Durango Bike Company Moonshine 650b 27.5 Full Suspension

This US handbuilt 160mm front and rear travel bike comes in under 28 pounds and rivals any mass production bike on the market. Mindfully built to out climb, outperform, and outlast all others, guaranteed. The superior no-nonsense component package along with unparalleled craftsmanship, agility, speed, handling, comfort, and price is unsurpassed. Before you drink the punch try a Moonshine!

Submitted by phil176 a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2014

Strengths:    Absolutely no need to flip any switches or levers for the moonshine to climb amazingly. Pedals very efficiently with no bobbing while the suspension remains fully active = excellent traction. Very poppy, playful feel while still being able to plow through the roughest terrain. Descends like a DH bike but climbs like a mountain goat. Top notch build.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any.

Bottom Line:
I have been racing this bike for 3 months in the Big Mountain Enduro series and it has blown me away with how capable it is on both the Climbs and the Descents.
Fairly light for a race ready XL enduro bike weighing in at 28.7 lbs.
Once I dialed in the suspension and controls I was comfortable right off the bat.
The pedaling efficiency gets all the power to the ground when sprinting out of the saddle and when climbing technical rooty/rocky trails.
My favorite thing about this bike is that there is never any need to flip a switch on the shock in order to climb unlike many other bikes in the same category.
The low BB makes for a planted feel on the trail but still stays active and poppy. The short rear end makes the front end easy to pick up over obstacles. This bike's taken my riding to the another level.

I've ridden this bike on Lift access trails at Keystone/Winter Park and felt completely confident in its abilities. It still amazes me how I can go from burly DH riding straight to all day XC rides with no changes to the bike.

My bike setup:
Rockshox Pike RCT3, Cane Creek DB Air, Industry Nine wheels, SRAM X01 drivetrain, SRAM XO trail brakes, Continental Trail King Protection 2.4 tires, Rockshox Reverb Stealth.

Top Notch Build and Made in the USA

Favorite Trail:   Test Tracks

Purchased At:   Durango Bike Company

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Claymore, Trek Remedy 650B, Trek Remedy 29, Cannondale Jekyll

Submitted by Sergio Alfonso Verduzco a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2014

Strengths:    Game Changing Bike ! This bike has taken my riding to new levels.. I am cleaning climbs that were unattainable in my previous bike a Santa Cruz Blur. My downhill speed has improved dramatically, the moonshine is agile and nimble in single track and smooths out all major hits and drops. The lifetime warranty on the frame plus the no nonsense top shelf parts made this purchase a no brainer for me. I love the 1x11 drive train, initially I was a little skeptical , but I have to admit I don't miss shifting between three chain rings up front. My moonshine has a dropper post, Rockshox Pike fork, Double barrel rear shock, I9 wheels, king head set, sram xo derailleur & cranks. After doing some comparison with other bikes at around the same price it became evident that this build package offer solid value at this price point, other bikes were $1000 to $1500 more for a comparable build.

Weaknesses:    It took a little time to get my bike but that is understandable since they are hand crafted and built with Jeff's eye for quality and detail.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for anyone looking to step up to a bigger wheel diameter bike. The moonshine climbs like a dream and bombs the downhills with aplomb ! I am SUPER STOKED ! With my Durango Bike Co Moonshine...

Favorite Trail:   Dry Fork High Point Durango Colorado

Purchased At:   Durango Colorado

Submitted by kdimon a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2014

Strengths:    Technical Climbing
All-Around Capabilities
Confident Descents

Weaknesses:    On a couple of build options but they were almost perfect on spec.

Bottom Line:
I have had my Durango Moonshine for about 3 months now and decided I have been on the bike enough to do a fair review. The bike is just plain fun. I have taken this bike on everything from pure xc rides to downhill blasts. My riding style fits in to the trail category and the moonshine has been everything I wanted for it.

Technical climbing is where I have seen the biggest improvements in my riding. When climbing in chunky the suspension is consistent, predictable, and sticks to the ground. I do not feel any mid travel-wallowing that would be expected from a bike with 160mm of travel.

On the descents the slack geometry is confidence inspiring with out feeling like you are driving a bus. The suspension also does a great job of smoothing out the trail and bottomless on drops.

Mine is equipped with a dropper post, the monarch rc3 plus rear shock, pike up front, and the upgraded I9 wheels and ways just over 28lbs with pedals. Very impressive for a XL with 160mm of travel.

The $6k is a bit of a sticker shock but when you look at the specs nobody is offering Thompson stem and bars, Chris King headset/ I9 wheels X01 drive train or comparable with that price.