Rocky Mountain Altitude 730 27.5 Full Suspension

Ride up, ride down, ride up, ride down, ride all day long. With its first in its category Straight-Up geometry and patented SmoothLink suspension system, Altitude is a super efficient climber and a wicked descender. Put this bike in your quiver and you might find it's the only one you ever pull out to ride.

• Frame: FORM 7005 Series Custom Hydroformed Alloy. ABC Pivots. Tapered Head Tube. Press Fit BB. Internal Cable Routing. ISCG05 Tabs. Adjustable StraightUp Geometry + Suspension Rate
  • Fork: RockShox Revelation RL Solo Air 650b
  • Rear Shock: RockShox Monarch RT Custom Valved
  • Tires (RR/FR): Schwalbe Nobby Nic Folding 650b x 2.35

Submitted by Bill Dakai

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2013

Strengths:    For a bike with this much travel it pedals good even with the shock in full open position.

Weaknesses:    Pedal strikes and stiff rear suspension bushings.

Bottom Line:
I ordered this bike in November and picked it up from Blackstone Bicycles last week. The weather here on the east coast hasn't been the best for riding but I have been able to get in about 10 hours in between snow storms. I just wanted to post my initial impressions of how this bike works on our local New England stuff and I will come back later with a follow up after I can really ride this thing. I caught the 29er bug about 5 years ago and have ridden the big wheels exclusively since then but ,to my surprise I had no problem transitioning to the 27.5 wheels on this bike. I like the playfulness and the nimble steering of the smaller wheels and the 150 mm of suspension and slack head angle give me confidence when rolling into a steep chute. There are a couple of things that don't work so good. When riding through a typical New England rock garden I am experiencing more pedal strikes than I did on my 29ers and also when I need to ratchet my peddling to avoid the pedal strikes the low number of engagement points on the cheap hubs become a problem. Also the rear suspension isn't very sensitive to small chatter but I noticed that the linkage pivots are pretty stiff so this concern could remedy itself with more break in time. I'm building a set of better wheels with hubs with a higher number of engagement points to help me ratchet through the rock gardens better and then, if the snow melts, I'm just going to RIDE it and do another review after many more miles pass under the wheels.