Giant Talon 27.5 Hardtail

• Shifters: Shimano Deore
  • Brakes: Shimano M395, hydraulic disc, 160mm

Submitted by Graham a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2015

Strengths:    Price, Componentry, Set Up, Lightweight

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Just echoing the review by Todd on 1st August 2015. The Talon 4 is my first new bike, I'm early 50's, and have been mountain biking around 20 years. The bike was a run out 2015 model and cost New Zealand NZ$675 replacing my old second hand Bauer Devils Peak.The bike is incredible value for money for someone wanting to get back into the mountains and trails to just ride without doing the party tricks. I'm 6'.3" and the XL size with the Talons wider handlebars, 27.5 wheels and hydraulic brakes are just perfect. Don't pay too much attention to reviews talking about "lower end of the scale" componentry as we're not all world champions. Buy a bike based on affordability and a realistic view on what you hope to achieve - for me the Talon 4 ticked all the boxes.

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2015

Strengths:    Light aluminum frame, 27.5 wheels (awesome), brakes are great.

Weaknesses:    Front fork is stiff and heavy.

Bottom Line:
Looked at a lot of bikes for less than $1000 and the Talon has best bang for your buck. It was a big change going from my 1992 GT (no suspension steel frame 26" wheels). Lovin' the 27.5 wheels and size large aluminum frameI ('m 6' 195 lbs). I'm looking into the Suntour upgrade program and plan to get into an air shock. I've heard people badmouth the brakes, but I think they are great (good stopping power and NO noise!). Very pleased with my purchase :-)

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2015

Strengths:    Decent components for the price for sure...smooth shimano shifters and drive train. Love the hydrolic brakes. Great looking bike with a solid frame and quality paint job. Like the quick and easy lockout for the front forks as well. 27.5" tires roll beauty and climbs well. An excellent 'entry level' quality XC hardtail bike.

Weaknesses:    Only put about 30 hours on the bike so far but zero complaints. Front shocks a bit stiff at first but a quick adjustment for my weight solved that.

Bottom Line:
This is my first new bike in over 20 years. I'm in my mid 40's now and quickly realized when began to research things just how far bike technology has come over that time. Honestly it was a bit overwhelming. So many manufacturers and an enormous amount of different levels of components. My Talon is actually a 2016 model. I live in the interior of BC Canada which has become a mecca for all types of XC and downhill biking. We had an early spring and our local stores quickly started selling out of 2015's which forced some companies to start shipping the newest models to meet demand. My bike was $730 excellent value for the money. It suits my moderate XC riding beautifully, great on roads and trails. I would recommend this bike for anyone getting back into biking. It wont break the wallet, performance for the price is outstanding, and the resale by the looks of things is good too if you decide to upgrade. Very difficult here to find a used Giant of any level. (good sign) Great bike!

Submitted by Derek

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2014

Strengths:    Great components for the price, very lightweight, good cornering and role over ability. Shifts like a dream. Decent price. Blacked out frame looks sweet!

Weaknesses:    I did replace the seat with a serfa tailbone only because I have become accustom to the softer seats. However, I will admit that the seat that came on it was softer than some stock seat on bikes I have bought.

Bottom Line:
I had decided after riding a hard rock for years it was time to upgrade to a bike with better components and disk brakes. After doing a couple of demo rides on 29ers and then taking out a 27.5 I began to realize that the 27.5 had the good rollovers of the larger diameter wheel with additionally the good pulling power of like the 26er. the thing that I noticed the most though was the cornering ability. I felt like I could actually ride faster on the 27.5 then I could on my 26 due to its ease to carry momentum. My 26 was a more fat tire model which made a big difference because with this I was able to learn how to really corner which I carried over to the new 27.5. The skinner tires make you more attentive to keeping hands on bars due to them being less stable to a fat tire. The brakes are absolutely fantastic they are not too grabby. I was also amazed at how light the frame was. It's so much lighter than the Specialized Hardrock I used to have. I'm saying that but I want people to know that I'm not brand specific. I have road Gary Fisher's, Trek, and specialized but now that a local dealer has picked up Giant and they are one of the few bike manufacturers that you can get a large and extra large frame with a 27.5 wheel it was the main reason for me going with the giant company. Anorther good thing is it hae presta valves and a 3x10 gearing. Let me say this, 10 gear rears are the way to go! I hardly ever find myself needing to change front rings. The best thing of all though was all of the good components that I got and the things that I was looking for in a bike for the price that they had listed. This combination I feel will be a great entry level bike to mid-level bike for anybody who is a step up above amateur or beginner.

Submitted by Travis

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2014

Strengths:    1. Lightweight for the price
2. Air fork and great components
3. The brakes are amazing

Weaknesses:    Crank arms will need loctite to stay on
Seatpost bolt isn't very good and also required loctite

Bottom Line:
I switched to this bike after riding a slightly upgraded 2007 Gary Fisher Marlin for many years. It was the result of getting fed up with the limitations of an old platform and desperately wanting hydraulic disc brakes.

Over the span of a few weeks I test rode many bikes including the Salsa El Mariachi 1, The Specialized Crave, and The Trek X-Caliber 8. These were legit test rides and not just a few laps in a parking. I can honestly say that, apart from the Salsa (which I did not purchase due to price and not wanting to wait for an order), this bike outperformed every other model I test rode. The componentry, wheel size, and performance make it a great buy that will provide many years of enjoyment.

I entered the market searching for a 29er and ending up leaving with a 27.5. Now, I don't have enough experience with 29ers to lay claim to a defensible position for any wheel size but I can say that I've been tremendously happy with my bike thus far.

I ride it a least two times a week over North Florida trails that feature roots and sandy conditions in abundance. Compared with my old 26 inch wheels, the 650b platform is a godsend. I am able to comfortably roll over obstacles that were much more disconcerting on my old bike. The cornering ability of this bike compared with a stellar braking system allows much quicker entry into turns and I find that Talon will hold the line confidently.

Florida trails are obviously much different than what other parts of the country may offer, but I feel the technical challenges that do exist may often be disregarded by more mountainous states. Floridians must contend with frequent wet conditions as well as sand and roots being present in nearly every trail that I ride. These elements combined with steep if short climbs require a bike that maintains its composure in dynamic enviroments. This is where the Talon shines. The Schwalbe Rapid Robs have served me well. They are very grippy and VERY fast. I have only popped a tube once and it was a pitch flat from a botched bunny hop that was more my fault than the bike.

The two issues that have occurred are as follows.

The crank tends to loosen from the bottom bracket quite frequently. I have ensure that it was torqued to spec by both myself and bike mechanics at the store where I bought it.

The seatpost bolt (the one under the saddle) also comes loose and I have also ensured that this was torqued to spec as well. Both of these have been fixed with loctite blue thread locker, however, the bottom bracket issue was disconcerting as the time first time I noticed it I was pretty far out in the woods and walked it back to avoid damaging anything. My park tool allen wrenches were not enough to to supply sufficient torque.

Other than these two issues, the bike has been amazing and I can't recommend it enough. It has been describe as an entry-level bike but it feels like so much more. Deore and XT components, hydraulic brakes, bleeding edge wheel size, and amazing tires deliver great performance at a cost that doesn't require a mortgage or auto loan.

Submitted by robbieblueyes

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2014

Strengths:    Hey guys, in early fifties, lifetime surfer world wide, got into MTBiking again! I wanted performance, speed for on- road, strength, reaction for off- road, this bike flies and performs, best of both worlds if you push it ( not extreme! ). Great bike so far! Price matches bike. 27.5"- just right! Off to risk my neck, on my SkateB! Stay well.

Weaknesses:    Pedals are crap (???). 6'2" and feet to match! If your budget can cope, whack on ' Shine ' PD-MX80 pedals, remove spacer's and you will feel it. Giant, if you read this, you owe me £60 smackers!!!

Bottom Line:
Deliverer's in most area's. Apart from the above weakness! 27.5" is worth going against the industry grain!

Submitted by Forrest O'Connor a Racer

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2014

Strengths:    The Rock Shox fork has great travel at 100 mm. It has a lockout system with a whole range of travel options.The bike is incredibly light for its cost and take quite a hit.The hydraulic Disc brakes from Shimano stop smoothly and fast. I ride mine faithfully and beat it up hard on the trail. For this price this is a quality bike!

Weaknesses:    Only weakness is the components.

Bottom Line:
This bike is worth the cost and I recommend this for a beginner into racing.

Submitted by Jason

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2013

Strengths:    tough frame, great brakes, tracks like its on rails and eats up almost everything ive thrown at it

Weaknesses:    front fork is a little cheap feeling

Bottom Line:
Honestly, im not sure if im qualified to review a MTB as this is my first not bought from walmart but it is an outstanding bike! Ive always ridden but just recently gotten into hardcore trail riding out here in the deserts of NV and my last bike got destroyed within 40 miles of hard riding. I knew it was time to move up. Having rented Konas in the past, i knew what a real MTB felt like and this one is no different. AWESOME! I

ve riddent this thing hard and it takes all the punishment i can give. The 27.5 wheel size isnt as dramatic as I thought it would be but thats a good thing. as I feel no weight difference from the 26 inch. I can navigate terrain that would make me flip over the handlebars with my walmart special. I got the Large frame and im 6 ft 210. It fits like a glove. The seat feels great and the bars are wide and make me feel planted. Shifting is flawless so far.

In summarry, if your getting int othe sport, this is a great option. The new wheel size is much better than the traditional 27.5 size yet the weight is not noticable. I recommend!

Submitted by Connor

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent for speed light weight good for up hill dirt riding

Weaknesses:    I could not find a weakness

Bottom Line:
Get one

Submitted by jake ninehouse

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2013

Strengths:    climbs like a champ
fairly light weight
responsive while climbing
generous tubing
rugged and durable(trust me im a noob and i beat the SH** out of it)
awesome brakes

Weaknesses:    the fork. it doesnt match how good this bike is and i didnt realize how it compared until i got on a couple bikes with good forks. it holds the bike back a lot, but im gonna keep it until it breaks.

the seat...seriously horrible. i swapped it out for the stock seat of a specialized hard rock
the tires. maybe its just me but i always get flats with any air pressure

Bottom Line:
awesome bike. im learning quick on it. im keeping most components stock until i break them. there are definitely better bikes out there but for 570 you cannot do better. i picked up the following items soon after purchase:

raceface bashguard
wellgo mg1 flat pedals
specialized hardrock seat
5.10 free riders
camel back

my noob set^

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!