Intense Tracer T275 Carbon 27.5 Full Suspension

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

The Tracer T275 carbon marks the next step for Intense in its continued campaign to lead and elevate design and innovation for the sport’s Enduro segment. The new bike embodies the perfect balance of beauty and aggression while delivering an unprecedented ride quality.

The carbon monocoque construction combines a solid one-piece front triangle while the new geometry features a slacker headangle, lower bottom bracket and shorter chainstays. Integrated 142 X 12 dropouts mean fewer parts and offer a simpler approach and more pure design. Also noteworthy is a new internally-guided cable routing system that allows for flawless assembly and easier maintenance.

But most impressive is the ride. Toss a leg over one and see for yourself.

Submitted by ymi5150?

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2014

Strengths:    Climbability, downhill stability, handling, cockpit position, trail appeal

Weaknesses:    mediocre bottom bracket selection and no upgrade currently available

Bottom Line:
Unbelievable bike. tested S/C Tallboy LTC, Trek 9.x, Carbine 29, Bronson, Stumpjumper FSR and there was something unique about this bike that is difficult to explain. Maybe intuitive is the right word. any condition - up, down sideways, in the air, loose terrain, and its ready to rock n roll. reminds me of my old M3. perfectly balanced and makes average drivers excellent. not temperamental and squirrelly like a Turbo 911.
I was looking for a F/S bike that could climb very efficiently with a more upright down hill cockpit position. This nailed it.
Pricey and rare on the used market. Keep your eyes peeled and jump on one if you see it.

Submitted by Anthony

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2014

Strengths:    This bike is truly a downhill a formula one,moto gp star!! especially when u step on the gas,the bike seems come Into its own comfort zone.

Weaknesses:    I'm sure there's something....just haven't found it yet ;)

Bottom Line:
I'm not a "review"kind of rider, so I truly don't know how so many can write such specific details about what is happening while their Mtb riding? but I can try tell you the overall feeling I get while riding this intense fantasy. In my opinion most current up to date high-end Mtbikes climb relatively similar as long as your component set up is comparable. Where you truly can notice a difference on this t275 intense is when you point it down and let it go.....my particular bike is set up with a pike in the front and a fox rear shock simply because I ride with a Bottle water set up,which btw you can do on this bike always nice to have options . The bike feels like your in a slow motion go pro clip, even though your at full speed, the bottom line is an incredibly controlled rocket ship :)

Submitted by RadsRider a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2014

Strengths:    Stiff, light, best geometry and suspension I've had on a trail bike by far.

Weaknesses:    Could use more lube and loctite on assembly. Not a problem, though, easily sussed out. All good now.

Bottom Line:
I've been on an Ibis HD with Fox 36 VAN for 3 1/2 years and I loved every moment on that bike. It was the king and it would take a lot to dethrone that bike. Well, the Intense has challenged and won.

The Tracer T275 is so refined that my overall riding experience is truly elevated. I agree with most of Dodger's comments (with the exception of the climbing characteristics) but the geometry is exactly what I need. Once I traded the 740mm bars for 780, the fit and handling was spot on in every aspect. The bike is so stable at speed but can still transition from turn to turn with amazing quickness. The combination of wheelbase, long front center, bb height, and short stem and chainstays contribute to such incredible overall performance. Not to mention weighing under 27 lbs!

The Pike/DB Air combo is one tough suspension to beat. So tunable with no weight penalty, stays up in the geometry in the steeps, climbs with a vengeance. It came with a 32t ring on the XX1 drivetrain, but I changed it to a 30 to help with our local steep terrain yet it still had enough legs for the occasional pace line out the canyon. XTR brakes rule, but I do rarely overheat the 7 inch rotors on the longer, steeper downs. I'll keep 'em since they're fantastic 99.9% of the time with true 1 finger operation. The ENVE carbon wheels with DT Swiss wheels are a real contribution to ride feel. Torsionally stiff and light with real vibration damping that is clearly noticeable. I installed some Mallet DH Race pedals to add some power and platform to the turns, now it's the ultimate trail bike. Long live the King.

Submitted by Alex Willie

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2014

Strengths:    Stiff, light, nimble yet stable, climbs like a machine, traction everywhere, true "enduro" race bike.

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
Stiffest bike I've ever ridden, super responsive and can handle anything you will throw at it! It's light and nimble enough to be able to place the bike where you want it, but you're still able to point it down the hill and let the bike take the rough choppy stuff as well. Truly blown away by this bike, can't say enough good things about it.

Submitted by Andrew Melton a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2014

Strengths:    Very stable at high speeds, smooth and stable in rocks, very easy to flick around, light, best build possible

Weaknesses:    Can't run water bottle with a shock with a piggy back

Bottom Line:
I started riding this bike about 1 month ago and it has opened my mind to what can be done on a trail bike. This bike is extremely fast in every sense, from descending to climbing and everything in between. Intense has really stepped there game up with this bike and after riding many other trail bikes I can say that I will not replace this one anytime soon.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail in Kernville

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Bronson, Intense Carbine,

Bike Setup:   Factory Build

Submitted by dodger a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2014

Strengths:    Excels when pointed down. Suspension is as good as it gets, F and R. Geometry is spot on

Weaknesses:    Rear brake resonance, build quality could be improved, bearing durability?

Bottom Line:
I was coming off 3 years on an Ibis Mojo HD and before that 4 years on an Intense 6.6. So I have experience with both DW and VPP. I resisted the 27.5 movement but demo'd a Pivot Mach 6 several times and was very impressed with the rollover thru braking bumps and chattery chunk. Felt like maybe 20% improvement. Meanwhile 27.5 gives up very little in tight turn in compared to a 26, guessing maybe only 5%.

Then I had a chance to demo one of the first T275s and came away even more impressed and got a deal I couldn't pass up. I've had it over a month now and have had more than 25 rides on it.

Geometry

Geometry is king and that's always been my first consideration in a bike. I've always sought out a short overall reach but times have changed and the balance between stem length and TT length has shifted. The Mach 6 felt less floppy than my HD as a 60mm stem gave me the right overall reach (as compared to a 75mm on my HD).

But the T275 felt better still with it's longer front center/TT and 50mm stem. Meanwhile they kept the chainstays short so it's easy to manual and loft the front and make quick directional changes. HA is spot on, can climb the steeps without wandering, make quick tight turns in the swoopy stuff, but stable on the fast downs.

The low BB helps the cornering but it is on the verge of being too low for tech climbing. I definitely notice I have to be more careful with timing the cranks on ledgey climbing.

Climbing

I find DW bikes to pedal a bit more neutral or undisturbed through the rough. This generation of VPP is vastly improved but there are moments where the suspension tends to hang just a bit in technichal ledgey climbing. Maybe the VPP has a bit more rearward axle path than DW? On a 10 pt scale I'd give a DW bike like the HD or Mach 6 a 10. I'd give this bike a 9.5.

Descending

WOW. The bike just shines. It feels 20% faster through rough, chattery, chunky descents. I can't say how much is attributable to the suspension, the 27.5 wheels, the longer Geo, but it's noticeably faster than my HD 26 and seamed faster than the M6 as well (based on only a few demo rides mind you).

Stiffness

Very stiff laterally. Intense finally put the past noodley rear ends behind them.

Suspension

Seams everybody is gushing about the Pike and now I know why. It's the real deal. I figured I had the ultimate cush with my Van 36 but now I realize the importance of midstroke support.

The DB Air is amazing. I set it at the recommended tune and have barely budged. It's just so well planted and controlled.

On a normal trail ride I only use 80-85% of my travel but get some larger drops and then I'm using close to full travel.

VPP vs DW.

I was a big DW fan because the suspension seemed very progressive. In the showroom and parking lot the suspension is just so reactive to the smallest load. Push on the seat just a bit and the suspension responds. Drop the rear of the bike and you get a pillow like deadening. That said, I struggled with blowing thru full travel on my HD. Despite having the DHX Air progressivity adjusted all the way in and running plenty of 'boost' pressure and having a volume spacer in it.

VPP has an initial regressive shock rate to the sag point and then turns progressive. In the showroom the suspension felt all wrong to me - like it took too much effort to get it going and then fell thru it's stroke to sag. I figured small bump sensitivity would suck but on the trail, when you're at the sag point, it's a completely different picture.

I'd still give the nod to DW for outright small bump sensitivity but this VPP is a close second and the advantages this VPP offers in square hits, big hits, chatter and chunk weigh clearly in favor of this bike.

Braking

I prefer DW and VPP over a four bar as they offer some pro-squat to counteract the natural tendency to dive. I find the pro squat here to be about equal or maybe a bit less than my HD.

Build quality/kit

The pivot bolts work themselves loose. I had to go through and reloctite everything. One of the bearings is rough and notchy after only 1 week!

I was getting a creak from the SRAM XD driver/cassette interface. It was greased from the factory but not enough. More grease remedied that.

The supplied XTR/180 brakes work fine. I know everybody likes Shimano brakes now but I find them to be on/off switces. I prefer Avids. I also find 180 rotors to fade too much on big mountain descents (5,000ft+).

I installed my Avid Elixirs from my HD and the rear brake resonated like mad. It would be fine while braking, but get the pads hot, lay off the brakes for a bit and then get back on them and the resonance was maddening. Mind you this was the very same caliper and rotor I had no issues with on the HD. New rotors alone didn't help, I had to get new calipers as well to remedy the problem. The frame seems more prone to a harmonic with 8" rotors than my HD.

Favorite Trail:   Alpine