Scott Scale Series 27.5 Hardtail

The Scale series of bikes uses the new 27.5" wheel standard and is designed for maximum efficiency and minimal weight. These bikes have modest amounts of front suspension and are the lightest in their class.

Submitted by Alex Ward a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2014

Strengths:    Lightweight
Very Responsive Handling
Drivetrain Components are Very Durable

Weaknesses:    Remote lockout is another piece of equipment to worry about
Fork is a little on the cheaper end but is by no means a bad fork
Pedals are lacking grip (Top side of pedal has more grip than bottom; go figure)
Stem is a little long so you may feel stretched out; (I just had my local bike shop replace it with a smaller stem when i bought it; no charge)

Bottom Line:
This bike absolutely shreds! If you are looking for a bike that kills it on the flow trails, this is it. It weighs in around 27 pounds, so it is about average for an XC bike. However, the weight must be distributed really well because you can whip this thing around so easily. You can get some really solid bunny hops because it is so light. I had a problem with the Rockshox XC 30 Fork. It absolutely would not lock out. We ended up calling SRAM and they upgraded me to the XC 30 Gold (without remote lockout) for free. I actually was against the remote lockout because it was another piece to fool with.

I have taken this bike to Dupont State Forest, Chilhowee Recreation Area, and Tanasi Recreation Area a lot. All three of these locations are known mountain bike areas, but are by no means fully maintained. These locations have a lot of steep gradient trails with many obstacles, but I never felt as if the bike couldn't handle it. It will do small (2-3 foot) ledge drops and you don't feel like you are abusing it. It is hard to explain, but the handling on this bike is magnificent. It feels so natural when you get in the zone on those bombing downhills.

Highly recommended for someone looking for a good multi purpose bike. I ride it to work, I play around on urban obstacles, I take it to the mountains.

Purchased At:   R&B Cyclery- Frankli