Giant Talon 27.5 Hardtail

• Shifters: Shimano Deore
  • Brakes: Shimano M395, hydraulic disc, 160mm

Submitted by Travis

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2014

Strengths:    1. Lightweight for the price
2. Air fork and great components
3. The brakes are amazing

Weaknesses:    Crank arms will need loctite to stay on
Seatpost bolt isn't very good and also required loctite

Bottom Line:
I switched to this bike after riding a slightly upgraded 2007 Gary Fisher Marlin for many years. It was the result of getting fed up with the limitations of an old platform and desperately wanting hydraulic disc brakes.

Over the span of a few weeks I test rode many bikes including the Salsa El Mariachi 1, The Specialized Crave, and The Trek X-Caliber 8. These were legit test rides and not just a few laps in a parking. I can honestly say that, apart from the Salsa (which I did not purchase due to price and not wanting to wait for an order), this bike outperformed every other model I test rode. The componentry, wheel size, and performance make it a great buy that will provide many years of enjoyment.

I entered the market searching for a 29er and ending up leaving with a 27.5. Now, I don't have enough experience with 29ers to lay claim to a defensible position for any wheel size but I can say that I've been tremendously happy with my bike thus far.

I ride it a least two times a week over North Florida trails that feature roots and sandy conditions in abundance. Compared with my old 26 inch wheels, the 650b platform is a godsend. I am able to comfortably roll over obstacles that were much more disconcerting on my old bike. The cornering ability of this bike compared with a stellar braking system allows much quicker entry into turns and I find that Talon will hold the line confidently.

Florida trails are obviously much different than what other parts of the country may offer, but I feel the technical challenges that do exist may often be disregarded by more mountainous states. Floridians must contend with frequent wet conditions as well as sand and roots being present in nearly every trail that I ride. These elements combined with steep if short climbs require a bike that maintains its composure in dynamic enviroments. This is where the Talon shines. The Schwalbe Rapid Robs have served me well. They are very grippy and VERY fast. I have only popped a tube once and it was a pitch flat from a botched bunny hop that was more my fault than the bike.

The two issues that have occurred are as follows.

The crank tends to loosen from the bottom bracket quite frequently. I have ensure that it was torqued to spec by both myself and bike mechanics at the store where I bought it.

The seatpost bolt (the one under the saddle) also comes loose and I have also ensured that this was torqued to spec as well. Both of these have been fixed with loctite blue thread locker, however, the bottom bracket issue was disconcerting as the time first time I noticed it I was pretty far out in the woods and walked it back to avoid damaging anything. My park tool allen wrenches were not enough to to supply sufficient torque.

Other than these two issues, the bike has been amazing and I can't recommend it enough. It has been describe as an entry-level bike but it feels like so much more. Deore and XT components, hydraulic brakes, bleeding edge wheel size, and amazing tires deliver great performance at a cost that doesn't require a mortgage or auto loan.

Submitted by robbieblueyes

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2014

Strengths:    Hey guys, in early fifties, lifetime surfer world wide, got into MTBiking again! I wanted performance, speed for on- road, strength, reaction for off- road, this bike flies and performs, best of both worlds if you push it ( not extreme! ). Great bike so far! Price matches bike. 27.5"- just right! Off to risk my neck, on my SkateB! Stay well.

Weaknesses:    Pedals are crap (???). 6'2" and feet to match! If your budget can cope, whack on ' Shine ' PD-MX80 pedals, remove spacer's and you will feel it. Giant, if you read this, you owe me £60 smackers!!!

Bottom Line:
Deliverer's in most area's. Apart from the above weakness! 27.5" is worth going against the industry grain!

Submitted by Forrest O'Connor a Racer

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2014

Strengths:    The Rock Shox fork has great travel at 100 mm. It has a lockout system with a whole range of travel options.The bike is incredibly light for its cost and take quite a hit.The hydraulic Disc brakes from Shimano stop smoothly and fast. I ride mine faithfully and beat it up hard on the trail. For this price this is a quality bike!

Weaknesses:    Only weakness is the components.

Bottom Line:
This bike is worth the cost and I recommend this for a beginner into racing.

Submitted by Jason

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2013

Strengths:    tough frame, great brakes, tracks like its on rails and eats up almost everything ive thrown at it

Weaknesses:    front fork is a little cheap feeling

Bottom Line:
Honestly, im not sure if im qualified to review a MTB as this is my first not bought from walmart but it is an outstanding bike! Ive always ridden but just recently gotten into hardcore trail riding out here in the deserts of NV and my last bike got destroyed within 40 miles of hard riding. I knew it was time to move up. Having rented Konas in the past, i knew what a real MTB felt like and this one is no different. AWESOME! I

ve riddent this thing hard and it takes all the punishment i can give. The 27.5 wheel size isnt as dramatic as I thought it would be but thats a good thing. as I feel no weight difference from the 26 inch. I can navigate terrain that would make me flip over the handlebars with my walmart special. I got the Large frame and im 6 ft 210. It fits like a glove. The seat feels great and the bars are wide and make me feel planted. Shifting is flawless so far.

In summarry, if your getting int othe sport, this is a great option. The new wheel size is much better than the traditional 27.5 size yet the weight is not noticable. I recommend!

Submitted by Connor

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent for speed light weight good for up hill dirt riding

Weaknesses:    I could not find a weakness

Bottom Line:
Get one

Submitted by jake ninehouse

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2013

Strengths:    climbs like a champ
fairly light weight
responsive while climbing
generous tubing
rugged and durable(trust me im a noob and i beat the SH** out of it)
awesome brakes

Weaknesses:    the fork. it doesnt match how good this bike is and i didnt realize how it compared until i got on a couple bikes with good forks. it holds the bike back a lot, but im gonna keep it until it breaks.

the seat...seriously horrible. i swapped it out for the stock seat of a specialized hard rock
the tires. maybe its just me but i always get flats with any air pressure

Bottom Line:
awesome bike. im learning quick on it. im keeping most components stock until i break them. there are definitely better bikes out there but for 570 you cannot do better. i picked up the following items soon after purchase:

raceface bashguard
pump
tools
camel back

my noob set^

Upgrade Giant Talon Drivetrain?

Hi, I just purchased a 2015 Giant Talon 4 (27.5), and I have already upgraded the fork to a Suntour Raidon through their upgrade program. Now I'm thinking about upgrading drivetrain, but I don't know what is compatible with my bike. I like the idea of going 1x10, so I was looking at 1x10 groupsets ... Read More »

Aquaminor Talon Action Camera Mount On Kickstarter

[COLOR=#333333][video=youtube;Vn7BVnocmsk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn7BVnocmsk[/video][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333] My name is Brian from Aquaminor. I would like to pass along news about our product called Talon that is now featured on Kickstarter. Talon is our game changing Gopro action camera mo ... Read More »

Giant Talon 29er equivilent?

Hi - Been looking for a new 29er and liked the feel of the giant talon 29er but not a big fan of the all black look.... does anyone know of something that is comparable to this size and gearing component and geometry wise?... I need it in an xl frame..appreciate any help...thanksRead More »

2015 Giants - Looking at the Talon 27.5 1 or the Stance 27.5 1

Ok so I want to get back into riding. I never have really rode single track. I rode a small loop 5 or so years ago on my old GT which has been hanging in the garage since. It was really tough, but I think it's more because I was not used to riding single track. [ATTACH=CONFIG]923643[/ATTACH] ... Read More »

Upgrading Giant Talon 29

A little about me. Im 15 and have been riding xc for a couple years mostly in lancaster PA area. When I got into mountain biking a couple years ago I purchased a 2012 Giant Talon 29 2. This was a pretty "beginner" bike which was perfect for my needs. After getting completely hooked into mtb I starte ... Read More »