Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon 27.5 Full Suspension

Thanks to the booming popularity of Enduro racing, we've been graced with a new generation of trail bikes that are efficient climbers and stunningly capable descenders. Which is precisely how we'd describe the Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon X0-1 AM complete bike. It's built on the exact same frame...

Submitted by bsprouts a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2014

Strengths:    Light, nimble on the climbs, easy to maneuver downhill where it flat out rails and rips. It carries speed and momentum into and out of corners really well.

Weaknesses:    Perhaps a bit harsh in the very early bits of the travel, it felt like it rode high in the travel. Not really a problem or a weakness, just depends on what you like.

Bottom Line:
I'm saving my pennies for one of these, I think. I got to spend several quality rides on this bike and instantly loved it. It's light but plenty stiff in all the right ways.

It does feel like it rides a bit high in the suspension, especially over the smaller hits. That's not a problem, but I never felt like I sat down in the bike like you might on others. The advantage is you just float over the little bumps on the trail. The suspension still soaks up the big hits with no problem.

The bike pedals really well. Uphill or down, put the power on and the bike responds. It's a very nimble climber for having 150 mm of travel. It can get over roots, logs, rocks on the way up with no problem. I never felt like I was sitting too far back on the steeps - the bike was easy to keep an even weight distribution and keep the front wheel from wandering. It goes around tight and twisty bits really well too.

Downhill is where it shines. It handled all kinds of terrain really well. In flat or banked turns, the bike just rails. It responds really well to rider input - especially if you steer from the hips - just point the hips the bike follows. It carries speed into and out of corners really well. Transitioning from one turn to the next was easy, the bike almost hops on it's own from left to right. Got rollers and bumps? Pump away easily and enjoy the increase in speed. Let off the brakes on a bumpy, straight section and you'll be flying. Steep, rocky descents are no problem, and the bike inspires confidence. Jumping is great too, whether it's a sculpted lip and landing or dropping off a big ledge. The bike uses the full travel without harsh bottoming out, and it feels in control and comfortable through the entire stroke.

Overall this is a great bike. It climbs well and descends well. It's a bike for anyone who doesn't mind pushing the uphills a little and loves to let it fly on the downhills (but probably not a cross country racer, or those who like to really test their times uphill). It's got enough travel to soak up the big hits on many trails (at least the ones I ride), but not so much that the bike looses it's nimbleness or the ability to flick it around when needed. It would be comfortable on all day rides or the quick downhill hit.

Favorite Trail:   Braille

Duration Product Used:   10+ hours

Purchased At:   Loaner

Similar Products Used:   Transition Bandit (26), Trek Remedy 9.8 (27.5), Norco Sight (27.5), Niner WFO (29), Ellsworth Epiphany (26)

Bike Setup:   Full bling carbon - Enve wheels, X11 drive train, XTR brakes, Easton carbon bar.

Submitted by Bill

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2013

Strengths:    Rips downhill and up. This bike is incredibly fun on trails as well as shuttle or lift-accessed runs.

Weaknesses:    I have the XT build that comes with a triple ring setup in the front. I have lost a chain or two in some aggressive rocky lines and on a couple larger jumps. Switching to a 1 X 11 setup that will avoid this in the future.

Bottom Line:
I ride in southern Ontario CANADA. This bike in the perfect Ontario bike by far. I can ride the local trails during the week, hit the 4x and dirt jumps on Saturday and head up to Blue Mountain on Sunday. All with the same bike.

The CTD on the front and rear suspension combined with the dropper seat post really help out on trail rides.

Submitted by Michael Horner

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2013

Strengths:    Looks strong and light

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Bronson Carbon frame weight / size XL with 25 inch top tube.

Bare Frame = 5 lbs 11 oz

Frame with santa cruz seat QR & 142 X 12 MM rear axel QR = 5 LBS 15 oz

Build up will be all XTR /Pike160/130 mm fork / mix of Easton and Thompson parts / Chris King hubs with Stans arch ex rims. Build up / trail review coming soon!

Submitted by j.chap30

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2013

Strengths:    Pedals excellant, goes DH Better. Super Fun. This is the quiver killer.

Weaknesses:    waiting for delivery. maxxis tires are heavy. website says 810 grams scale shows 920.

Bottom Line:
I had a well built light SC Blur LTC before this, aluminum LT and Blur before that and I have ridden Tall boys, Scott 29er hardtails, Giant Anthem's, Nomads, Scott Ransom's, Stumpy's. This one pedals better and is more plush. all that and a bag of chips. I'm setting PR's all over the place on this thing. The weights on the website are a little light, the maxxis HR2 tires are tanks. Pulled those off, went with nobby nic's, pulled off the chain guide and dual rings/shifter and went with race face narrow wide, so 1 X 10 and bike weighs an honest 26.5 lbs with XTR pedals. Took a few rides to get used to bigger wheels, FAST FAST FAST. Oh boy it's ripping good. Hard to think about much else....If you love to ride everything but love the technical-steep and deep goodies, look no further.

Submitted by mattogu

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2013

Strengths:    up down all around the purfect 1 bike does it all!

Bottom Line:
riding for 20 yrs now and this is the first bike i have ridden that is purfect! not one complaint! does it all and does it good!

Custom wheel help for my Bronson Carbon Rim Questions

Hello, I am building a set of custom 650b wheels for my SC Bronson Carbon. I have purchased Profile Elite Hubs and need to decide on a rim and spokes. From my research it looks like Sapim CX Ray spokes would be a good decision?? And what about a wide rim? I have been looking at the Flow EX but w ... Read More »

Ibis HDR 650b SLX or SC Bronson Carbon RAM 27?

The Ibis is a couple of hundred more with these specs. Haven't gotten around to test riding either. It's been hot as hell here and I've just started considering longer travel 650bs instead of mid travel 120-130mm 29ers. Both are at my absolute maximum budget. Any thoughts appreciated. First the ... Read More »

2012 Stumpy EVO carbon or the New Bronson Carbon?

I used to have a Giant Trance X,which is a 5 inches trailbik --------------- Both bike are in my budget and well serve my style of riding I am not sure about the 650B, but I also want to try something new.. For about the same price I can either get a RAM kit bronson C or 2012 Stumpy EVO carbon ... Read More »

2012 Stumpy EVO carbon or the New Bronson Carbon?

Both bike are in my budget and well serve my style of riding I am not sure about the 650B, but I also want to try something new.. For about the same price I can either get a RAM kit bronson C or 2012 Stumpy EVO carbon(old version on sale) the spec one weights about 26lbs; the bronson weights ab ... Read More »

Paid SPAM: large carbon Bronson frame

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=86816&cat=]Santa Cruz Bronson carbon frame large with Reverb - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] Selling my Bronson frame. Including Stealth Reverb, headset, and front derailleur. I only have a couple rides on it. ... Read More »