Jamis Dakar AMT 27.5 Full Suspension

4.31/5 (13 Reviews)

• Frame: Triple-butted 7005 aluminum, 150mm travel mp4 suspension, cartridge bearing pivots, 1.5 - 1 1/8" tapered head tube, asymmetrical chainstays,12x142mm thru-axle, dropper post routing, ISCG05 chainguide mounts

Submitted by winsail a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2013

Strengths:    Rides great, super plush downhill, Strong but light, Rear axle standard is a nice upgrade

Weaknesses:    None really if you have a platform rear shock or lock out for long climbs

Bottom Line:
This was a warranty replacement frame for my 2010 650b2 (chain stay welds), It has all the great attributes of my earlier bike with a much beefier rear triangle. It also climbs better. I have been riding it about 2-3 months now and about 400+ miles.
I still love the way it feels on every ride and have told my friends to buy one.

Favorite Trail:   Enchanted loop

Duration Product Used:   2-3 months

Purchased At:   Jamis

Similar Products Used:   Jamis 650b2 2010

Bike Setup:   Custom with Fox Talas 110-140, Fox Rp2, XT build

Submitted by Ty a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2013

Strengths:    Rides great

Weaknesses:    Delicate frame. Cracks at welds. Jamis Warranty department leaves much to be desired.

Bottom Line:
Owned the bike for 2 years now and have enjoyed riding it when it wasn't broken. Have heard of others with chainstay problems so I know I'm not alone.

I am on my third chainstay; the first one broke in less than a month at a weld and the second started to crack in the same spot after a year. The shock link on one side also cracked after about a year. Now the top-tube has come loose from the head-tube and has broken on the weld (however no other damage).

Obviously these parts have been a problem as Jamis has redesigned the 2013 model. I wouldn't recommend the early models what so ever.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Similar Products Used:   GaryFisher Sugar, Giant NRS

Submitted by Serfo a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2013

Strengths:    This bike is fast and handles great.

Weaknesses:    Avid Elixir 3, Monarch R

Bottom Line:
This is my first dual suspension bike, for me it drives great, the price was unlivable, the X-fusion Velvet works great with a notable 130mm travel. I have the 2 flavors a 29er hardtail an this 27.5 dual suspension, totally different bikes, for totally different terrains. This 27.5 eat dirt like and angry monster, and leap over mountain like a goat.

Duration Product Used:   100 miles

Purchased At:   http://bikelifepr.co

Similar Products Used:   Scott Genius 740

Bike Setup:   Stock, only Crank Brothers Mallet 1

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2013

Strengths:    Great for aggressive trail riding and light all-mountain riding.

Weaknesses:    After a weekend of abuse, the only thing I noticed were a few scratches in the paint. Not an issue for me as I like my ride with battle scars but others seem to mention paint so just an fyi.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding Jamis now for 10 years and I have never been disapointed. I have been reluctant to move from a 26 to a 29er so after speaking with my local shop I decided to give 650b's a whril. I have not bought this bike, just demoed it for a weekend and with the knowledge that Jamis is greatly expanding their 650b lineup for 2014 I will wait until next season before buying my FS rig. I did however by a left over Nemesis and both bikes a simply amazing. The only thing that I would change on the Comp are the tires. This is not a weakness, just a preference. The stock Racing Ralphs just don't cut it here in Northern New England with wet, muddy, rocky, and rooty conditions. The geometry is perfect. I rode a 19. I am 5'11 and 238 lbs and in the technical stuff the bike handled like it was my old 17. Bottom line, if you have not yet tried one, get on one. I will be tearing up my favorite trails on my Nemesis and can't wait until the 2014's come out.

Favorite Trail:   Beer can.

Duration Product Used:   1 weekend

Purchased At:   Pedal Power Portsmou

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar, Jamis Nemesis, Rocky Mountain

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by kim a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2013

Strengths:    manuverability, excellent components, great fit.

Weaknesses:    Heavy! With the full suspension, weight comes with it. Also the heavier front end with the through bolt on front wheel.

Bottom Line:
I dumped the Joplin seat post. It took some time to get the suspension adjustments, but finally got it dialed in. Added Stans tubeless and beautiful White Industries hubs. Great ride.

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Submitted by bicycle beel a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2012

Strengths:    XO gruppo is awesome.
Confidence inspiring braking, although a little chattery during break in period.
Clean lines, not too much advertising on the frame.
Compliant and capable. Really fun to ride.
650B is easy to adjust to. No pedal toe interference on front wheel. Good roll over feeling.
Solid cornering, good acceleration, comfortable geometry, precise steering.
Natural feeling suspension soaks up bumps and swoops in and out of corners.

Weaknesses:    Top tube upward curve crowds the stand over height and catches the brake levers when the handlebars are fully turned. My top tube now has multiple scratches from this.
White Bros fork has slight sag when i pull up on the handlebars.
i spin out on fast descents with the stock 2x10 gear ratio.
Ritchey logos/tags are annoying
wish there were fender mounts on frame and fork
650B tire options are non existent in my LBS

Bottom Line:
650B wheel size works just fine. the long travel suspension places me higher above the ground than i am used to, so i added an after market dropper seatpost to help lower my center of gravity on technical descents and increase my confidence.
i'm lovin' my new bike and have been motivated to ride almost every day. i will update this review after 6 months of use.

Favorite Trail:   Arcata Community Forest

Duration Product Used:   1 month review

Bike Setup:   White Brothers Loop Fork TCR 650B with 15mm front axle, 130mm travel
American Classic 650B XC disc wheels, AC 15mm thru-axle front and AC225 12 x 135mm thru-axle rear.
Kenda Nevegal Tyres, 650B x 2.1" front & 2.35" rear, folding
Shift Levers SRAM XO with Matchmaker clamp, 10-speed
Derailleurs SRAM XO mid-cage rear and X9 34.9mm top pull front
Crank SRAM XO, 39/26, 170MM (15"), 175MM (17-21")
Chain SRAM PC-1071, 10 speed
Cassette SRAM PG-1070 , 10-speed, 12-36
Bottom Bracket SRAM XO integrated
Seat/Saddle WTB Volt Race, Satin rails
Seatpost Ritchey Pro 2B OS, 31.6 x 400mm, with alloy clamp & cromo seatpin
Handlebar Ritchey Pro Rizer, 670MM x 20mm rise x 31.8mm
Stem Ritchey Pro 4-Axis 44, 6¼ rise x 90mm (15"), 100mm (17"), 110mm (19"), 120mm (21")
Headset FSA Orbit 1.5"
Brake Avid XO hydraulic disc
Specalized dropper seatpost

Submitted by aaroncodling a All Mountain Rider from Burlington VT

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    Nice lightweight frame. Plush Travel. Climbs like a champ. Descends even better.

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet

Bottom Line:
The Jamis is a great build and at the super deal I got on the frame....I WIN!!!
Super stoked. This will be my all mtn ride, xc ride, creeper ride, etc..
Maybe some day I will mount 650s on it but for now this is a super fun setup.

Favorite Trail:   East Montpelier Trails

Purchased At:   sixfifty.com

Bike Setup:   I purchased the frame and shock then built it up with my 26" wheels( I know...."but it is a 650") a 1x9 drive system. Solid rear axle with custom Mavic wheels.

Don't be afraid to run 26ers on this frame

Submitted by winsail a Cross Country Rider from Soquel

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Strengths:    Fantastic climbing and roll over, Plush downhill ride

Weaknesses:    Paint job could be more robust

Bottom Line:
I built this new frame up from scratch. Fantastic Bike, It climbs nearly as good as my Trance X in rear but front stays on the ground better up steep hills and rollover is superior. Downhill this bike is extra plush and it maneuvers like my 26ers. RP23 really helps for uphill. I would buy another or recommend to friend. If you're sitting on the fence about 650b don't. These bikes can be had on e-bay for substantial savings. You won't be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Enchanted Loop

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 650b, In 26er Giant Trance X, Giant Trance, KHS All Mountain 2000, Rocky Mountain Slayer

Bike Setup:   2010 Jamis 650b frame, 2010 Fox rp23 rear shock, 2010 Fox Float R 15mm Thru axle fork, Rear Velocity Blunt SL laced to a WTB laserlite Super duty 12mm x 135mm. Front Stans 355 laced to a Giant 15mm hub. XT drive train, SRAM PC991 chain, Salsa Pro Moto Bars, FSAOS99 Stem, Kenda Nevegals

Submitted by bmxpimp a Cross Country Rider from ocean beach

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2011

Strengths:    bike is fast on single track, climbs great for all that travel. This bike is the best all around machine I have ever owned do it all bike. The 650 b just makes since for me at 5'10. The XO 2x10 is awesome, took off joplin not for me.First bike in a long time that I didnt change anything out of the box.

Weaknesses:    being a 650 tire choice is limited, but getting better.

Bottom Line:
love this bike!! nothing like the 2010 model this bike rips it up

Favorite Trail:   pine knot

Similar Products Used:   intense 5.5,pivot firebird, titus eleven 650b

Bike Setup:   xo complete, WB loop, american classic wheelset,pacenti neo motos, wtb silverado ritchey cockpit.

Submitted by Dunny a Downhiller from Easton, PA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2011

Strengths:    Yes, it rolls easier than a 26". Parts pick is top of the line.

Weaknesses:    Parts availability even in Moab, Durango and Crested Butte. White Bros fork seal blew out on 4th ride leaving me to rent many times on an already expensive trip. Suspension is not as plush as I'd hoped. I should've test ridden it.

Bottom Line:
Be ready to rent a bike on vacation should anything go wrong with the 650B specific parts because you won't find a shop supplied with what you'd need. The bike is a great XC bike. Maybe the White Bros fork coward at how I rode it on Porcupine Rim. I should have gotten a 6" All Mountain bike w/26" wheels. The bike rides great. Just don't break it.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Cycle Fitters

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign, Kona Tanuki

Bike Setup:   stock Sram XO, Avid Elixir

Submitted by Kings Street a Cross Country Rider from Nipomo Ca.USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2011

Bottom Line:
I've been intrigued with the 650b since I heard about it. Ireally liked the design of the 2011 Jamis Dakar B2. Did my first ride today, I ride alot of sand, this thing climbs & descends in sand so good, I feel like I,m cheating. I immedietly felt comfortable& confident. The rear suspension with the new rock shox Monarch , no bobbing, super smooth. The White Bros. Loop worked great also, the damping adjusters don't feel smooth, but they do work. Hopefully The 2011 Joplin seatpost included with the B2 is more reliable than previous models

Favorite Trail:   Whaleseye

Purchased At:   Wallys bicycle works

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Truth, last 10 yrs.

Bike Setup:   White Bros Loop, Sram XO 2x10, XO braking& shifting.

Submitted by thinman a Cross Country Rider from Nor Cal

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2010

Strengths:    Fantastic spec. Everything worked as it should(well almost).
I liked the 650b wheel for the extra roll over without the frame compromises of some 29ers.

Weaknesses:    The Joplin seatpost is the only thing I would change on this bike. I found the nose of the saddle tipped up during climbs--repeatedly.

Bottom Line:
I rode this bike on the North Umpqua, Duthie Park outside Seattle and in Bend Oregon. It performed very well in all these venues. Good on the climbs and almost too confidence inspiring on descents. I was much faster than on my 29er hardtail. The suspension and wheel size work together well to make a nimble bike on the technical(top end of the Umpqua trail) and super fast in the single track descents (Funner and Phil's Trail in Bend). I felt seated 'in' the bike and very comfortable. As an XC rider I am typical stuck to the ground but found myself repeatedly enjoying the jumps at Duthie(the smallish ones up to 2 feet)due to the slack head angle and 5 inches of travel. This one is worth a ride if your in the market for a good 'do most of it' bike. Again the only weakness I found in this bike is the seatpost.

Favorite Trail:   funner

Similar Products Used:   SC Blur.

Bike Setup:   stock but for WTB Wolverine tires.

Submitted by E' a Racer from Canaan, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2010

Strengths:    The bike pedals great for a 29lbs. fully. It's solid and is a true trail bike

Weaknesses:    none as of yet, although the set-up would benefit from lock-outs on the fork and rear shock.

Bottom Line:
This 650b concept makes alot of sence. I coudln't see the need for a 29er fully. The 650b climbs great and decends just as well. I am able to middle ring this bike up some of the steepest and techincal climbs here in New England. Granted I race SS cat-1 and enjoy the cahallenge but the entire concept is perfect for the trails by me that I can't ride on the SS. This is not a cross country rig but on the flats and moderate up and downs I'm in the big ring haulin. The suspension platform works good once the shock is dialed in. Totaly give the 650b a chance for a fully. 29er makes sence for SS but 650 fully makes sence in its own regard. Jamis did a top notch job.

Favorite Trail:   All of-um

Purchased At:   EMS

Similar Products Used:   none, I typically race and ride multiple brands of 29er single speeds with rigid set-up

Bike Setup:   Stock from Jamis

2012 Dakar AMT

I'm looking into a 2012 AMT and wondering if the standover really as bad as the geo chart says? M (17") = 31.65 L (19") = 32.32 I currently ride an '05 cannondale prophet (19") and wouldn't want to increase my current standover of 29.5". This seems to be about the "normal" standover for ... Read More »

Jamis Dakar AMT Mountain Bike 2012 for first MTB ?

Hello all, I am very new to MTBiking. I have not ridden in the last 10 years but I believe I will enjoy riding in the wilderness. I will be riding in the local trails in Maryland and North Carolina. Nothing aggressive as my 30 + year old back can't handle all that stress. I read through a lot of po ... Read More »

Does anyone ride a Dakar AMT?

I just ordered a 2012 Dakar AMT on Jenson, with the current 10% discount the price was too good to pass up. I don't see much info or talk about this bike, anyone else on here ride one? [url=http://www.jensonusa.com/Jamis-Dakar-AMT-Mountain-Bike-2012]Jamis Dakar AMT Mountain Bike 2012 > Complete B ... Read More »

Jamis Dakar XCT 650 race or Jamis Dakar 650 AMT

Hey guys as you know its tax season and its time to roll in a new rig. I am split between the trail over the AMT. My pros of the XCT are its lighter and it has the carbon frame in which I have never ridden much. Cons it has Sram components with avid brakes... Avid makes quality parts I have just nev ... Read More »

Jamis Dakar AMT

I can't find any reviews in the 2012 Janis Dakar AMT 26er and was wondering anyone here has one. Looking for opinions on how the geometry handles and how well the suspension works. [url]http://bikereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2012-jamis-mountain-bikes-3.jpg[/url]Read More »