GT Sensor 27.5 Full Suspension

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

The GT Trail bike is designed for the aggressive trail rider who is out ripping singletrack and occasionally testing his racing skills. This rider doesn’t want to compromise on climbing or descending. GT Trail bikes have 130mm of travel on both the front and rear, and premium suspension for the ability to ride an endless variety of trails.

Submitted by Danton a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2016

Strengths:    Really is a fantastic pedaling bike. The rear suspension stays active under power and braking which is pretty awesome. Handles incredibly well in any situation. This is the perfect bike for someone who rides 2-3 times a week for the hell of it with the occasional race. Not really a dedicated race bike (unless you are racing Super D. I think it would be perfect for that if those types of races are still being held), but no slouch either. It corners like a monster, and it still amazes me how well it goes up hill. It's not a downhill bike by any means, but it is one of those bikes that makes going up hill a lot less painful and going downhill a complete blast. Even though I have replaced the rear shock (Got a nick in the O2 RL that came on the bike) I was pretty happy with the suspension. The Velvet fork is REALLY nice once it breaks in. Takes a few rides for that fork to fall in stride but once it does it is a fantastic fork. I have thought about replacing it but I just can't justify it (I've always been a Rockshox guy, but that particular fork just works). If you catch these things at the right time of the year you can get a killer deal.

Weaknesses:    I have the Comp. Regular price they are 2k and I caught mine on sale through Jenson USA for 1300 bucks. Its heavy, but at that price point you shouldn't expect a 22lb cross country race bike. I don't know if I would call that a weakness. One thing I will say though is if you get the Comp or one that has the GT "All-Terra" branded hubs change them immediately or buy a new wheelset all together. Those hubs are garbage. I never thought I could tell the difference in a hub that engages well and one that doesn't, but with those you can. If you are getting the comp just plan on replacing some parts (crank, cockpit stuff, and for me the drive train left a bit to be desired). That's all to be expected at that price point though so its tough to call it a weakness. Even with the stock parts I went almost a year without needing to replace the cheap-o All Terra cockpit parts.

Bottom Line:
Parts spec is a very subjective thing in my opinion. Some people will ride a bike with a SRAM X5 drivetrain totally cool with it, and there is no problem with that. I didn't like the drivetrain that came on my Comp, but I knew what I was getting going into the purchase. I planned on riding that drivetrain and making due until I could afford a nicer drivetrain. That is really the only part of the bike that I replaced ahead of time. Everything else I just replaced as it crapped out on me. I'm a big guy, and I ride really hard. I'm not "graceful" on the trail. There are times I just hammer through the rough sections with no regard and even with me being built like a gorilla (I'm a stout 240+ lbs depending on how hydrated I am) plus my riding style the cheap stock parts held up for a good while. I didn't replace the rear shock until about 7 months after I got the bike and the cheap crankset and cockpit parts lasted about 9 months. So really not so bad. If you are looking for a frame that will slay in just about any situation you should seriously consider this bike. I rode quite a few bikes before I decided on this one and really it was a shot in the dark because I didn't get to "test ride" one properly. I tried the Trek Fuel (29er and I just couldn't handle those big wheels), and the Giant Trance (great bike but it just didn't quite sell me). Then I saw this bike on sale and read some reviews. I figured worse case I sell it for about what I have in it and break even. I can tell you right now I will probably never get rid of this bike. The frame is a really great design. Just slack enough to do the business but steep enough for the climb. The suspension LOOKS really intimidating, but once you get up close and see whats really going on it's not so bad. Uses what I could really only describe as a "floating link" that I think is loosely based off of a Horst link. Regardless its a really smart design and works just as good (in my opinion better than some) as any other design out there. Weekend warriors look no further. This bike will handle anything you need it to.

Favorite Trail:   Stanley-Drapper

Purchased At:   www.jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek fuel, Giant Trance, Specialized Camber (My opinion on Specialized: overpriced junk).

Bike Setup:   Currently running a Shimano XT with a 11-42 11 speed rear and a 30T Raceface chainring up front on a Raceface Chester crank. Rockshox Monarch XX (remote lockout that I rarely use) on the rear, X-Fusion Velvet up front. Alex MD23 wheelset (awesome wheels for the budget conscious) with novatec DB883 (I think that's the model number great hubs regardless). DT swiss 10mm RWS thru bolt on the backend as well since you can convert those novatec hubs (one of the reasons I bought that wheelset), Maxxis High Roller II 2.4 inch tires, SDG Ti-Fly seat, Raceface Atlas 35 bars (trimmed to 775mm), Raceface chester 35 stem, and still running the stock shimano brakes which have held up really well and get the job done. At one point I put new rotors on it, but they weren't anything fantastic (even still way over performed considering I gave 25 bucks for the set).

Submitted by Darrin a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2016

Strengths:    I have the Sensor Elite. Strong, durable and a nice price point. Got it at Performance Bike during a smoking sale and they also have the 1 year return guarantee which is hard to beat.

Weaknesses:    It is heavy, but if you don't know this going into the purchase.... WAKE UP!! HAH

Bottom Line:
An all around, solid mid level bike for the weekend warrior rider. With proper maintenance this bike will last a frequent rider 5-8 years.

Bike Setup:   Sensor Elite.

Submitted by dave gray a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2015

Strengths:    price and ride quality

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
I've been a big horst link fan for about 10 years but when GT came out with the completely redone suspension in 2015 I was very interested. The ride characteristics are very similar to the horst link and pedal efficiency is quite good. The busy mechanical linkage takes a bit of getting used to and at first glance it looks complicated but not overly so, it's unique. This bike is as fully active as anything I've ever ridden and plush.The handling is fantastic, I have the comp. and like any lower end offering, it's inherently heavy. I have it down to about 27.5 pounds and run it 1x10. I do local racing on it and have no complaints with how it performs. I would venture to say that it compares to brands costing a grand more. My only concern at the moment is whether a cinch crank system will fit, the new 30mm axle which uses larger outboard bearings may have clearance issues on the non drive side. This is a very well done design.

Favorite Trail:   the one i'm on.

Duration Product Used:   aboutn 3 months

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   Specialized and Kona

Bike Setup:   1x 10 stans crest wheels.

Submitted by warning for potential Australian GT buyers!

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2015

Strengths:    GT always introduce a bit of innovation and they're a solid bike, if usually a bit on the porky side. I also like buying something a bit different to the more common bikes like Giant and Specialized (not that there's anything wrong with these bikes)...

Weaknesses:    ...however, if you are in Australia, you need to be cautious about dealing with less common brands...depending on the distributor, the back-up service can be appalling! The problem with brands with smaller volumes and proprietary parts is that you are heavily dependent on the distributor to obtain unusual parts...and unfortunately the GT distributor in Oz just isn't up to the task!

Bottom Line:
GT and Cannondale both make great bikes...but be cautious of buying either in Oz in terms of back-up

Submitted by Scotty a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2013

Strengths:    GT is back baby!! 27.5, Strong frame, full carbon, great parts for the price. Lev dropper post and tubeless ready wheels! Bomber trail bike! Climbs like a goat! With 5" travel.

Weaknesses:    OEM fizik seat and formula rear hub( although I changed the seat and rear hub(Hope evo2) these are more of a personal preference.

Bottom Line:
This is my first 2 week review of the gt sensor expert I have ridden the bike in Nelson BC and in Cumberland BC. This means nasty , steep, wet and rocky and rooty terrain both up and down. The Sensor expert climbs like a mountain goat and decends like a banshee considering there is only 130mm travel front and rear. I will
L do a 3 mos. follow up review at that time.

Favorite Trail:   Potluck>Thirsty Beaver

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks

Purchased At:   2 Wheeler Dealer, Ha

Similar Products Used:   Norco, Specialized etc.

Bike Setup:   Easton Havoc 35mm bar and stem, Hope Evo2 142mm rear hub, Stans tubeless sealent. Time z pedals. Pulled off big ring put bash guard on. Brake levers flipped MX style. Hope evo 2 hubs.