Giant Anthem SX 27.5 Full Suspension

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

What do you get when you combine the XC speed of the Anthem platform with the added handling and stability of 27.5-inch wheels and longer-travel front suspension? You get the all-new Anthem SX 27.5. Featuring a lightweight ALUXX SL full-suspension alloy frame with 120mm of travel up front and 100mm of Maestro Suspension in the rear, it’s a great choice for technical XC race courses or remote singletrack adventures. The frame also features Giant’s proven 27.5 geometry for razor-sharp handling, plus a PowerCore bottom bracket for maximum pedaling stiffness and power transfer.

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2016

Strengths:    Newest Technology, 130mm front and 110 rear travel

Weaknesses:    Would be nice set up with 2.5" tires.

Bottom Line:
Screaming Neon Red, this bike is great. Just the right amount of rear travel and a nice 130mm up front. 110 front and boost rear give a lot of lateral stiffness. 1X11 drivetrain, dropper post. Plenty of ground clearance. Nice ride

Favorite Trail:   Kingdom Trails

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stump jumper,

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by jacob a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2016

Strengths:    Suspension design is very nimble in climbs, flat, and decent. This bike is an awesome value and the perfect do it all xc bike.

Weaknesses:    Factory tires are not at all durable (they scream, burst in to flames, explode, and go flat as soon as they see a rock). Press fit bottom bracket requires more maintenance than threaded.

Bottom Line:
The geometry of the anthem feels very at home for xc. The suspension is very capable in rough terrain but is not too slack for flats, slow technical, and climbing. The anthem sx is a very good do it all xc bike. The components spec cuts no corners and makes for a no fuss rig. The added suspension up front allows for more aggressive riding in rough terrain. My only complaints are the press fit bottom bracket and factory tires. The bb like all press fit bbs requires more maintenance than threaded bbs. The schwalbe tires are very unreliable. I would recommend pulling off the factory rubber and replacing them with continental tires or maxis tires with puncture protection. With all of that said, the range of this bikes capability makes it a blast to ride everywhere.

The bottom line: This is a killer fun bike to ride and a great value. Replace the factory tires as soon as you pull it out of the box.

Favorite Trail:   greensfelder state park

Purchased At:   EP

Bike Setup:   All factory aside from continental mountain king 2.4 front and continental x king 2.4 rear tire.

Submitted by tonkota a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2015

Strengths:    Balanced geometry, great group set, high end tires, 2x10, smooth hubs, paint job,

Weaknesses:    bottle cage mounting bosses only allow a small water bottle.

Bottom Line:
I sold my Land Cruiser to buy this bike and I can tell you right now it was worth it. The bike fits me great (5'8" and a small frame) and is so comfortable to ride I just can't hardly believe it. The balance front to rear is perfect. The stock bars are plenty wide for me, the group set is what I would buy if I were building a bike from the frame up. The Schwalbe tires are great and wearing well after 200 miles. Never owned them before, but I will buy them again.

Great value. Buying a similar equipped Trek or other bike would have been $800 to $$$ more money.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Butler

Submitted by Manning

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2015

Strengths:    Superb suspension. Excellent Maestro design, and it's the only bike even close to this price range with FIT fork and Boost Valve equipped Fox components. (not Evolution components like most bikes come with). SLX brakes have excellent modulation and power with the 180 front rotor.

Weaknesses:    Maxxis Ardent front tire does not have confidence inspiring cornering grip. Even with pressures as low as 21psi, where the squirm became objectionable.

19mm inside width rims could be wider.

Bottom Line:
My background to put things in perspective....Raced BMX semi-serously throughout the '80's, and have been into cycling of one form or another ever since. Lots of sport/Cat 2 mtb XC racing, dabbled in downhill racing and trials, recently been doing cyclocross and road racing in addition to the XC racing. Yes, I'm old (48).

Rear suspension is "invisible". Can stand up and hammer like a hardtail (couldn't do that on my last FS bike), but is sucks up all the rough stuff that needs to be sucked up. 90% of my riding is done in "trail" mode. "Decend" mode is super plush, I only use it for warm down. "Climb" is redundant.

The FIT fork is well controlled. The low speed damping is appreciated. Most of my riding is done in "decend", but "trail" gets used also. "Climb" is darn near locked out, I never use it.

All of my previous mtb's have had 26" wheels. The change to 27.5 was only noticeable during the first ride. A little better roll over, and a little slower low speed handling (this might have been due to the longer wheelbase and more slack head angle). The high speed handling is very stable and confidence inspiring. Love to bomb through the rough stuff, hit smaller drops (<5') and jumps.

Shifting has been dead reliable. Approaching 20 hours of ride time, and haven't touched the cable tension.

Dropper works well, small frame size has a 75mm drop, with is plenty for me. A little strange when the post extends when the bike is picked up by the seat. Apparently that's normal for this post.

The bike came with Maxxis tires instead of the Schwalbes that are listed in the specs. Ardent on front, and Ardent Race exo on the rear. The Ardent Race is a keeper. Good overall traction and low rolling resistance. The Ardent front tire was the bikes only real weakness.

I even like the grips....

Stock weight with Candy pedals was 28 3/4 lbs.

Overall I love this bike. My XC race hardtail will probably only be used for rides with the family now.

5 chilis for value, 4 overall cause nothing is perfect.....

Favorite Trail:   All of them. Prefer trails with technical features.

Duration Product Used:   2 months.

Purchased At:   Lewis and Clark Outf

Similar Products Used:   Last FS bike was 2002 Kona Bear, 100mm rear travel, 130mm front (had 100mm stock).

Bike Setup:   Small frame size. Renthal Fatbar lite bars, Truvative T30 75mm stem, Wolftooth 30t chainring, Continental Trail King 2.2 front tire, Stan's tubeless coversion (29r XC kit), Crank Bros Candy 3 pedals. WTB Rocket seat. Current weight 27 3/4 lbs.

Submitted by Dan Davis

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2014

Strengths:    This bike handles so well out of the box: it's even nimbler since going tubeless. There is no shudder from the rear thanks to Fox and Maestro.

Weaknesses:    I give this a four only because the components are not all XT. However, it shifts like a dream so I cannot say anything bad about this build.

Bottom Line:
The bikes handlebars are a little wide for singletrack: recommend you shorten by 1.5 inches overall. I'm 59 and in this being my third year on a MTB I cannot say enough about how much fun this bike is to ride. I've climbed a half-dozen hills I've never come close to getting up. This bike is responsive, balanced, the dropper really helps on the downhill switchbacks and although I was sold on a 29er I found this bike is so quick. Most of all I'm waiting on carbon or not at all. This price point allows you to get into another bike for another discipline like Fatties and Road.