Intense Tracer 275 27.5 Full Suspension

The wait is over! The Intense Tracer 27.5 is an all-mountain trail ripping platform built specifically around the new 27.5” mountain wheel standard. Intense has recognized that this new category needed a fully featured, tough, efficient, and plush frame to really show off this awesome new wheel size. The Tracer 27.5 delivers 5.5-6” of adjustable travel, Patented Virtual Pivot Point suspension design, and the host of awesome features that Intense is known for, all hand made in the USA!

Intense Tracer 275 Pro Review

The Intense Cycles Tracer 275 is the natural progression of their popular Tracer VPP All Mountain bike. The Tracer 275 features 5.5 or 6? of travel (adjustable shock mount) and is made right here in the USA at the Intense factory in Temecula, CA. In fact, that is a key factor that allows the ‘small’ guy, like Jeff Steber (founder of Intense Cycles) to be able to take a current design, adapt it and refine it for the new 27.5? wheel platform and to be able to offer bikes available now, months before other manufacturers even have their prototypes ready. Continue reading →

Submitted by Jared Cummings a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2013

Strengths:    There is nothing that this bike does not like doing, except going slow. It is a very proficient climber and if need be the Fox CTD on fork and shock are easy to access and have very noticeable changes to the handling. Although it is more comfortable on long enduro or epic rides it can be pressed into duty at the local bike park as well. Weight and geometry are spot on to make it a one bike quiver. I have mine built with the 160mm Fox Talas and got Factory Kashima coating on fork and shock, definitely worth the extra cost. The smooth and predictable handling along with the stellar XT 2X10 drivetrain has made every ride more enjoyable and faster. The bigger wheels add smoother faster rolling without slowing the bikes handling in any noticeable way.

Weaknesses:    There are only a few weaknesses with this bike. The many pivots on the frame take extra watching, I had one loosen up on me on a twenty miler but just taking extra precaution on pre-ride checks solves this problem. The 2X10 drivetrain along with the bigger wheels makes one have to be a little more fit to get this bike up steeper climbs, but once you get used to it and learn to keep momentum it will crawl up anything. That and the cost involved with buying a boutique brand are the only weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
This is my second Intense. I also own a Uzzi xvp first generation. Before the snow fully melted up here in Lake Tahoe I purchased this bike, and have been on it ever since. Having logged over 600 miles on it this summer I have gotten very in touch with this bike. It is perfect for the trails up here I wouldn't want any other bike. I am sold on the 27.5 wheel size. Having ridden both 29ers and 26ers this is the best of both worlds. If you can spend the money on this type of bike you will never regret the money that have spent. Oh, by the way, their customer service is also spot on.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville downhill, always amazing

Duration Product Used:   One full summer

Purchased At:   Art's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Intense Uzzi XVP first generation, Mountain Cycle Rumble

Bike Setup:   Fox Kashima factory front and rear, full Shimano XT 2X10 drivetrain and brakes, WTB i23 Wheelset laced to SRAM X9 hubs, WTB volt saddle on a KS dropper post, WTB Vigilante 2.3 tires ran tubeless with stans, Truvativ stem, Answer bars ran full wide, crank bros candy peddles.

Submitted by jukeyboy a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2013

Strengths:    The frame, XT build kit, wheelset, and suspension are all top notch. The ride is amazing. This bike is the real deal.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found one.

Bottom Line:
Originally, I have had cross country bikes and not a trail bike. I must admit that there is a different riding style to get used to. Not to mention that the bike sits taller due to the suspension and the wheels. It took me a few weeks to get over some major head games to be comfortable.

The head games over. Once I dialed in the bike, I was able to start riding and becoming very comfortable. Before the Tracer 275, I would see a rock in the middle of the trail(or any obstacle for that matter), I would look for a way around it. Now, I hit it! It's amazing! The wheels are capable of riding over most obstacles. The suspension can sook up most of the hits that I can throw at it. The suspension does an amazing job. The Fox Suspension inspires confidence.

The XT Group is some quality parts that I am accustom to. This is my first bike with disc brakes. I always chose v brakes for my other rides. I must say that the brakes took me some time to get used to. Especially on the trail, I had another learning curve. Now. I can use them just as well in the trail. With this much suspension, I let the bike roll and stay off the brakes as much as possible. The crankset is super rigid. The way that they should be. The front and rear derails work flawlessly. Again, I expect this from Shimano.

I did some minor changes to the bike. I changed the grips to Oury's, and changed the stem to a Race Face 100mm 0 degree stem. I also use Time mtb pedals. These are all personal changes. Everyone will have their own preferences. This is not Intense's problem nor any other bike company for that matter. I will change the tires for the summer too.

The bike is a head turner. It's in Intense FlOrange a.k.a Neon Orange. It looks fantastic! So many people comment on it. Not only the color, but the bike as a hole. If you get one, be prepared to become someones friend on the trail. I'm a social person, so this bike and color fit me well. This bike is gorgeous.

All in all, I love the Intense Tracer 275. It's fast, smooth, and an all out blast to ride. It makes me a better trail rider, for sure. I am having a blast finding new trails to ride to push the limits. The Intense(in FlOrange) did that for me.

Favorite Trail:   Any and All