Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 27.5 27.5 Full Suspension

When XC gets rowdy, the agile and playful Thunderbolt shines. Standing on 120mm of travel and equipped with 27.5” wheels, the Thunderbolt delivers a great mix of intuitive XC capabilities and pure playful trail fun.

Submitted by Garrett a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2014

Strengths:    Everything and beyond. Great climber, nimble downhiller, hunts out every bump and jump, easy to handle and flick around, and extremely patient. I absolutely love this rig. The 130mm Fox 32 is perfect with no flex either which I love. The 650B is always a hot topic but to me it's fits perfectly which I've needed. I'm 5'7" at 165-170lb's. A small 29er is a boat in most cases and a medium-large 26er feels awkward. I decided on a medium 650B and it's a glove.

Weaknesses:    It's not a meathead which in this day and age might bum out those downhill and "enduro" riders. Superb all 'rounder. The bars are a bit crowded with the remote for the suspension so that'll take some time to get used to as does finding the right position for it all. Takes some fiddling. Potentially add a remote for a dropper and there will be zero real estate left. Not a whole lot of room for a big water bottle on top of the down tube but the underside of the down tube has a place for another cage. Maybe the saddle is a bit harsh but I've got a fat American ass.

Bottom Line:
The only real problem is that there is not a whole lot of information on this bike on the internet. At all. Which is insanely frustrating!!! There's not even a ton of press on it from RM. However, I waited since october of 2013 and purchased one in the final week of 03/2014. My first RM and it's definitely bulkier than it looks online, a bit more muscle than anticipated which is great. It's really fast even with High Roller II's on it. Very light at 27lb's (bike shop weighed), the Fox 32 at 130mm is perfect, XT hubs which are indestructible, the geometry is very comfortable and it just sits you in a great position to tackle technical terrain. I could take this to Northstar and bomb down it all day or do a 4-6 hour suffer fest and it has excelled. And for the price point, with a minimum of XT, I am so stoked to finally be the proud owner of this rig. Plus it looks hot which is always crucial!

Favorite Trail:   Any I haven't ridden.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Mike's Velo City, Wi

Similar Products Used:   Any Giant 27.5 and RM Altitude.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Giant stock grips, egg beater pedals, high roller II's and honey badgers.