I will mount 650s on it but for now this is a super fun setup.

Favorite Trail:   East Montpelier Trails

Purchased At:   sixfifty.com

Bike Setup:   I purchased the frame and shock then built it up with my 26" wheels( I know...."but it is a 650") a 1x9 drive system. Solid rear axle with custom Mavic wheels.

Don't be afraid to run 26ers on this frame

Submitted by winsail a Cross Country Rider from Soquel

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Strengths:    Fantastic climbing and roll over, Plush downhill ride

Weaknesses:    Paint job could be more robust

Bottom Line:
I built this new frame up from scratch. Fantastic Bike, It climbs nearly as good as my Trance X in rear but front stays on the ground better up steep hills and rollover is superior. Downhill this bike is extra plush and it maneuvers like my 26ers. RP23 really helps for uphill. I would buy another or recommend to friend. If you're sitting on the fence about 650b don't. These bikes can be had on e-bay for substantial savings. You won't be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Enchanted Loop

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 650b, In 26er Giant Trance X, Giant Trance, KHS All Mountain 2000, Rocky Mountain Slayer

Bike Setup:   2010 Jamis 650b frame, 2010 Fox rp23 rear shock, 2010 Fox Float R 15mm Thru axle fork, Rear Velocity Blunt SL laced to a WTB laserlite Super duty 12mm x 135mm. Front Stans 355 laced to a Giant 15mm hub. XT drive train, SRAM PC991 chain, Salsa Pro Moto Bars, FSAOS99 Stem, Kenda Nevegals

Submitted by bmxpimp a Cross Country Rider from ocean beach

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2011

Strengths:    bike is fast on single track, climbs great for all that travel. This bike is the best all around machine I have ever owned do it all bike. The 650 b just makes since for me at 5'10. The XO 2x10 is awesome, took off joplin not for me.First bike in a long time that I didnt change anything out of the box.

Weaknesses:    being a 650 tire choice is limited, but getting better.

Bottom Line:
love this bike!! nothing like the 2010 model this bike rips it up

Favorite Trail:   pine knot

Similar Products Used:   intense 5.5,pivot firebird, titus eleven 650b

Bike Setup:   xo complete, WB loop, american classic wheelset,pacenti neo motos, wtb silverado ritchey cockpit.

Submitted by Dunny a Downhiller from Easton, PA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2011

Strengths:    Yes, it rolls easier than a 26". Parts pick is top of the line.

Weaknesses:    Parts availability even in Moab, Durango and Crested Butte. White Bros fork seal blew out on 4th ride leaving me to rent many times on an already expensive trip. Suspension is not as plush as I'd hoped. I should've test ridden it.

Bottom Line:
Be ready to rent a bike on vacation should anything go wrong with the 650B specific parts because you won't find a shop supplied with what you'd need. The bike is a great XC bike. Maybe the White Bros fork coward at how I rode it on Porcupine Rim. I should have gotten a 6" All Mountain bike w/26" wheels. The bike rides great. Just don't break it.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Cycle Fitters

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign, Kona Tanuki

Bike Setup:   stock Sram XO, Avid Elixir

Submitted by Kings Street a Cross Country Rider from Nipomo Ca.USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2011

Bottom Line:
I've been intrigued with the 650b since I heard about it. Ireally liked the design of the 2011 Jamis Dakar B2. Did my first ride today, I ride alot of sand, this thing climbs & descends in sand so good, I feel like I,m cheating. I immedietly felt comfortable& confident. The rear suspension with the new rock shox Monarch , no bobbing, super smooth. The White Bros. Loop worked great also, the damping adjusters don't feel smooth, but they do work. Hopefully The 2011 Joplin seatpost included with the B2 is more reliable than previous models

Favorite Trail:   Whaleseye

Purchased At:   Wallys bicycle works

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Truth, last 10 yrs.

Bike Setup:   White Bros Loop, Sram XO 2x10, XO braking& shifting.

Submitted by thinman a Cross Country Rider from Nor Cal

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2010

Strengths:    Fantastic spec. Everything worked as it should(well almost).
I liked the 650b wheel for the extra roll over without the frame compromises of some 29ers.

Weaknesses:    The Joplin seatpost is the only thing I would change on this bike. I found the nose of the saddle tipped up during climbs--repeatedly.

Bottom Line:
I rode this bike on the North Umpqua, Duthie Park outside Seattle and in Bend Oregon. It performed very well in all these venues. Good on the climbs and almost too confidence inspiring on descents. I was much faster than on my 29er hardtail. The suspension and wheel size work together well to make a nimble bike on the technical(top end of the Umpqua trail) and super fast in the single track descents (Funner and Phil's Trail in Bend). I felt seated 'in' the bike and very comfortable. As an XC rider I am typical stuck to the ground but found myself repeatedly enjoying the jumps at Duthie(the smallish ones up to 2 feet)due to the slack head angle and 5 inches of travel. This one is worth a ride if your in the market for a good 'do most of it' bike. Again the only weakness I found in this bike is the seatpost.

Favorite Trail:   funner

Similar Products Used:   SC Blur.

Bike Setup:   stock but for WTB Wolverine tires.