Pacenti Cycles Neo-Moto 27.5 Tires

4.79/5 (29 Reviews)

Introducing the world’s first true 650B MTB tire. The Neo-Moto is already going down as one of the best performing All Condition / All Mountain MTB tires available regardless of wheel size. This tire rolls incredibly fast for its size and its cornering grip is unparalleled. But don't take our word for it; see what riders are saying about this seminal 650B mountain bike tire.

• Size: 650B x 2.30” [approx. 27.7” wheel diameter]
  • Incredible cornering grip
  • Works with Stan’s No-Tubes Sealant
  • Made in Japan
  • Pacenti Cycles Neo-Moto 650B x 2.3 Tire Pro Review

I have really enjoyed my several months of test time on the Pacenti Neo-Moto 650B 2.3 tires, as they have good acceleration, cornering and traction, and excellent braking. The tire was designed by Mr. 650B himself, Kirk Pacenti, who in addition to being a strong advocate of the 650B attributes, was also an early proponent of the 29er. Continue reading →

Submitted by Andrea

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2014

Strengths:    Good grip, corners nicely, rolls well.

Weaknesses:    Paper thin. Tears easily. Had set up tubeless 30-35psi and I've torn two of these, each within first few rides and both in the tread. My trails are smooth and fast, w very few rocks - and I'm 130lbs. I'd love them if they were more durable.

Bottom Line:
    Awesome if they don't tear.

Submitted by Prophet Julio

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, cornering, traction and rolling resistance. Strong construction, over 500 miles and they are doing great. No cuts, tears or ripped knobs.

Weaknesses:    None, other than availability. It was tough to find them, but I am glad that I did.

Bottom Line:
    The Neo Moto is probably the best tire that I have had. They have a nice progressive feel as you lean into a turn. They grip as well as anything I have had (close to the Nevegal 2.35) but they roll much better. They are set up tubeless with Stan's sealant and they have been rock solid here in the rock strewn, root laden trails of New England with lots of thorns. I run them at 28 PSI front and back.

Submitted by doismellbacon

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2012

Strengths:    Just about everything.... It's ________ enough for almost any "trail" purpose.
    Insert any of the following in that sentence.... light, fast, tough, grippy, burly, durable, fat... I'm probably missing some. Wears well, rolls fast, hooks up great climbing, cornering, or braking.

Weaknesses:    Such a great all-rounder can't be the best at the extremes.... It's too much tire for smooth XC race courses. It's not big & burly enough, nor soft & sticky enough to be the boss on extreme sloppy big hit downhill runs.... but it pretty much nails everything in between. Would be nice if they could be had a little cheaper, but with acceptance comes volume, and with volume comes lower prices...maybe?

Bottom Line:
    A superb all-rounder and a brilliant product that helped establish 650b's legitimacy. Not quite as fat & sticky as a Nevegal 2.35, but has better bite in soft conditions and just feels way faster in all but the garliest gnarl. Also, fits a lot more 26" conversion bikes than the big Nev's do. If you're doing any kind of riding other than the extreme weight weenie or big air ends of the sport, this tire's the best bet going.

Submitted by spyguy

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    great traction and looks great.
    love the quality of these tires

Bottom Line:
    overall great tire for 650b, not too many to choose from.

Submitted by derby a Cross Country Rider from Marin County, CA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, long lasting, high traction, easy rolling, easily convertible to tubeless using sealant, relatively light in weight.

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
    In 3 years I have had top performance and durability using 650b Pacenti Neo-Motos for tough trail riding as tubeless converted using Stan's sealant. I would prefer Minion DH tires in 650b for lift assisted DH park use, but these work very well there, with the noticeable added cornering traction of 650b. Very good traction and feel for DH, ideal for AM, especially if there is much pedaling and climbing get there because they roll great.

Favorite Trail:   Sovereign, Goosebury, Flameout

Similar Products Used:   Rampage, Motoraptor, Nevegal

Bike Setup:   650b Mojo HD, Mojo C, Lyrik u-turn coil, PUSH'd Factory Vanilla RC, MX Van R, etc.

Submitted by skinl19 a Racer from Lake Orion, MI

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2009

Strengths:    Great grip, cornering, inspires confidence. Able to run low pressures.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy but being faster in the corners makes up for it. Some rolling resistance on pavement and hardpack but everywhere else you won't notice it.

Bottom Line:
    This tire seems to lock in to the trail and inspire confidence no matter what the trail surface. A little heavier than my normal race tires but the ability to take lines and corners faster and harder makes up for it. I don't normally use a 2.3 on the front of my bikes, especially when racing but I plan on leaving this tire on for a few races to try it.

I tried the Quasi-Moto as well which works fine on harder surfaces and loamy soil but did not handle loose conditions or loose over hardpack. The 2.1 Neo due out soon may be the ticket for racing but for now this version is as good as it gets for the front.

Similar Products Used:   Pacenti Quasi-Moto

Bike Setup:   2009 Cannondale Factory Racing Scalpel, set up 26" rear, 650b front

Submitted by ibikergal a Cross Country Rider from campbell, ca

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2009

Strengths:    Good Grip and Roller

Bottom Line:
    The 650b up front has helped me become better and more confident on technical trails. The tread design is great and has played a big part in my enjoyment on the trail. This tire has good grip in different trail conditions and rolls well. I ride in various conditions and it has handled what I have thrown at it from hard pack, sand to mud.

I run low pressures (24psi) and tubeless without a flat or burp on a Notubes ZTR 355 rim.

Just a great tire!!

Favorite Trail:   Fort Ord

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Resolution and Fast Track

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X with Fox Fork

Submitted by ghawk a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta/Denver

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2009

Strengths:    Rolls and Rolls.

Weaknesses:    Price.

Bottom Line:
    650b's just roll forever.
    Wow no roll offs, burps or flats since installation of these great tires on the Stans rim. I had questions if the bead would hold in the begining. Now it is time to replace the rear tire and I have neve had ONE problem.
    Great grip, (even a bit worn.), running at 22 lbs psi !
    Thanks Kirk for getting us started with the right size wheels for real mountain biking.
    Btw, people say the back tire does not accelerate fast, or hard to get up to speed. Wrong. My wheel build is about the same weight as my Spinergy/WTB Mutano Raptors ! Keeping them rolling is much easier than those 26ers. This comes from testing both tires on the same bike setup.
    Climbing technical is easier, rolling downhill is much better and rolling along the flats, did I mention this tire size and tires just roll?

Favorite Trail:   Deer Creek

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo SL. Stans ztr350/Neo Motos front and back (trimed in back.), Fox Talas RLC, run ghetto tubeless

Submitted by Rainman a Cross Country Rider from AU

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2008

Strengths:    An excellent tire, well designed and executed by Panaracer for Kirk Pacenti. Fantastic grip in the dry.

Weaknesses:
    Lethal in the wet. Slides badly on wet roots and rocks...but then, most tires do.

Bottom Line:

This was the only option for 650B riders until recently. However, Schwalbe and Kenda are into the 650B tire production now too, so we should see other options opening up for riders wishing to try different rubber.

My experience with the Pacenti Neo Moto's are all positive, except for their wet grip.
    In the dry conditions, the Neo is one of the very best tires you can fit onto a bike. It rivals the Panaracer Rampage and the Kenda Nevegal for outright grip and traction. It is a fairly hard compound rubber and wears well, showing little sign of knob reduction during the time I have been using them. The side knobs are meaty and hang on tenaciously in the corners, you can throw the bike in hard and fast and expect the Neo to grip and get you through without any dramas.
    The tread pattern is well designed, the tires roll very nicely for a big knobbed carcass and are quite fast on hard pack. I have had no ripped off knobs or cuts and I give them hell in the rocks where I regularly ride, but there is no sign of damage to this tough tire.
    I run my Neo's as Ghetto tubeless on the new Velocity Blunt rims kindly provided by Stu at Definitive Cycles. No burps, no flats and no problems...and i've really tried to roll them off the rims and burp them, but they are ... s o l i d!

Kirk is to be congratulated on his foresight and courage in funding this tire and it's smaller brother, the Quasi. He has opened up a whole new wheel size for riders everywhere to use and enjoy.

The Neo Moto is a very good tire. It deserves to do well and I really like these tires on my Ibis Mojo. If you want to see what railing corners is like at high speeds and extreme angles of lean then try the 650B Neo Moto on the front of your 26" bike. You will NOT be disappointed.

Definitely worthy of full marks in the dry, but i'm dropping a mark off because of their wet weather performance.

Rainman.

Favorite Trail:   Local

Purchased At:   Donated By Definitiv

Similar Products Used:   Pacenti Quasi Moto.

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo 650B.

Submitted by dieselcruiserhead a Cross Country Rider from Park City, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2008

Strengths:    Very high quality manufacturing, perfect weight to strength ratio, appear to work well tubeless, corner very well, stick like glue, and in general an awesome tire. Right up there with the very best MTB tires I've ridden.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of, other than the expensive price.

Bottom Line:
    Basically a very smart tire, right up there with the best and smartest MTB tires I have ridden and liked. Very high quality manufacturing, the casing is a couple layers and the lugs show an attention to detail not found even on other Panaracer tires (Panaracer is the manufacturer of the NeoMotos). The lugs are good and aggressive but small enough and placed intelligently where they are not weight bombs, corner well, and have great traction. They are also smart where there are larger tires you might be tempted to run but these do the job of all of them. I also tried the Quasi Motos in the rear (which were also good) but in the end choose to run the Neos front and rear (and will probably continue to do so), they feel more balanced and it feels more powerful this way. I eventually figured do run the Neo backwards in the rear though for more climbing traction, this also seems to help. 650b for me was a logical choice as I wanted a more AM setup than the 29er full suspensions out there, I wanted 5" but I wanted some of the benis of a slightly larger wheeled bike like a 29er. In the end, I haven't been disappointed at all. And luckily, the first 650b MTB tire out there also happens to be one of the best tires I have ridden.

Similar Products Used:   Quasi Moto, and dozens of 26er and 29er tires including many I consider "similar" such as Panaracer Rampage, Kenda Nevegal, WTB Motorapter, and others.

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Bas tardo 650b 5" travel bike. About 30 lbs, XT everything, good strong Hadley/Sun Ringle/DT Comp wheelset, light but strong aluminum seatpost/stem/handlebar/BB7 brakes. I weigh about 225 so with gear this is a lot of weight on the NeoMotos. I have also ridden them heavily, 2-3 times per week and they are my universal go-to tire for everything.

Submitted by nightfire a Weekend Warrior from Warwick, Warwickshire, UK

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2008

Strengths:    Grip!

Bottom Line:
    A really lovely ride, loads of grip similar to many of my 29er tyres. Most likely due to the large contact patch. The large outer diameter helps the wheel to roll over large obstacles but being smaller than a 29er wheel means I have no toe overlap issues any more.

Similar Products Used:   I wish there where more to compare it with.

Bike Setup:   Custom aluminium frame running 650B wheels

Submitted by Bret a Racer from Las Cruces, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2008

Strengths:    Knob design is as good as it gets. Side knobbies are strong enough for severe cornering forces. Low rolling resistance considering the amount of traction.
    Great for tubeless conversion.
    Perfect balance between traction and wear.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't last forever.
    Some may say its mass is a weakness(mine was 750g), but they may not understand that the benifits obtained by this tire are due to the careful placement of its material. Any less material and it would not be the tire it is.

Bottom Line:
    I ride in very harsh conditions and even though I have ridden the tire only about 100 miles it is showing little signs of wear. I go through more tires here by far than any other place I've been so that is saying a lot.
    The tire RAILS -> Cornering is top notch. The neo-moto should be used as tubeless. It cannot be called tubeless ready because it does not have the inner butyl liner, but as long as you put in the proper amount of sealant it will not fail you. I've got a few cactus thorns in it now and it just does not leak air. The race I did last Sunday was 30 miles of jagged rocks, sand and gravel and it just hung in the corners and flew over the rocks.
    I happily give this tire the top rating.

Bike Setup:   Front only. Stans ZTR 355 with yellow tape. I run about 28psi.

Submitted by John Schott a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City, Utah

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2008

Strengths:    Great traction in all conditions! Thanks to a 2 week long mtb vacation I've ridden this tire on slick rock, hard pack red dirt, wet tacky condtions, loose rocky dry conditions, deep snow, hard pack snow, and as of late muddy conditions. These tires give ample traction without the rolling resistance one would expect out of a tire this big and knobby. It's high volume gave plenty of pneumatic suspension even in the most gnarly terrain. They seem to be wearing quite well even with all the slick rock they've seen in the past month. They shed mud much better than the Panaracer Rampage tires I've been running on my 29er which is a definate plus for those early spring rides.

Weaknesses:    None to speak of yet. I did get 2 flats in one lap at 24 hours of Old Pueblo, but it's my fault for not running any sort of tire protection; eg: slime tubes, tubeless, or tire liners which I found out were a must for that particular venue.

Bottom Line:
    It's hard not to review this tire without talking about the 650B wheel size. I have spent plenty of time on both 29" and 26" bikes in the past 3 years and spent a lot of time on all 3 wheel sizes in the past 3 months(all with similiar tire sizes and tread design). In these 3 months I have concluded that maybe it's not so much that this tire is well thought out and designed(which it seems to be) as much as the 650B seems to be the ultimate trade off between 26 and 29" wheel sizes. Having a bit of a background in dirt jumping, trials, as well as the nerdiest of xc racing, I like ~fast~ flickable and nimble bikes. If there's any chance of affording myself some air on the xc trails I'll take it! Yet there's no denying the benefits of a big 29" wheel and their momentum carrying powers. With 29ers I have always felt that the flickable part wasn't always there for me in all situations. And after having spent time on these 29" wheels their trail smoothing qualities were missed when I hopped back on 26" wheels. For me the 650B has that same flickability factor as a 26" wheels yet they seem to afford the same rollability and traction as the 29ers without all the rotating mass, long wheel bases, and long chainstays.
    Back to the tire. This tire with the help of it's size has given me the best traction to rolling resistance ratio I have had yet in any mountain bike tire. For the rough rocky terrain I am in right now it's absolutely perfect. The tough casing, high volume, ample knobs, and supple ride quality are really apreciated. I am however looking forward to the Quasi Moto and other "go fast crowd" tires for those smoother buffer trails I'll be riding back in Michigan; as well as some of the tamer trails and race loops out here in Utah.
    If you're remotely considering the 650B wheel size, just do it and you won't be disappointed. The more I ride my 650Bs the more I wonder where they have been all my riding life!

Favorite Trail:   Flow Trails, Marquette Michigan