Giant Trance SX 27.5 27.5 Full Suspension

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

All new and designed to maximize the benefits of 27.5-inch wheels, Trance SX 27.5 is a gravity-minded trail bike that’s light enough to hammer climbs and smooth enough to crush any descent. The lightweight yet stiff and super-strong ALUXX SL aluminum frame is mated with a longer travel fork (up to 160mm) and 5 inches of proven Maestro Suspension designed. The frame also features Giant’s OverDrive 2 steerer tube technology for razor sharp handling. And gravity-ready components make this an enduro-ready machine that won’t weigh you down on the climbs.

Submitted by Dimitri

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent trail bike, Maestro suspension, awsome color!

Weaknesses:    Weird componentry, a bit too expensive compared to other Giant models

Bottom Line:
This bike is excellent in all ways, I'd only like to underline what I didn't like about it:
Most of Giant Models are plug&play, no need to chenge anything.
But, unfortunately, Trance SX - 2014 is an exception. First of all, brakes are rubbish. Deore shifter will work, but still... Slx would be just 1 dollar more cost to the factory, and in general what the hell is Deore doing on a trail bike in this price range?
The rest of componentry is also a bit cheap - a 'normal' Trance 1 is 550 bucks cheaper and has an SLX-XT mix.
The shocks are decent, but again, they are just Evolution series, Kashima or at least Performance would look more reasonable.
And on top of all this - they install a superexpencive wheelset, $1050 MSRP in US. I find it really weird.
Bottom line - this bike has a much worse price/equipment ratio then the rest of Trance-2014 range. If I were making this bike, I would get a simplier wheelset but better shocks and decent brakes.
But this bike is a kick-ass anyway. And I love it. And it's bronze!!!

Submitted by Erick B a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2013

Strengths:    This bike is really a great all-rounder. I wanted a bike I could take out trail riding once a week, but also one that I could take with me to bike parks up in Canada and Utah. Love the Fox 34 up front, steering is extremely accurate compared to my old 32mm fork. This bike may only have 5.5" in the rear, but I tell you what, with the 27.5's and the geometry, it feels more dialed and plush than my old 6" reign!

Weaknesses:    The Giant dropper seat post is a weakness in my book, There is a small amount of side to side play, and the actuation is not as consistent as I would like. Also for $4000 I would have liked an XT rear D and SLX shifters, but that is a small issue.

Bottom Line:
The Trance SX is a beast of a bike, and surprisingly playful. It likes to pop up and feels like a 26er in the air. Light weight @ 29.5lbs, but component selection built to take a beating. Leave the Fox TALAS in 140mm 95% of the time, but when the going gets rough it's nice to know you can reach down and crank 'er up to 160 and hang on!

Favorite Trail:   Vortex @ Santos