Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Full Suspension

Trigger 27.5 is intended to be a do-it-all type of mountain bike, with 140 or 85mm of travel that's adjustable via a handlebar mounted remote that controls the Fox Dyad rear shock. The 27.5" wheels, slacker head angle and slightly longer front center, along with the shorter stem, are all design changes intended to make it a more capable, less XC-only type of ride than previous versions. Three full carbon options will be available, including a tricked out stealth black version whose highlights include an XX1 drivetrain and ENVE wheels. There will also be two alloy versions available that come equipped with a Fox front fork instead of the Lefty Supermax featured on the higher end versions.

Submitted by tommyfogarty a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2017

Strengths:    Build quality, attention to detail, component group, adjustability, weight, price (closeout), weight.

Weaknesses:    None that I can find yet.

Bottom Line:
I am a 49 year old rider in the Santa Cruz Mountains riding single track and technical up/down trails from China Camp to Santa Cruz. I just replaced my 2012 Tallboy with a 2016 Cannondale Trigger Carbon 1, which I bought as a closeout. Keep in mind that I've had it only a short time, and the whole "all-mountain" world is new to me, but I think this bike is amazing. For me, it's a total game-changer in terms of confidence going down and ease going up. It's the 27.5s, for sure (running at 28psi is a total revelation), but it I demo'ed 2 Norco "Range" bikes and an Ibis "Mojo 3", and the Trigger is totally different. Everything about it is super balanced, and the Dyad works really, really well. The "two bikes in one" is real- the thing is a completely different animal when you flip the switch. Actually it feels just like the Tallboy climbing (but with a little more compliance and comfort), but I've never ridden anything like it going downhill- on my first ride I was modulating the brakes to raise and loosen the rear end to rotate the bike through corners. I've never been able to do that on a bicycle before, only a motocross bike. There's zero uncontrolled "bounce" going down the rocky sections on Skyline Ridge/Russian Ridge. I've never ridden a downhill bike, but I imagine this is what it's like. I can't imagine a situation where this bike wouldn't excel. The attention to detail and build quality on EVERYTHING is a step up from everything I've seen with the exception of the highest-spec "S-Works" Specialized stuff, which is maddeningly nice. This bike is kind of like the McLaren of MTBs, with an almost silly level of "clean-ness". I think that may be one of the reasons people overlook these bikes- they aren't very raw, I think people see them as "old man bikes", which is fitting since I am an old man.
I really doubt I ever would have paid the $8200 retail for this bike (just because I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it), and I paid well under half that for this bike. I was told it was literally the last one the factory had, which is believable since the bike is a 2016 and the 2018 bikes will be in stores shortly. I am assuming it was so inexpensive because Cannonade is abandoning the Dyad "pull shock" and the new Triggers use a whole different system. I have heard that the Dyad can be problematic in terms of setup and maintenance, so my attitude may change, but right now I couldn't be happier. I think that if Santa Cruz produced this bike, there would be hundreds of them on every trail.

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga Gap & ElCorte Madera systems

Duration Product Used:   6 rides so far

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon Pro, Santa Cruz Tallboy C

Submitted by Matthew Snow a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2014

Strengths:    Suspension, Pedaling, Climbing, Handling, Traction, Light Weight 25lbs

Weaknesses:    Racing Ralph Tires

Bottom Line:
I switched over to the Trigger 27.5 Team Edition after riding and racing 29ers for the past 5 years. The C'dale Trigger 27.5 is an awesome bike that can handle anything in its way. The Ballistec Carbon frame is very stiff with no flex even in the pivot areas, light weight and durable.The Dyad Shock is very tune able and coverts from 140mm to 90mm with the flick of a lever. This also changes the geometry so you can climb more efficiently. The Supermax Lefty One Sided Fork has 140mm of travel and is amazing. It is very stiff and adjustable on the fly.The Trigger rides and handles incredible in the tech and tight singletrack and can really open up on downhills.

Favorite Trail:   Chimney Trail