Durango Bike Company Moonshine 650b 27.5 Full Suspension

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

This US handbuilt 160mm front and rear travel bike comes in under 28 pounds and rivals any mass production bike on the market. Mindfully built to out climb, outperform, and outlast all others, guaranteed. The superior no-nonsense component package along with unparalleled craftsmanship, agility, speed, handling, comfort, and price is unsurpassed. Before you drink the punch try a Moonshine!

Submitted by Doggyllama a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2014

Strengths:    Geometry is spot on. Pedals extremely well. Descends like a mini DH bike. Super plush. So well spec'd from the Bike Co. Best horst link I have ever ridden. 650b is pretty awesome too. Made by hand in Durango Colorado. Customer service was phenomenal.

Weaknesses:    I hate to be such a fanboy of my new bike...but I have been racking my brain for some little thing I don't like about this bike, and I haven't found anything. They don't build a downhill bike. I can't afford to get one for each member of my family.

Bottom Line:
For starters, this is my favorite kind of bike to ride. It weighs about 29 pounds and is well suited for exactly the kind of riding I do 90% of the time. The ordering procedure was super easy as they accept Pay-pal. Through several phone calls and e-mails we worked out the spec. and color scheme for the bike. During the build I received several e-mails with pictures. In a little over three weeks I had my new bike delivered to my place of employment. The day it shipped I received an email from UPS that included a link so I could track the shipment in real time. I had that kid at Christmas feeling every time I checked my e-mail! I have ridden this thing commuting, serious XC with extended single track climbs, rocky descents, blazing fast fire road jumps, Santa Cruz mountain down hills, berm laden flow trails, and 3-4 foot drops to flat. The first thing I noticed was how well the bike pedals. The horst configuration on this bike is seriously dialed. Sprinting out of corners or climbing fire roads seated, the bike moves forward nicely with no perceptible "bounce". This is especially appreciated on those "shut up legs" days. Descending the bike feels soooo moto! This bike is lighter than my usual set up and I was worried it would get pushed around a little on the trail. No need to worry, the Moonshine motors! Pick a line and go. This bike really does inspire confidence. I have found it really hard to get this thing to lose its composure. I was actually climbing a section that I had descended earlier in my ride and thought to my self, "This wasn't this bumpy going down!". What a testament to plush suspension! I've done some small drops to flat and haven't bottomed the suspension. I'm running factory recommended settings on the PIKE and the CCDB. I have launched a big, full speed, fire road water bar "step down". It was one of those jumps where you're wondering if you're going too fast but now it's too late and you have to commit, and now you're in the air for what seems like so long that you're counting, and you're worried about destroying your new bike and wrecking your aging body. One of those jumps. When I landed and settled down, I checked my "travel meters" and found that I still had a little bit left to use. No wiggle at all from the Moonshine on that landing either. 650b is new to me and an improvement over 26" for the kind of riding I do. The thing I didn't notice right away, but really appreciate about this bike, is how fresh I feel all the time. I'm getting older and this bike lets me do way more miles than I previously was doing. The light weight, 650b wheel size, plush suspension, good geometry, all seem to work together seamlessly to provide the best ride I have ever had on an all mountain/enduro style bike. The spec. on this bike is really well thought out, 760mm bar, 50mm stem, both Thomson, top of the line Pike and CCDB, Reverb dropper, XO11 drivetrain, all work flawlessly, and as mentioned before work together so very well. I tried building a similar kit on an equivalent frame on one of the online bike building sites and it totaled over $8,000. This bike ain't cheap, but it is a good value. If I could afford it I would buy this bike for my wife and my kids. I love it that much.

Favorite Trail:   The blind horse loop at Demo

Duration Product Used:   3-6 hrs a day for three weeks

Purchased At:   Durango Bike Company

Similar Products Used:   Knolly Endorphin, Specialized Enduro, Specialized SX Trail, Santa Cruz Bullit, many more but not exactly similar

Bike Setup:   Stock from DBC. I-9 Enduro wheelset, SRAM XO 11 drive train and cranks, Rock Shox Pike, Thomson cockpit, Avid brakes, Reverb dropper post, CCDB air with climb switch, custom paint, some serious love

Submitted by Bondseye a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2014

Strengths:    Great specs

Weaknesses:    Very poor quality control and even worse customer service post purchase.

Bottom Line:
I received two horribly misaligned Durango Moonshine frames. Both had sloppy welds. One frame was so bad the swing arm made contact with the seat tube. When I asked for a refund and shared my story on the MTBR forum DBC owner Jeff attacked me on the forum and generally behaved like an ass in more personal communications. He was great when he wanted my money. Not so great once I asked for a refund. For more details and pictures feel free to read the following thread.
The short of it is buyer beware. Check those welds, and watch out for bad alignment. I think the concept is solid, but their execution is at best hit or miss , and quality control non existent. Love the specs.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa.

Purchased At:   Durango Bike Company

Similar Products Used:   Norco Sight, Turner Burner, Ellsworth Evolve.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by phil176 a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2014

Strengths:    Absolutely no need to flip any switches or levers for the moonshine to climb amazingly. Pedals very efficiently with no bobbing while the suspension remains fully active = excellent traction. Very poppy, playful feel while still being able to plow through the roughest terrain. Descends like a DH bike but climbs like a mountain goat. Top notch build.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any.

Bottom Line:
I have been racing this bike for 3 months in the Big Mountain Enduro series and it has blown me away with how capable it is on both the Climbs and the Descents.
Fairly light for a race ready XL enduro bike weighing in at 28.7 lbs.
Once I dialed in the suspension and controls I was comfortable right off the bat.
The pedaling efficiency gets all the power to the ground when sprinting out of the saddle and when climbing technical rooty/rocky trails.
My favorite thing about this bike is that there is never any need to flip a switch on the shock in order to climb unlike many other bikes in the same category.
The low BB makes for a planted feel on the trail but still stays active and poppy. The short rear end makes the front end easy to pick up over obstacles. This bike's taken my riding to the another level.

I've ridden this bike on Lift access trails at Keystone/Winter Park and felt completely confident in its abilities. It still amazes me how I can go from burly DH riding straight to all day XC rides with no changes to the bike.

My bike setup:
Rockshox Pike RCT3, Cane Creek DB Air, Industry Nine wheels, SRAM X01 drivetrain, SRAM XO trail brakes, Continental Trail King Protection 2.4 tires, Rockshox Reverb Stealth.

Top Notch Build and Made in the USA

Favorite Trail:   Test Tracks

Purchased At:   Durango Bike Company

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Claymore, Trek Remedy 650B, Trek Remedy 29, Cannondale Jekyll

Submitted by Sergio Alfonso Verduzco a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2014

Strengths:    Game Changing Bike ! This bike has taken my riding to new levels.. I am cleaning climbs that were unattainable in my previous bike a Santa Cruz Blur. My downhill speed has improved dramatically, the moonshine is agile and nimble in single track and smooths out all major hits and drops. The lifetime warranty on the frame plus the no nonsense top shelf parts made this purchase a no brainer for me. I love the 1x11 drive train, initially I was a little skeptical , but I have to admit I don't miss shifting between three chain rings up front. My moonshine has a dropper post, Rockshox Pike fork, Double barrel rear shock, I9 wheels, king head set, sram xo derailleur & cranks. After doing some comparison with other bikes at around the same price it became evident that this build package offer solid value at this price point, other bikes were $1000 to $1500 more for a comparable build.

Weaknesses:    It took a little time to get my bike but that is understandable since they are hand crafted and built with Jeff's eye for quality and detail.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for anyone looking to step up to a bigger wheel diameter bike. The moonshine climbs like a dream and bombs the downhills with aplomb ! I am SUPER STOKED ! With my Durango Bike Co Moonshine...

Favorite Trail:   Dry Fork High Point Durango Colorado

Purchased At:   Durango Colorado

Submitted by kdimon a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2014

Strengths:    Technical Climbing
All-Around Capabilities
Confident Descents

Weaknesses:    On a couple of build options but they were almost perfect on spec.

Bottom Line:
I have had my Durango Moonshine for about 3 months now and decided I have been on the bike enough to do a fair review. The bike is just plain fun. I have taken this bike on everything from pure xc rides to downhill blasts. My riding style fits in to the trail category and the moonshine has been everything I wanted for it.

Technical climbing is where I have seen the biggest improvements in my riding. When climbing in chunky the suspension is consistent, predictable, and sticks to the ground. I do not feel any mid travel-wallowing that would be expected from a bike with 160mm of travel.

On the descents the slack geometry is confidence inspiring with out feeling like you are driving a bus. The suspension also does a great job of smoothing out the trail and bottomless on drops.

Mine is equipped with a dropper post, the monarch rc3 plus rear shock, pike up front, and the upgraded I9 wheels and ways just over 28lbs with pedals. Very impressive for a XL with 160mm of travel.

The $6k is a bit of a sticker shock but when you look at the specs nobody is offering Thompson stem and bars, Chris King headset/ I9 wheels X01 drive train or comparable with that price.