Scott Genius 720 27.5 Full Suspension

The all new Genius 720 features a totally re-designed frame optimized for 27.5" (650b) wheels. The HMF carbon frame is offered in 150mm travel and mid to high end component spec. This is THE ultimate Trail bike.

• Frame: Genius 27.5 Carbon HMF
  • Fork: FOX 34 Talas 650b Evolution, 3 modes, 150-120-Lockout
  • Shock: Scott DT Nude2, 3 modes, 150-100-Lockout
  • Group: Shimano XT / SLX
  • Brakes: Shimano SLX
  • Parts: Syncros 1.5 Serie
  • Wheels: Syncros TR 2.5 27.5
  • Scott Genius 720 Pro Review

The all new Scott Genius 720 is a high-tech carbon bike and is definitely the most advanced bike in our comparison. When it comes to 650b, Scott has been doing plenty of R&D with their World Cup winning racers (on 650b) and their engineers. What does this all mean? It means that Scott has invested a lot of time, money and work into creating a carbon fiber bike with features that will provide a strong, durable, efficient and versatile ride. One of the main technical features of the Scott Genius 720 is Twin Loc. Continue reading →

Submitted by rj2 a Racer

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2013

Strengths:    The SLX brakes are amazing. I couldn't perceive any performance difference between those and XT.
    XT Shadow plus rear derailleur. Chain slap begone.
    Twinlock lever

Weaknesses:    DT Swiss shock not good as my RP23
    No dropper post

Bottom Line:
    To paraphrase Jaws, you're gonna need a bigger bike to enjoy Annadel. Francis was trying to tell me that when he said I could borrow a bike for the pre-Pliny the Younger ride. So, I rode a medium Scott 650b Genius 720. Adjust the fork, shock, and tire pressures, set the saddle height, and ride.

The majority of my riding consists of commuting to work and cross-country racing. My Giant NRS, while great for racing, didn't do so well at Demo. All the things that make the NRS great, steep head and seat tube angles, short travel, and narrow bars, were ill-suited to more technical terrain. I could certainly ride it, but the bike was at or beyond its limits.

I first started riding the bike fully soft and kept getting pedal strikes. In addition, the steering was vague and sloppy. At our first regroup, Francis fixed that by showing me the Twinloc lever. It has three modes, open, traction, and lockout. I never needed lockout, but did most of my riding in the traction mode and switched to open mode for descents. The traction mode puts the shock in platform mode for climbing but leaves the fork fully active. It also raises the bottom bracket thereby increasing the head and seat angles, resulting in reduced pedal strikes and sharper steering. After that, climbing was great.

Coming from 26" wheels, I could definitely tell the difference on a 29er. Even light wheels were sluggish. Not so with 650b. They get up to speed quickly. And the Schwalbe Nobby Nic EVO Snake Skin tires hooked up and didn't pinch flat at low pressure. Riding conditions were hero dirt to slightly damp in the shade.

You can buy a game

I didn't know I could descend that well. It was fun rather than an upper body workout. The Scott gave me confidence to ride aggressively over technical terrain. Set the Twinlock to open, point the bike downhill, enjoy and repeat. This was not only my first ride on the bike, it was also my first time at Annadel. I even dropped someone on the descent. The Scott allowed me to focus on enjoying the ride vs. surviving.