Diamondback Axis 27.5 Series 27.5 Hardtail

• Axis 27.5” Butted 6061-T6 Aluminum Frame for a lightweight and agile feel in the saddle
  • Custom 27.5” Diamondback SL-7 Doublewall Wheelset for a lightweight and durable ride
  • Hydraulic Disc Brakes for premier stopping power

Submitted by Tony

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2014

Strengths:    Drivetrain and price.

Weaknesses:    Weight and brakes.

Bottom Line:
After getting my ass kicked on my 15 year old Giant FS by my son on his new 29r HT, I decided to upgrade a little. I spent a couple of months testing all of 27.5s under $2000 out there. When the Axis Pro went on sale for 50% of I jumped on it while I could. All the frames are about the same, so why spend the money on a name when you can put that money into the components? The Fox shock is fantastic and the SRAM drivetrain works very smooth! I ungraded to a raiser bar and put VP VX Adventure Race Pedals on. Weight is 29.5#. Still about 6+ lighter than my old Giant FS. At some point in the future I will upgrade the Avid5 brakes that are on there. They tend to squeal some, regardless how much adjusting I do. Unless you are going Carbon, then save your money and buy one of these.

Submitted by cletus a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2013

Strengths:    Geometry, x7/x9 drivetrain, fox fork, schwable tires, wide cockpit

Weaknesses:    Weight, wheels, brakes

Bottom Line:
I found no reviews for this online, hopefully someone else will find this useful.

This review is for the DB Axis Pro 27.5 size 16"

This is the first 27.5/650b bike that I've ridden, so I will not be able to compare it to other bikes in it's segment. I was able to pick up a demo bike for a good price and decided to go for to see what all the rage was about. My other bikes are: stumpy ht and 5spot tnt. I've also ridden a variety of 29er's including the DB overdrive, which this bike is supposedly based on. This bike feels better to me, faster response in turns, lower center of gravity, acceleration, etc... Also I'm not a big rider, so the smaller wheels just felt better.

This bike is a lot of fun to ride, it rolls fast, climbs well, and it wants to just go. The only real downside is weight, mine with xt pedals is over 28 lbs, which is about 2 lbs heavier than my 5 spot. I think at least part of the problem is the wheelset, I will try to upgrade soon. Other than that, this is a great bike. I have put about 60 miles of singletrack on it so far, and everything is solid. I like the Schwalbe tires and the rest of the build kit is pretty solid. I wish it came with shimano brakes, but that's easy enough to change. The handlebar is significantly wider on this bike compared to my other bikes, and it took some getting used to, but it feels great.