Trek Remedy 27.5 27.5 Full Suspension

Remedy is the ultimate technical trail bike. Light frame, plush suspension, and precise handling all add up to a stellar ride that goes up, goes down, goes everywhere.

Submitted by mark59

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2013

Strengths:    Stiffness in the BB , strong climber, braking while descending is very smooth, agile handler, traction, XT components, and XT brakes,the rear feels endless and very plush , dropper post, smooth over bumps while pedaling

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any worth mentioning

Bottom Line:
I was lucky enough to spend the whole day demoing this 27.5 Remedy 9.8 , thanks to Shawn at Epicenter Cycling.

I can say I had expectations of this bike's suspension because I had demoed a Remedy 26 inch bike earlier in the year and it was also very plush and had an endless feel to the rear so I knew the characteristics of the Remedy's suspension. After Shawn set the sag I rode off headed for the most technical trails I knew in Santa Cruz.

The first thing I noticed was that the bike fit me like a glove. Which is rare, I have been demoing bikes for some time and that does not always happen. I was fit on a medium and I am 5'8", I was very comfortable on the bike. Pedaling on the streets before I even arrived to the trails I also noticed how well it peddled very smooth and stiff with good acceleration, it felt lively even in the high gear on the street.

When I got to the first climb I locked the fork out and kept the rear shock in trail mode I thought for sure I would not like the rear shock in trail mode because all the bikes I currently own are 29er hard tails and I like to climb out of the saddle allot. I didn't expect this bike to climb well out of the saddle boy was I in for a big surprise.

I never needed to adjust the lever for the rear shock for the entire climb. Just a note it was a steep climb with roots, no heavy rocks, the top gets a bit more technical and there are more roots to climb over. What I started to notice was how agile the bike is to maneuver around the roots much more flickable then the 29er. I don't move my front end much when I ride the 29er, its more of a point and shoot approach. The Remedy 27.5 still went over the roots fine not as easy as the 29er but I was able to lift and put the front tire anywhere I wanted it with ease. Another feature I also liked about this bike is the front end is easy to manual but not so much that on a steep climb it comes off the ground, it stayed planted on the steep climbing sections and tracked well.

When I wanted to lift the front tire over roots or log crossing it was very light and agile. I think the bike is balanced very well.

When I arrived at the top I put both levers in descend mode and dropped the seat, the dropper post worked like a charm all day long and the internal cable routing is pretty sweet. The descending on this trail is fast steep and rocky with jumps, in one section its very steep, and the turns have huge ruts in them you can carry lots of speed on this trail the Remedy performed flawless I took the harder lines which I usually avoid on my hard tail. The first thing that I was thinking was I could have taken it even faster. On the jumps when the bike is in the air it feels light and the landings are plush. The rear shock was set more toward the stiffer side so there was about 20 pounds to work with if I wanted to go softer which after riding it I did let some air out for the last rocky decent and boy was it smooth. At this point in the ride it comes to a super tight single track with lot of ruts you can get stuck in a rut or you can pick a line to smooth it out. Now I just let it fly in the ruts out of the ruts it didn't matter I was really seeing the capabilities of this bike. You could let it go and get over your head and it would find its way out. At the end I hit the pavement back to the shop and put both the rear shock and front fork in climb mode it was like riding my hard tail. I can say all my goals were met and surpassed. All the Shimano Xt shifters and brakes worked very well I had no issues with the 2x10, I just demoed bikes this past weekend with the 1x11 and it is nice but not a huge deal for me. What is very important for me was the XT brakes the other bikes that I tried had Avid brakes, that I am not a fan of. The Remedy is perfect for a rider that likes Shimano.

There are a few other things that are hard to ignore if you buy this bike:

Lifetime warranty on the frame,

Trek Care Plus, which is wheel to wheel coverage that includes wear and tear for 3 years ( this is an option)

Life time tune ups from the dealer. I do most of my own work but its still nice to have this support.

Favorite Trail:   Toads

27.5/650b Remedy and Slash?

Check out this tweet. [url]https://twitter.com/ilikesushi/status/357545735874543616[/url] Credible? dunno. Reinvent Top Fuel with 650b? Curious.Read More »