Giant XtC Advanced 27.5 27.5 Hardtail

When every gram, pedal stroke and ounce of control matter most, this is the choice for Giant’s World Cup XC pros. Handcrafted with Giant’s Advanced-grade composite, and purposefully engineered for the fast, stable 27.5-inch wheel platform, the all-new XtC Advanced 27.5 is the perfect balance between speed and control. The OverDrive 2 steerer tube produces flawless front-end handling even on rough courses. The combination of the MegaDrive downtube and PowerCore bottom bracket offer a super responsive and efficient chassis. Thoughtful touches including the integrated seat clamp and internal cable routing round out this unrivaled XC racer.

Submitted by JP a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2013

Strengths:    I have the XTC Advanced 2.

Light, comfortable, superb handling, nimble, playful, excellent spec and great geometry.

Weaknesses:    Handlebar width, overdrive 2 limits stem choices, Fox EVO on the heavy feeling side of things.

Bottom Line:
I'll start off with I'm no racer just a very avid MTB rider who just loves riding and it doesn't matter what bike. I don't get podiums nor could I ever get KOM's on local trails. I post average/mid pack lap times in 24hr races and love descending way more than climbing. I am Joe average.

I was going to buy a 29er again until I rode this bike. It is an absolute rocket and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I tested an XTC 29er composite as the Advanced 27.5 was the same price (because it was slightly used). The 29er felt like a boat in comparison to the 27.5.

The 27.5 wheels do not roll as well as 29ers but for someone of my height 5'5' (1.67cm) with short legs and a long back the trade off to a more comfortable and better fitting bike has been worth it. This bike has beaten many of my Strava PR's on trails I have ridden many times on my Santa Cruz Blur or my old Scale Carbon 29er including descending trails where one would think my dually would have an advantage. You can push the front end really hard into tight and rough corners and the things just tracks through. I'm guessing the overdrive 2 steer has something to do with it. In many ways it feels very similar to my 2012 Giant Anthem 26er that I had a year ago. No fuss you just get on and pedal and it takes care of the rest.

The compliance of the rear end is excellent and for someone coming from riding only a dual suspension for the past year and with the tubeless setup I've been able to drop the pressures to absorb some of the trail chatter without the rims complaining. I weigh 195 pounds (90kgs). The frame does have the carbon downside where it can feel a little disconnected from the trail which leads it to feeling like a slow bike. I guess it means I push myself a little harder because of that feeling.

Spec is great with full XT and XTR for hassle free drive train and excellent stopping power. The Giant branded wheels are quiet good and are meant to weigh approx 1650gs but I love Stan's wheels so I've bought a set to try out. The 142 x 12 rear axle is great, Fox evo fork is workman like but I would love to have a FIT dampener given I'm used to one from my Santa Cruz, stock Giant bars feel a bit narrow for me. Fizik saddle is great one of my all time favorites. Its a bike where you dont think about spec when you are riding so everything must be doing its job right.

I would recommend the bike to anyone looking for a mixture of handling and speed in a good all round package that tends to ride just as many snaking, twisting trails as they do wide open trails. In the right hands a racer could smash a field to pieces in a crit race or timed event. I imagine the lower back would start to hurt in a 3hr+ ride though.

Great product Giant you seem to have gotten this on right compared to your 29ers.

Favorite Trail:   Mount Stromlo, Canberra ACT

Purchased At:   Onya Bike Woden

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur C 650B'd, Scott Scale 930 29er, Niner EMD, On one Inbred 26 SS,

Bike Setup:   Stock except Crank Bros 700mm carbon bars, CB cobalt grips, Maxxis 2.1 Crossmarks tubeless, Stan's crest wheels, wolf tooth components 34t chainring.