Giant Anthem 27.5 Full Suspension

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

What do you get when you combine the quickness and agility of the Anthem platform with the added handling and stability of 27.5-inch wheels? You get this, the next evolution of XC performance. It features a lightweight ALUXX SL full-suspension alloy frame, and award-winning Maestro Suspension-meticulously engineered to optimize this new wheel size. The frame features Giant’s OverDrive 2 steerer tube for razor-sharp handling, plus a PowerCore bottom bracket for maximum pedaling stiffness and power transfer.

Submitted by mopartodd

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2014

Strengths:    Stable and confident. There was very little pedal bob and the movement I did notice I blame on set-up of the rear shock. I simply put in enough air to cover my riding weight to 100%. Thebike was predictable on the trail at speed. The Shimano brakes were nice.

Weaknesses:    The weight was up there, 29.4 lbs with light pedals. Not enough top end gear for my liking and the riding I do.

Bottom Line:
I really liked the bike overall taking into account that the bike doesn't have the component group level that I'm used to using, but it did what it was supposed to, without any problems. I'd highly recommend the bike to someone who wants a good bike for trail riding or XC.

Submitted by Eat-My-Dust a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2014

Strengths:    Extremely well on uphills.
Seems there is more torque on the pedals with the 2X10, so you don't work as hard.
Light for the price.
Good roll resistance.

Weaknesses:    2X10 is not my thing... I find myself on the last gear too many times on downhills.
Suspension feels stiff but sag is high... will try to service them under warranty. maybe its calibration issue.

Bottom Line:
Is the best choice for the price (retail).
I was about to get epics but they only come in 29"
Last season left overs was only large. :(
Would recommend as a second bike you own. If you are more experienced, i'd get a higher spec of the same. (now wish i had).

Duration Product Used:   ~500Km

Purchased At:   Silent Sports

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR XC, Haro Xeon S. (still have the Haro, and would never sell, specialized were sold to make room for the Giant)

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by sprocketjockey9 a Racer

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2014

Strengths:    This is for the Anthem Advanced 27.5-1
XT group set is excellent, those brakes are always incredible
Superlight carbon frame
Fox CTD suspension is perfect after setup
Extremely nimble and accelerates quickly
Stealth Black

Weaknesses:    Swapped out the stock bar & seat-post for lighter.
Comes with a low end cassette (SLX?)
Fox CTD out of the box needed a tune (was very sticky)

Bottom Line:
This bike is super light out of the box and with the upgrades it's gotten even lighter. I had a suspension set up done and set up a little bit stiffer than I would normally run. This lets me sit 'up' a bit in the suspension during trail mode and thaw where I've predominately left it. In that mode it feels great. Feels like hardtail everywhere i want it to be and then as soon as I hit a bump, where I'd normally brace for the ht hit, it just disappears and I accelerate and never feel like the suspension is working against me. Swap it to descend mode and I can sit down in the suspension a bit more and get that cushy feeling.

I've had many 29er bikes and several 29er full suss. None of the Full suss ever felt like they were 'right' Either the suspension was never dialed or it seemed a bit like too much bike for XC/Marathon racing. I kept swapping back to a HT. But really wanted a FS, this bike and wheel size fits perfect. It's extremely nimble and corners with ease and flickable as everyone likes to say. But there's no loss of that rolling speed like a 29er, except I don't need all that effort to work to build the speed up to get it going.

It just goes. Plain and simple, it feels like 100% of the effort to move the bike forward goes into moving the bike forward. Some bikes feel like they are working against you a bit, either with the suspension or the wheels or drivetrain and just a little bit is taken away with every effort. This bike doesn't have that feeling ever. It's hard to put into words, but its enjoyable to really feel like you are flying on this bike.

Favorite Trail:   DEC Descent- Naples, NY

Swapped out bars for a set of Thomson Carbon 730mm
Swapped seat post out for a Thomson Masterpiece

Submitted by OxygenDeficit a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2013

Strengths:    This review is for the Giant Anthem Advanced 1 ( not the 0) . This bike is fast. Way fast. Sucks up East coast singletrack , whoop-de-coos, turns, drops with aplomb. The lightweight carbon frame feels like the bike just isn't there. (in a good way) Suspension set up was straightforward.

I've owned full suspension Giant's with the Maestro suspension (26 ers) and love the way full suspension engages on bumps and is stiff for the climb. The 1 has a full XT group with Giant seat post, bars and stem. The 2 x20 XT is perfect for my trails and has good ratios for my trails. XT Brakes are confidence inspiring, the fork is supple and not "too light" for a larger rider like myself.

I also own a XTC 29er 1 hard tail. I was anxious to compare the two bikes realizing they are vastly different. The thing is, I really love my 29er hardtail & I was worried I wouldn't like this bike as much. I was way wrong. My first ride with this bike was that it was ridiculously fast. I kept trying to ride this bike with a serious, unbiased attitude and I kept being amazed at how it felt & how I had just gone through a familiar section of trail way faster than any other time before. I was bombing everything but I had all the control I wanted. My 29er has a little bit of what I call "wheel flop" at slow speeds and I sometimes just can't quite hit the line I want in a turn because it just can't corner the way I'd like. This bike truly does all the thing that my 29er does well AND corners like a champ. I could feel the suspension soaking up all the bumps I needed it too and the bike rolled over everything just as well as the 29er.

Another big difference was climbing and lifting the front wheel. This bike climbs very well and maintains momentum like nothing I've ever ridden. I easily cleaned a few rooty staircases that often give me some trouble on 29 inch wheels.

The gloss black on matte black finish is very stealth looking. Comes with tubeless parts for those who want to lighten it up

Weaknesses:    Finding a weakness on this bike is a bit of a reach. It has a ton of value for the money.

If I had to split hairs and find faults, then it might be the grips and the handlebar. These are almost always swapped out to a rider's preference so it really isn't that much of a weakness.

The XT wheels, Giant seat post, bar, and stem aren't the lightest things available and also aren't carbon fiber but they are all still light and strong aluminum. You could easily take a pound off this bike with some new carbon giblets. The wheels are respectably light but racers may want to go for a pedigree wheel set and take some weight off there. Again, not really a weakness a the bike weighs in at just a smidge over 25 lbs for a large.

Bottom Line:
I've been mountain biking for 25+ years... I hate to be a drinker of the Kool-Aid but this thing delivers what Giant's marketing says it does. It has the rollover of the 29er and the control and cornering of the 26ers. Having ridden 27.5 (650b), 29ers and over 20 years on 26ers... this bike is the fastest riding bike I have ever owned. There's still a few trails that I may ride my 29er on preferentially but if i had to own only one bike, this bike would be it.

(MTBR - Move this review to the Anthem Advanced 27.5 1 section once it's up. )

Favorite Trail:   Owl's Roost