Diamondback Axis 27.5 Series 27.5 Hardtail

• Axis 27.5” Butted 6061-T6 Aluminum Frame for a lightweight and agile feel in the saddle
  • Custom 27.5” Diamondback SL-7 Doublewall Wheelset for a lightweight and durable ride
  • Hydraulic Disc Brakes for premier stopping power

Submitted by cletus a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2013

Strengths:    Geometry, x7/x9 drivetrain, fox fork, schwable tires, wide cockpit

Weaknesses:    Weight, wheels, brakes

Bottom Line:
I found no reviews for this online, hopefully someone else will find this useful.

This review is for the DB Axis Pro 27.5 size 16"

This is the first 27.5/650b bike that I've ridden, so I will not be able to compare it to other bikes in it's segment. I was able to pick up a demo bike for a good price and decided to go for to see what all the rage was about. My other bikes are: stumpy ht and 5spot tnt. I've also ridden a variety of 29er's including the DB overdrive, which this bike is supposedly based on. This bike feels better to me, faster response in turns, lower center of gravity, acceleration, etc... Also I'm not a big rider, so the smaller wheels just felt better.

This bike is a lot of fun to ride, it rolls fast, climbs well, and it wants to just go. The only real downside is weight, mine with xt pedals is over 28 lbs, which is about 2 lbs heavier than my 5 spot. I think at least part of the problem is the wheelset, I will try to upgrade soon. Other than that, this is a great bike. I have put about 60 miles of singletrack on it so far, and everything is solid. I like the Schwalbe tires and the rest of the build kit is pretty solid. I wish it came with shimano brakes, but that's easy enough to change. The handlebar is significantly wider on this bike compared to my other bikes, and it took some getting used to, but it feels great.