Cannondale Jekyll 27.5 Full Suspension

The most successful Enduro platform in the world evolves into an all-new race weapon with the 2015 Jekyll. Working with Enduro World Champion Jerome Clementz, we made his winning bike even winning-er with all-new geometry, SuperMax front suspension, a new Fox DYAD rear shock tune with increased travel, and of course, 27.5” wheels. You don’t have to be Jerome to appreciate its perfect-for -Enduro dual nature - you just have to want the most versatile all-mountain bike out there.

Enduro racers, or all-mountain shredders who want to climb fast, but want to descend even faster across the whole range of mountain terrain.

Submitted by Andrew a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2015

Strengths:    Decent value package. Class-leading RS Pike. Tough wheels that are easy to setup tubeless. Pretty stiff feeling platform with a somewhat efficient feeling suspension system. Slackness puts you in a good downhill attack position. Can be ridden on trails as well as downhill runs.

Weaknesses:    Dyad is a nightmare to setup. Schwalbe knobs start ripping off in first 50 miles. Heavier than hell. Sram drivetrain shifts poorly. The bashguard's chainguide causes more dropped chains than if you just didn't use it. High BB height lends itself to sudden washouts and low stability.

Bottom Line:
OK bike, but far worse than my previous Remedy 9. It is a really solid feeling bike and has the specs on paper to do anything from tech trail riding to the odd day at a dh park. Really feel the high weight when hauling it up a hill and over logs. The slack angles put you in a great position for going down, but the front end wanders a lot when going up. The high bb height makes no sense to me, as it makes the bike feel unstable at speeds as it is about 2cm higher than the competition (what were they thinking?!?) The dyad is overly complicated and I never really felt the need to use it aside from long steep climbs. The cockpit is also a mess with three cables coming from each side.

This bike was OK, but really 160mm is too much for normal trail riding. This bike has too many features in an industry that is now focused on more simplified setups.

Similar Products Used:   Trek Remedy 9 29, Fuel EX 8 29, Specialized Enduro Carbon Expert 27.5

Bike Setup:   Stock 2015 Jekyll 3. Swapped for Specialized tires shortly after buying

Submitted by chris

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2014

Strengths:    Cannondale support and warrantee. Amazing torsional rigidity. Dyad shock. 650b.

Weaknesses:    Weight. Highish bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
I managed to bend a seat tube on a 2011 jekyll. Cannondale kindly warrunteed the broken frame. Cannondale said this is their first such breakage and they took good care of me. I should state that I am 250+ lbs. I got the new 650 frame due to Cannondale no longer stocking the 26” in my size. 650 wheels really do make a difference. Hey do roll better. Enough to justify $1600 ($2200 MSRP) in new parts? I would say yes.
I built up my bike very similar to the Cannondale spec. As good as the bike is, the best new addition is the Rockshox Pike. Simply amazing. The 50 mm stem aids descending but does have a mildly negative effect on climbing. I also went with 35mm clamp, 800mm wide bars. These parts combined with the amazing dyad shock make for a mini downhill bike.
The Jekyll is an amazingly stiff frame. The stiffest 6” frame I have tried (mine is aluminum but beats the carbon frames I’ve tried too.) The head angle is raked out enough to make it a monster on the descents. It is not as downhill specific as some even shallower bikes like the Trek Slash…but the Jekyll is more fun on rolling trails. I will admit the Jekyll has lost some climbing ability due to the increase in travel…..but that’s a 10% climbing handicap, exchanged for a 20% descending bump (in this writer’s humble opinion.) The dyad shock is amazingly composed, feeling very similar to a coil on the descents. The Jekyll has really allowed me to push myself more, advance my skills, and put a smile on my face more than any bike I have tried.
The only drawbacks are a mildy porkish weight (31lbs with big tires but otherwise light build), and an unstylishly high bottom bracket. The bottom bracket is not freakishly high, but enough that I add additional sag to my dyad shock ( to the shocks credit, it still behaves wonderfully)